Football Manager 2019

Anyone know any good players for league 2? Got a Grimsby save, into my second season after just missing out on play offs.

I play saves like this all the time (working your way up from the lower leagues) and it just depends what type of players you've signed. I like having a git big Target Man and a fast Advanced Forward/Poacher up top and play long balls when struggling with getting a creative player in. Set up defensive/counter attack. Each save seems to be different for what players I bring in though as I tend to rely on free transfers till L1.

4-1-2-1-2 narrow seems to be the best formation when working your way up the leagues with restricted budgets. Means you can sell your (usually) expensive wingers for a bit of dosh and just focus on bringing in DM/CM/AM's rather than having the chew of catering for wide positions. All your play is centred to narrow and aslong as you have solid fullbacks it works well.

I've also found you only need one playmaker on the pitch (Deep Lying Playmaker or Advanced Playmaker) and teams play miles better with just one. I'll have to check my saves later to see if there's any players I've signed in the past that have done good, but as I say - each save is different as player progression seems to be random in the lower leagues and it also depends on who is being released from Prem/Championship clubs.

One that stands out is Ben Cottrell on my current save. Released from Arsenal in my 2nd(?) season when I got promoted to L2 with Braintree. Signed him up and he was instantly my best player. I'd seen him on other saves and it was a no brainer really. I naively rushed his contract though and it had a £200k release clause (which was still a hell of a fee compared to the rest of the squad). By the end of the season there were 5/6 L1 teams after him and I just missed out on the Play-Offs meaning he wanted to be off and wouldn't sign a new contract. Signed for Forest Green for £200k and instantly had a value of £1.4m at 19 year old. Went to Blackburn in the Championship after that for £7m and now plays for Leicester and England in 2024. The one that got away.:(

Ibrahim Meite was another who I signed from Crawley in an early save. I've looked at him in other saves and he just doesn't seem as good. Played for Spenny with me right the way into the Championship after I signed him for ~100k.

Just got this (via gamepass) and I can't get the licence fix which is shit.

Doing the Bilbao challenge, hammered Valladolid (a) 5-0 and then drew with Girona (h) 1-1

Started again with the lads, went for the 4-2-3-1 gegenpress and we are already promoted with about 6 games to spare. Our strikers have been disappointing though, I’d say Sterling has been the best of the lot and he’s only managed about 17 league goals. Grigg was fairly average before suffering a knee ligament injury which put him out for 9 months.

Finished 6th with the lads in my 8th season. Just can't seem to kick on, held down 4th til just after Christmas then form dropped. Could have finished 5th on the last day had I beaten Man City but could only manage a draw, lost out on Europa League because Spurs Won the FA Cup but finished 7th and Chelsea won the League Cup and finished 8th, bastards.

Spurs sacked Sean Dyche the day after they won the cup :lol:

Into my 4th season with RB Leipzig.

Finally ended Bayern’s dominance in 20/21, I’ve spent a boat load doing it but also recouped a lot due to the bigger clubs sniffing around my players.

Bought De Ligt in my 1st season and PSG met his release clause recently for £125 million however his replacement hasn’t fitted in at all.

Currently 2nd after 8 games, Leverkusen 1st 3 points ahead but I have a game in hand. Bayern are 13th on 8 points and Dortmund are in 8th. Not bothered about Leverkusen as they always seem to start strong and finish poorly.

Here’s to title number 2.

8 games to go on my Bilbao save. Sitting 2nd on 61 points behind Barca on 64. Valencia are 3rd, also on 61, with Real 4th on 59 and Atletico 5th on 60.

Been playing mainly 4-4-2 wing play, but occasionally go either 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1 depending on opposition.

Beat Real 3-1 to put me in the title hunt, but tbh I'll be chuffed with 4th.

Signed a young GK called Ivan Martinez, and Javier Eraso from Leganes. Sold my secondary left back, and that's it. Using the B and C team players when allowed.

Probably the most I've enjoyed FM in ages.

Last game in my first season with Bilbao. Sat 3rd on 80 points, Valencia are 2nd on 81. We're at home to Alaves, whilst Valencia go to Atletico Madrid.

Going to be interesting.

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Well then....

Chuffed to bits. Figured 6th or 5th if i was lucky, but did the double over Real (3-1 at home, 2-1 away), and the only team to beat us twice was Barca. Other losses came against A.Madrid, Vallecano and Valencia.

Last edited:
£12.19 on Steam is well worth the investment.

Holy crap! Is FM19 down to that price at the moment? I'll be buying that in a minute then!

I've still been playing FM18.

What is the new training system like everyone? Better than before?

----------------------------------
12:00
-------

I've done it, I've taken the leap.

Started my first new game on FM19 unemployed with only the South African leagues playable.

Got my first job as manager of Royal Eagles in the second tier, have hired the best part of a backroom team, adjusted my staff responsibilities, picked a 4-5-1 counter-attacking direct tactic to work on at first, stuck half the squad on the transfer list, given trials to eight players of which I've signed two, and am awaiting my first scout reports coming in while playing seemingly a pre-season friendly once every two days for the whole duration of preseason (already organised before I took the job).

HAWAY THE EAGLES!

Board expectations: Playoffs at least, sign and develop young players

Friendlies aren't going great against non-league opposition. We're going to have to step it up when the season starts.

I need loads of signings to replace the players I've listed.

Last edited:
After nearly a decade of not getting past the last 16 inInternational Competitions the FA have parted company with Gareth Southgate and replaced him with Chris Powell who has transformed Bristol City into a yo-yo club on my save :lol:

8th season and top on 95pts with 3 games to go PSG are on 92pts ... Talk about going to the wire could hit 100pts and still not win the league :lol: We’ve still got to play PSG at home so avoid defeat there and all should be good :cool:

I am perennially shite at FM mind. Picked up FM Touch 19 on my Switch and got sacked from Sunderland before Christmas :lol:

Started the season class, went on a massive unbeaten run, hardly conceding at all, then got beat 4-1 off Coventry. Was hit and miss after that but the final straw was getting beat in the FA cup 2nd round. They got rid and hired Karanka, I noticed they were in the play off final but forgot to check how they got on. Joined Spennymoor at the end of May, only just played a couple pre season games so far

I'm enjoying this South African league. Some interesting differences:

- You're only allowed to offer players 1-year contracts, max.
- You have to play at least 3 U23 players in your starting 11 for every match.
- You can register up to 99 players in your squad. :lol:
- Only 1 automatic promotion spot and 2 playoff places.
- Loads of teams share their stadiums with other teams. My stadium is shared with 2 other senior teams, 3 reserve teams and 3 U19 teams (including my reserves and U19s)

My Royal Eagles team is running 4th after 16 matches. Our finances aren't exactly stable, like. We've gone from 1m in credit to 200k in debt over the course of this half-season. :eek:

Might be something to do with our attendances. Highest attendance: 461. Lowest: 141. Average: 269. :lol:

Perhaps I shouldn't have splashed 250k on that striker, with 100k more after 50 league goals and 100k more if we reach the playoffs and he plays 20 games. :lol::oops:

Last edited:
Playing for the first time since 14, finding it really hard to get in to as it's become so complex, feels like a full time job.

What's peoples thoughts on what to have control over and what can be left to assistant?

Playing for the first time since 14, finding it really hard to get in to as it's become so complex, feels like a full time job.

What's peoples thoughts on what to have control over and what can be left to assistant?
I always leave training to my assistant. Individual training I’ll assign but the general team stuff is left to them.

The new training system looks more realistic and is probably better but I just can’t be arsed with it. Don’t think it makes that much difference anyway, players develop plenty if they’re given enough game time anyway.

Interesting, we just won a 25k prize for "achieving 1st place in the Second Period" of the season. I.E. best form in the second half of the season.

Managed to finish 2nd in the table, sending us into the playoffs mini-league along with the team that finished 3rd and the team that finished 2nd-bottom of the league above.

Haway the Royal Eagles! We can do this!

I control everything to do with the first team, and let my reserves manager control everything to do with the reserves and the U19's manager deal with everything to do with the U19's except contract negotiations and signing players. I keep control of those for both reserves and U19's.

I will occasionally add individual training to the best players in the reserves and U19's but otherwise let their respective managers deal with that too.

Last edited:

Back