Football Manager 2019

I'm doing shite at this with the lads. Couldn't sign anyone apart from frees and loans. Maguire is top scorer on 7. But I've only won 3 games. Currently 20th in the table in October with threats of the sack. Thinking about starting again.
I've also had a shitload of injuries.
Anyone got any tips for formations and signings?

Just picked this up a couple of days ago. Absolutely loving it. Doing cracking with the lads. Didn't play Sinclair much to begin with but yeah scored twice in a cup game so left him in the team and he's becoming my best striker. Maguire my top goalscorer. Oviedo my best performer rating wise, with McGeouch not far behind. Only player I've signed was Ebanks-Landell on loan after letting Loovens leave on a free. Got Shankland signing for £120K in January.

I use this tactic... 4-2-3-1 ATTACK 2.0 for FM19 by ZION | FM Scout

Retraining all my players to suit the tactic as well.

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Started my annual 'Pick the team who came up into Scottish League 2 from the Scottish Highlands league" save.

This year's badboys is Edinburgh City.

My previous teams Queen's Park, Berwick Rangers and Annan are all still in League 2 from previous years. I'm gonna run out of teams in future FM's at this rate

I'm doing shite at this with the lads. Couldn't sign anyone apart from frees and loans. Maguire is top scorer on 7. But I've only won 3 games. Currently 20th in the table in October with threats of the sack. Thinking about starting again.
I've also had a shitload of injuries.
Anyone got any tips for formations and signings?

I got some decent frees at the start of the first season, Lacina Traore, Isaac Cuenca, Stephen Caulker, Robert Huth and Nilmar all free. Brahim Diaz on loan from Man City too, he was way too good for league 1

I got some decent frees at the start of the first season, Lacina Traore, Isaac Cuenca, Stephen Caulker, Robert Huth and Nilmar all free. Brahim Diaz on loan from Man City too, he was way too good for league 1
I restarted my game yesterday and spent time signing better coaches and physio. Only had 1 pre season game so far. Will have a look at those players mentioned. I have signed kirchoff on a free like.

How did you manage to get Traore and Nilmar? Neither would even speak to me :lol:

Traore came straight away for 14k a week, Nilmar took a bit of convincing and I had to restructure my wage budget to afford his wage demands. I'm playing the mobile version which seems a lot easier than the full version, might be something to do with that

This is the first FM I've played since 15, dived straight in with the lads.

Tried to sign Hanlon from Hibs to play at CB but he wouldn't make the switch to League One, then tried to sign a CM from Brentford but he wanted £16k per week so I pulled the plug on that. Ended up just sticking with the squad we've got. Gave the "gegenpressing" pre-set tactic a go in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Beat Charlton 3-1, Luton 3-1, Bury 3-1 (Carabao Cup) and Scunthorpe 2-0. 100% start so far then, can see this season being a walk in the park with the squad we've got, Maja is top scorer already although we've lost Cattermole for 4 months already with a groin injury.

Got the lads promoted winning League One with four games to spare - big rebuild on now as most of the squad will be bottom end Championship at best.

Brought in: Ryan Christie (free); Jack Clarke (1.2M); Jonny Hayes (250k); Jordan Jones (2.6M); Matt Clarke (5M); Ben Davies (4.9M); Ro-Shaun Williams (400k); Todd Kane (200k); Branmir Hrgota (free); Glen Kamara (free); Adam Bogdan (400k); Tyrone Mings (loan); Juan Foyth (loan); Ola Aina (loan); Charly Musonda (loan); Lukas Nmecha (loan).

Shifted Kone, Flanagan, O’Nien, Caulker, and Alexsander Tonev - Honeyman, Rutter and Loovens all left for nowt. Sold Ozturk, Baldwin and Oviedo in my first season as well.

Going to be tough I think, but have a reasonable first team.

Haven’t updated since I started.

But... promoted as league 1 champions then promoted straight away as championship champions. Josh Maja top scored on 30 goals that season.

Now in my third season back in the prem after two straight 9th places finishes. I’ve done fuck all in the cups except winning the checkatrade.

Very different squad now. Only two hanging around are Maguire (weirdly he still seems to produce the goods quite often as a late sub) and Maja, although he’s been largely shite in the premiership and is now 3rd choice.

Usual starting XI as follows:

GK: Alphonse Areola (big money signing this summer at about 13 mil, sold Nick Pope for 18 though).

RB: Serge Aurier (signed on a free this season).
CB: Ben Sheaf (had him on loan from Arsenal in my Championship season with an option to buy, probably my weakest player but a tidy ball playing centre half).
CB: Thilo Kehrer (about 7 million from PSG in the January window).
LB: Matthew Targett (was either free or very very cheap at the start of my Championship season. Club captain now and extremely reliable).

CDM: Fernando Llorente (Free from Madrid this season. Big shoes to fill as I had Douglas Luiz on loan from City who was amazing but couldn’t come back due to work permit. Started well).

CM: Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Signed in the previous January window after Arsenal transfer listed him, think it was about 4 million).
CM: Ivan Rakitic (Free from Barca this season. Stupid wage bill. Shit physical stats. Stupidly good technically and mentally. He’s perfect for what I want him for. Here on a 12 month deal and no more).

Inside Forward Right: Patrick Roberts (Free from City two seasons ago. Very pacy. Was my top scorer last season but seems off the pace this time round).

Left Winger: Sheyi Ojo (Transfer listed by Liverpool last summer window, was very cheap iirc).

Pressing Forward: Dejan Jovelic (signed last January as all my strikers were shit. Coming into his own now).

Loads of bargains to be had. Basically plan who I can get on a free ASAP in advance of a window.

Also managed to sell Mumba for 28 mil plus % of next sale profit. He was very tidy for me but that was too much to turn down.

Max Power is class on this.

I’ve just beat Leicester 2-0 at home in the League Cup. :cool:

He was really good, even started him a fair bit in my first season back in the premiership.

I restarted my game yesterday and spent time signing better coaches and physio. Only had 1 pre season game so far. Will have a look at those players mentioned. I have signed kirchoff on a free like.

Kirchoff is a good shout. I signed him initially and his injury issues are virtually non-existent. Good player in League 1 and decent in the Championship.

Anyone keep having players miss penners? Maguire is meant to be a good taker but he's missed the last 3 he's took Power and Grigg have missed for me too.

Tom Cleverly just gave away a penalty against me then punched the ref and has been banned for 180 days :lol:

Is this true? Pics?

There isn't a ref on the pitch surely.

Anyone keep having players miss penners? Maguire is meant to be a good taker but he's missed the last 3 he's took Power and Grigg have missed for me too.

They occasionally do miss. Power is normally very reliable - I'd just switch him to the taker and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Maguire has been incredibly reliable. Nowhere near the first team now so doesn’t take them (Rakitic takes all my set pieces) but I never had a problem with him.

Made a really good start in my 3rd prem season. I’m in the top 4 and just pumped Chelsea 4-1. The mags are up next after coming back up to the prem for the first time since they were relegated in the first season on this save. Beat them both matches in that Champ season so hopefully can keep the record up. They’re in the bottom half but not pushovers by the looks of things.

Last edited:
Young Elliot embleton is doing class in midfield for me, he's my top scorer too on 7 goals, ahead of maja who has 5. Signed kirchoff, caulker and Karl Henry on frees. Got leadbitter and leko on season loans. Max power doesnt get a look in at the minute. Im top after 9 games. Long way to go yet.

Back