RAWA Foodbanks Donations

To add to my above comment, it is also now showing why, those of us who joined RAWA on day one, have shown, that we can question the club, but also be a force for good in the community also, which can also bring together club and supporter, in a respectful way. this relationship has to be a two way street, from now on, this is the clubs future.
I'm not a yes man usually, but yes, I agree - again, ha ha. Onward, upward, together.

I'm not a yes man usually, but yes, I agree - again, ha ha. Onward, upward, together.

in fact i would go as far as to suggest to those who are yet to join RAWA and have wondered just what difference it can make, today has shown what it can do, so if you want to be part of it please do all Sunderland supporters are welcome

Red And White Army | The Independent Voice for All Sunderland Supporters

Onwards and upwards Together.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited by a moderator:
Emailed weeks ago after sol meeting heard zero back

I am waiting for one or two things from them also, however Ghandi floss tells me, what i am waiting for won't be long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure I agree with the ethos of foodbanks!
We have a benefits system which provides for those unfortunate enough to be out if work, sick etc...
Whilst it is damned hard to manage on the small amount given millions manage to struggle through every week.
A healthy meal for 4 can be produced at a fraction of the cost to say 30 years ago when times were much harder, thanks to the advent of the likes of aldi and lidl ( other supermarkets are available). Maybe time would be better spent educating families about how they can best use their resources instead of creating an over dependency on hand outs?
I think the volunteers and charities should be given huge credit for their endeavours but I fear food banks could be creating longer term problems for families whilst providing shorter term solutions.

One of the problems poorer families face is the cost of utilities. It’s all very well saying grow vegetables in your garden, prepare them with a cheap cut of meat for a healthy nourishing stew and cook in oven for several hours on low heat. That would probably exhaust their gas/electric pre payment card for the day. A single relative of mine who works can not afford to have heating or hot water at the end of the month. Nor could he afford his prescription items or a visit to the dentist. That’s the reality nowadays.

One of the problems poorer families face is the cost of utilities. It’s all very well saying grow vegetables in your garden, prepare them with a cheap cut of meat for a healthy nourishing stew and cook in oven for several hours on low heat. That would probably exhaust their gas/electric pre payment card for the day. A single relative of mine who works can not afford to have heating or hot water at the end of the month. Nor could he afford his prescription items or a visit to the dentist. That’s the reality nowadays.
There are countless ways of producing meals without growing your own vegetables or cooking it for hours.
Fuel poverty isn't a new thing, I remember having half a dozen blankets on my bed and wearing layers of clothes just so the heating wasn't used. Sharing hot water between four of us for a weekly bath. Problem is that some people seem incapable of surviving if the temperature in their house drops below 25c and have their heating cranked up!

Yes sitting in my comfortable home with a well stocked fridge and a healthy income I could equally well pontificate about the feckless poor and the good old days of sharing bath water. However it is 2018 we are a first world country. It is horrible to think that in this day and age working people cannot afford dental treatment , prescription items and to be able to have hot water.

Yes sitting in my comfortable home with a well stocked fridge and a healthy income I could equally well pontificate about the feckless poor and the good old days of sharing bath water. However it is 2018 we are a first world country. It is horrible to think that in this day and age working people cannot afford dental treatment , prescription items and to be able to have hot water.

Problem is people need to question more. Is it actually doing more harm than good. It was exactly the same as aid to Africa, for years money was rightly raised to help the starving and vast amounts of food were sent with no fore sight as to the long term impact of treating the syptom and not the cause. Nowadays money is used to help people drill for water so they can cultivate land, grow crops and keep cattle.
My point is that it's not just about hand outs but treating the cause and providing the tools to get out of poverty.
I have worked with many families who are below the poverty line and the vast majority are proud, decent people who make ends meet. Unfortunately I think a lot of people underestimate the numbers who are prepared to take these handouts when they have no 'real' need. Building up reliance on food banks is not the answer. Would be better to donate money to employ people to educate and guide these families to a more prosperous future.
In no way "pontificating" just offering an alternative point of view.

Slow cookers are canny cheap to run iirc.

I'm not saying there aren't other obstacles, but cost of fuel to cook won't be one of them.

Last edited:
Anyone else see that young dodge pot on the bridge going towards the wheatsheaf in cuffs next to his 'official' collection bucket which simply said 'local charities' :lol:

Real Stories | Sunderland Foodbank

Reading some of the story's on the foodbanks own website, got to say its been eye opening, so yesterdays collection organised with RAWA will hopefully reach who it needs to.

"As a result of his serious heart condition Richard needs 35 tablets a day, but the cost of travelling to collect his prescriptions left him without enough money for food"

You'd think citizens advice would have told him you can get prescriptions delivered free of charge rather than sending him to a good bank.

Maybe it's just a badly written article but if that was the rainre he needed the food bank then I'd prefer people to be given better advice?

"As a result of his serious heart condition Richard needs 35 tablets a day, but the cost of travelling to collect his prescriptions left him without enough money for food"

You'd think citizens advice would have told him you can get prescriptions delivered free of charge rather than sending him to a good bank.

Maybe it's just a badly written article but if that was the rainre he needed the food bank then I'd prefer people to be given better advice?

I am not sure here, but with the cost of living rising in this country, maybe he needed like you say to get the prescriptions delivered, but also maybe needed to use the foodbank ?

Aye. Could be mate. Probably just a badly written article.

The point of the overall link was, to show the the collections that happened at the weekend, for me hopefully get to people who have story's that are maybe worse, or similar to maybe the young lass who was a single mother named holly who fell on hard times, it shouldn't be the case in this country that we need them, but given the times we live in, they seem necessary, that's without getting into politics etc

Back