Football Manager 2019

Anyone gone over FFP? It's nigh on impossible to make improvements on the squad for me now without doing so.
I'm on course to fail with sunderland in the prem currently. All my players demanded large pay rises since we finished 5th, had the money to do it but obviously wages increased too fast so will fail ffp. Seems consequences can be 5 point deduction or a fine? Hasn't hit me yet though, currently in october.

My Auxerre side finished 5th on our return to Ligue 1 on 64pts Lawrence Shankland bagged 16 league goals :cool: as did my ageing LW Romain Phiippoteaux :eek: Europa League here we come

Given only a transfer budget of £569k which I used towards wages so we've relied on free transfers again

Woodman (Mags)
Moriera (A Madrid)
Bielik (Arsenal)
Galloway (Everton)
Allan (Liverpool)
Choudhury (Leicester)
Ponce (Roma)
Manaj (Inter)

Also sold Karlan Grant and Matheiu Michel for a combined £5.3m but I only get 10% of the fees to put towards our transfer budget :lol: The clubs finances are getting better though so hopefully a decent transfer budget next time

Arsehole forced a move to Hull after I finished 2nd in League One, they got relegated and he's spent 5 years without even a sniff of even the play offs :lol:
England manager after years of languishing in the lower leagues achieving nothing. Weird choice. :lol:

I'm on course to fail with sunderland in the prem currently. All my players demanded large pay rises since we finished 5th, had the money to do it but obviously wages increased too fast so will fail ffp. Seems consequences can be 5 point deduction or a fine? Hasn't hit me yet though, currently in october.

I failed FFP for wages once in FM18. Just got a fine for it, no bother. Was only a hundred grand or two iirc.

I think the points deduction is for failing the other side of FFP, the bit about making too much of a financial loss over a certain period of time.

Never had trouble with it. Do struggle with homegrown rules for European squad.

The key to this is in the way you approach scouting/recruitment. I always aim to get to point where I don't need to buy first team players very often, instead spending most of my money on young players with excellent potential who aren't yet ready to play for the first team and then gradually introducing them over the course of three or four seasons until they're ready to replace a first teamer or be sold.

Every season, around March just after I've had my new influx of U18 players, I go to my scouting page and filter the list of all players so that I only see the 15-17 year-olds, put them in order of value and scout them all (to full knowledge) from the top down to those that cost about £50k.

In FM18 you can only do this 50 players at a time, but you can do it as many times as you like, so I end up adding around 800-1000 players. Receiving the reports will continue often into the next season.

As the scout reports come in, I will usually just read the front page of each report until I come to a player with a rating above around 75%, then I'll take a look at his attributes to see if there's anything in there that would definitely hinder him in becoming a first team player, for example a striker with Finishing of 10 or lower at age 16 will never improve to the point where he would make my first team, regardless of his rating. Any player with low Bravery will never make it in any position for my team. Any central defender whose Jumping ability is below 12 at age 16 will never be good enough in the air for my first team (although sometimes with the right other attributes I might sign these anyway and convert them into midfielders or full-backs).

By getting your bids in at this age, you might not be able to actually sign them until they reach the age of 18, but by getting the signing agreement in place before they turn 18 they will be home-grown at the club at the end of the season they turn 21 in, provided you haven't sent them out on loan.

I end up buying probably 8-10 young players a year, sometimes spending up to £30m on one if I'm particularly sure I want them but most of the time it's £1m to £15m per player. Even if they don't make the first team, I'll usually end up turning a profit on them over the course of three years or so with my club.

I use all domestic cup competitions as opportunities for the young players to get experience, usually playing an entire team of U23 players all the way through the competition including the final.

My first team can then concentrate on the league and Champions League and have a rest on cup days.

Most of the time I won't need to buy first team players at all. Occasionally I'll find myself in a situation where none of my trainees are quite up to it for a certain position so I'll break the bank for a player but these are so infrequent that I never have to worry about the HG rules. And I always have so many U21 players at the club that I have plenty of backup for the main European squad too in case of injuries.

I don't know if there's an official term for it, but I call it player farming.

Last edited:
Into my 4th season with Braintree. Took over halfway through the first season and kept them up. Won the Vanarama National the 2nd season and then finished 2 points off a play-off place in League 2 my 3rd season.

Signed Ben Cottrell on a free at the end of my first season. Arsenal had released him and my scout went nuts for him. I'd seen him on other saves playing Premier League/Championship level and even sometimes for England so brought him in. He's been my best player despite being only 17-19 years old but I forgot about a clause in his contract that he could be sold for £200k. When I bought him £200k was about 20+ times the worth of any other player on the team so I probably just blew it over. Tried to tie him down to a different contract but he wouldn't have it. He's just signed for Forest Green in League One for £200k despite his value being £1.4m at 19 years old in League Two.:(

Tried to sign a regen from Crawley to replace him but Sunderland in the Championship snapped him up and won't loan him out.

That's some save that. Have you holiday'd it all to get to to 2054/2064 (bit blurred)? I had a save onto 2044 and Joey Barton was rated the (second;)) best manager in the world and was manager of Portugal. I was just jumping from club-to-club in the Prem so didn't notice until I looked at the leaderboard.

Any chance you could put Honeyman's full biography up for a read. Like to know how he ended up where he is.

Into my 4th season with Braintree. Took over halfway through the first season and kept them up. Won the Vanarama National the 2nd season and then finished 2 points off a play-off place in League 2 my 3rd season.

Signed Ben Cottrell on a free at the end of my first season. Arsenal had released him and my scout went nuts for him. I'd seen him on other saves playing Premier League/Championship level and even sometimes for England so brought him in. He's been my best player despite being only 17-19 years old but I forgot about a clause in his contract that he could be sold for £200k. When I bought him £200k was about 20+ times the worth of any other player on the team so I probably just blew it over. Tried to tie him down to a different contract but he wouldn't have it. He's just signed for Forest Green in League One for £200k despite his value being £1.4m at 19 years old in League Two.:(

Tried to sign a regen from Crawley to replace him but Sunderland in the Championship snapped him up and won't loan him out.

That's some save that. Have you holiday'd it all to get to to 2054/2064 (bit blurred)? I had a save onto 2044 and Joey Barton was rated the (second;)) best manager in the world and was manager of Portugal. I was just jumping from club-to-club in the Prem so didn't notice until I looked at the leaderboard.

Any chance you could put Honeyman's full biography up for a read. Like to know how he ended up where he is.
It is my mate's save and it's all played naturally. He was 100 seasons in a few years back. Sunderland were the only five star rated team and then he sacked off the save for the newer FM. I was gutted. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Five seasons into a save with the lads and it’s the first time I’ve ever seen the World Cup held in Qatar. Was wondering why the charity shield was in the middle of July :lol:

Be interesting to do a save with Bolton Wanderers on next years Football Managers like, can only imagine the struggle; -12 points, about 8 registered players, under a transfer embargo and finances are the absolute bollocks.

Only long-term save I've managed this year is a West Brom save; promoted first time asking and managed to stay mid-table for four consecutive years before I gave up. Been a struggle trying to invest in any others saves.

Five seasons into a save with the lads and it’s the first time I’ve ever seen the World Cup held in Qatar. Was wondering why the charity shield was in the middle of July :lol:

Was baffled meself earlier - thought I’d missed a winter break introduction.

I have just been offered the England job off the back of it like.

Back