Football Manager 2018

Right, any tips for starting with the lads? £2m budget, no room for movement on wages. Started a game earlier as a tester and flogged Kone for £10.5m to West Ham which led to catts kicking off and shite morale, so not the best start :lol: starting again now as reading this thread has gave me slightly more of an idea.

Who can you realistically shift from the squad? Looking at getting McTominay in on loan for a start. Any tips on how the squad fares? Is it worth keeping Rodwell and Kone around and using them or is Rodwell as shite on this as he is in real life? Any tips apprecaited!

Update: In: McTominay, Le tallec. Out: Jones (£1.8m rising to £2.6m). Went through pre-season unbeaten with McTominay and McGeady being stand out performers. Rounded it off with a 4-0 away win.

First game of the season was Derby at home, a pretty dull 1-0 home win for the lads with Jonny Williams grabbing the only goal. Second home win in a week arrives as we see off Mansfield in another fairly dull 1-0 win. Solid enough start so far. Squad is fairly big with Asoro and Maja in the senior squad. Attempting to shift the likes of Rodwell, Wilson, etc isn't an easy task. O'Shea and Catts have a massive influence on the dressing room so trying my level best to not piss them off as morale is good at the moment.

Last edited:
3rd promotion in a row achieved by last day of the season drama. We were in 2nd place 2pts behind Frankfurt and level on points with Hannover. Pretty knew we needed a win in the last game away to Frankfurt as 3rd place (and level on points with us) Hannover were away to relegated Duisburg.
We went 2-0 down after 15mins and with Duisburg winning it looked a certain we’d miss out on automatic promotion. Even though we went in only 2-1 down at the break I still didn’t think the impossible was possible how wrong was I

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Been given £2m and £100k to avoid relegation brought in Rossiter from Rangers on a free and some 18yr old Georgian regen PSG & Everton were sniffing about also on a free

Survived my first season in the Championship with Hartlepool. Needed to ei draw and hope that Portsmouth didn’t beat Ipswich. Ipswich equalised in the 92nd min to keep me up. Been given another massive budget of 100k. Managed to bring in McBurnie,Honeyman,Danny Wilson, Eric Lichaj and a couple of others. Will more than likely be scrapping for relegation again

Absolutely flying on our return to the bundesliga 17 games in 30pts bagged already :cool: David Henen still doing well 9 in 16 :eek::cool:

Survived my first season in the Championship with Hartlepool. Needed to ei draw and hope that Portsmouth didn’t beat Ipswich. Ipswich equalised in the 92nd min to keep me up. Been given another massive budget of 100k. Managed to bring in McBurnie,Honeyman,Danny Wilson, Eric Lichaj and a couple of others. Will more than likely be scrapping for relegation again

I'm in my 7th season with Spenny and am sadly starting to lose interest. It's our second championship season and our club reputation is still lower than many L2 clubs - so signing anyone of sufficient quality is extremely difficult. The majority of the squad are L2 standard and L1 max (bar our keeper who is low championship standard and a few good loan prospects).

We've finally upgraded our youth and training facilities to basic, and Brewery Field has reached it's max capacity of 7000ish. We just don't have the resources or reputation to kick on and due to players seeing l2 as a better prospect no-one to sell to raise significant funds. I really wanted to take them to the top but think we've hit our ceiling.

I'm in my 7th season with Spenny and am sadly starting to lose interest. It's our second championship season and our club reputation is still lower than many L2 clubs - so signing anyone of sufficient quality is extremely difficult. The majority of the squad are L2 standard and L1 max (bar our keeper who is low championship standard and a few good loan prospects).

We've finally upgraded our youth and training facilities to basic, and Brewery Field has reached it's max capacity of 7000ish. We just don't have the resources or reputation to kick on and due to players seeing l2 as a better prospect no-one to sell to raise significant funds. I really wanted to take them to the top but think we've hit our ceiling.

I feel like that. I can’t take them any further but i’ll still stick it out as I’m also the England manager somehow

Finished 7th on our return to the Bundesliga 22 league goals for Henen :eek: I’ve sold him on to St Pauli now got a couple of cracking regens signed one who all the big boys wanted

Got £12.5m to spend and £200k for wages tried to sign Rashford on a free but most I could offer him was £58k a week he wanted £100k

Anyone get the April Fool yesterday? It was also April 1st on my game, 2029.

I’m getting Boston up through the leagues and at the start of this season I got told they are planning to build a new stadium but will be seeking investment and will be a drawn out process. Hadn’t heard anything then get an email to say that the board have raised and will be injecting 500M to build a new stadium and invest in new players and all I had to do was click accept on the email.

Currently in league 1 in the playoffs and getting towards the end of the season (I gained promotion and am now in championship) and couldn’t believe my luck.

I clicked accept and a box popped up saying

‘APRIL FOOLS

You didn’t think we’d make it that easy for you did you?!’

Found it hilarious tbh as they truly got me with it! Got a mate doing same type of save with Blyth, he was getting live texts as it unfolded and also found it hilarious at my expense.

Anyone get the April Fool yesterday? It was also April 1st on my game, 2029.

I’m getting Boston up through the leagues and at the start of this season I got told they are planning to build a new stadium but will be seeking investment and will be a drawn out process. Hadn’t heard anything then get an email to say that the board have raised and will be injecting 500M to build a new stadium and invest in new players and all I had to do was click accept on the email.

Currently in league 1 in the playoffs and getting towards the end of the season (I gained promotion and am now in championship) and couldn’t believe my luck.

I clicked accept and a box popped up saying

‘APRIL FOOLS

You didn’t think we’d make it that easy for you did you?!’

Found it hilarious tbh as they truly got me with it! Got a mate doing same type of save with Blyth, he was getting live texts as it unfolded and also found it hilarious at my expense.

Aye it got me a few year back.

If you hit April 1st on the game on April 1st they throw that at you

Looking to start a new save.
Any ideas?
Thinking of trying MLS but it’s confusing as fook.
End Dinamo Zagreb dominance in Croatia with Hajduk Split. I have a cracking save on FM17 I still play every now and then get some really good regens coming through

Still playing FM15, thought I’d have a go with Peterhead in the Scottish League 1. Board expected mid table.

I started out trying to be a little too fancy I think playing a 4-1-2-3 and direct style of passing etc... we were bottom of the league after about 10 games. Went to a 4-4-2 route one, pump ball into the box and we ended up in the play offs before losing to Falkirk in the semi final.

This is going to be a hard save.

My current game of FM 2016, my SAFC team just pipped Man U to the 2019-20 title after a hard flog of a season.

The next season starts, and a couple of matches in I decided to have a look at the table. "Man U are bottom. WTF?"

Took a look at their team and it turns out their top scorer Morata and their goalkeeper De Gea were both called up to the Spanish olympic squad so they were both unavailable for those first two Premier League matches.

Glanced up to see who they've got in goal while De Gea is away...

Christiano Ronaldo :lol:

Looked at their fixtures/results page and it turns out they've had him in goal for their first two matches where they got humped by Arsenal and Chelsea. :lol:

José Mourinho is off his chops!

Last edited:
Just seen the lads have been relegated to League One 2022/23 on my 1860 save currently 17th with pretty much a set of 17-22yr old shit regens as the first team squad :eek:

Just finished first season on new save with Londrina in Brazilian Serie B. It's a bloody long season though, state championships followed by a 38 game league season.

Managed to finish 4th and gain promotion, signing ex Man Utd midfielder Anderson. Really enjoying this one, but another potential 60+ game season to come!

Hungover to hell here. First time Playing for ages. Played lying on sofa watching BT’s version of stellings show most of afternoon. Anyway mobile version on iPad as safc.
2017/18 promoted as runners up. Lost to Man U in FACup Final.
2018/19 relegated as bottom club. Lost to Chelsea in LC Cup Final on penalties.

I thought I’d be sacked and was looking forward to a new start somewhere......but they’ve kept me on ffs. I’ve still got no idea wtf I’m doing....

Deeney, Lucas, Klavan, Ndong, Ndiaye, Stidl, Cattermole, Ruiter, Kone, Akpo, the current irl rb from Celtic, Garbutt, Kyle-peters, etc.
Asoro refused to negotiate and now he’s unemployed, the yank midfielders just gone to hearts for 850k, half a dozen have been sold to Sheffield Utd.....redknapps there.

Just beaten Blackburn 3-0 first game

Back