Football grounds you've been to...

I did a marketing presentation in a meeting room at Old Trafford one night to a group of about 25 potential clients. At the end the organisers were just going to let everyone leave but I asked if we could go out and see the pitch. Empty under the floodlights with the ground staff preparing for a match the following day it looked magnificent. Won us a couple of contracts.

Watching other sports:

Rugby union: Vicarage Road; Blackwell Park (Darlo's current home); Kingston Park (was home ground for Newcastle Blue Star before they went bust)
Rugby league: The Valley; Griffin Park. Could argue Odsal, which hosted some Bradford City games after the fire, but pretty much everyone would have it as a rugby league ground)
Cricket: Kingsway, Bishop Auckland; Southchurch Park, Southend (another technicality - Southend Manor FC plays in Southchurch Park, but I don't recall any overlap between the two grounds)
Rugby 7s: Luzhniki, Moscow (OK, one of the out grounds in the complex, but I also saw Torpedo Moscow play some games there)
Swimming, synchronized swimming: Arena Kazan. They built the pool on the playing surface, extended some of the stands inwards and it worked better than you might expect
Bandy (11-a-side hockey, played on ice): Zorki Krasnogorsk, Russia. There's an amateur football team that uses the same ground, but I'm pretty sure the bandy team is the senior partner.
Hockey: National Hockey Arena, MK. Saw an Olympic qualification tournament here, then returned to see SAFC beat the exiled Wombles 2-1 a couple of days after the FAC SF loss to Millwall.
If going to a beamback of a football match counts, then Ibrox (went to see an Aberdeen vs Rangers game there with a couple of Rangers buddies when I lived in Glasgow. Never made it back for a proper game).

Playing football:

Griffin Park
Mannion Park, a complex in Boro that was briefly home to South Bank after they had to leave Normanby Road.

Work related:

Upton Park: club AGM, various press conferences
Firhill: interviewing club chairman
I've also been to press conferences at the AOL, plus WHU's and Boro's training grounds. Not sure we're counting training grounds as footie grounds, though.
Fisht Arena, Sochi: Winter Olympic opening and closing ceremonies in 2014. At the time, it hadn't hosted any football, but went on to stage World Cup games and was (is?) the home ground for Sochi's team.

Travel:

Stamford Bridge - hotel stay
Kirov Stadium, St. Petersburg - went to the bowling alley underneath one of the stands, then ended up on the terraces having a snowball fight. Stadium is long gone now.
Hampden Park - SFA Museum

Drinking:

Plenty non-league clubhouses after rocking up and discovering the game was off (not so commonplace now, since it's easier to find out in advance online). I think Tiverton Town is the only one I've turned up purely for a beer.

Exeter, couple of years back as I was down that way and hadn't seen us there for about 30 years. Had a look round and member of staff let me go on the pitch. I should have just waited until this season šŸ˜¦

Bolton, Chelsea and Reading stayed in the hotel for work.

Villa for a conference.

Shrewsbury & Walsall used their conference rooms for work.

Eland Road and the Etihad for gigs.

Sunderland - Brothers wedding, various functions/events
Boro - Played on the pitch against the academy when a kid
Newcastle - Stadium tour with school & to watch England Rugby Games
Wembley - Stadium Tour and Concerts
Nou Camp - Stadium Tour

Been to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for 6 NFL games, but never seen a football game there.

SOL, Wembley and Ashton Gate for concerts.

SOL, Old Trafford, Celtic Park tours.

Baseball at London Stadium.

A charity evening at Stamford Bridge.

Finished a half marathon in the Madjeski Stadium

Only Anfield I can think of.
Just remembered I've been to Kilmarnock's ground. We were passing by and they had a new strip promotion day going on. So we went in but didn't buy a strip.

Last edited:
The landfill for a meeting, didnā€™t like it
Darlington Stadium volunteering for people getting Covid jabs
Wembley for U2
SoL for Elton John
Sol to fix the seats šŸ˜³
Wembley for NFL (years ago)

Back