RAWA Foodbanks Donations

Chairman of RAWA Andrew Hird thinks Saturday’s success will lead to more collections “I know from speaking to Kate that this will just be the start. We’re already talking about showing some of the Sunderland players and supporters how the whole foodbank operation works in order to raise awareness, and we’ll be sitting down with the foodbanks with a view to arranging another collection soon’.

Red and White News | Red And White Army

From the website.

If you’ve got nothing nice to say keep your f***ing mouth shut pal

I’m not mate, he’s showing his true colours on the thread now.

Now now, do you not want debate and discussion? You need to learn to listen to other peoples opinions without replying like a Neanderthal! I can appreciate other points of views without resorting to playground tactics. Peace & love man ✌

Now now, do you not want debate and discussion? You need to learn to listen to other peoples opinions without replying like a Neanderthal! I can appreciate other points of views without resorting to playground tactics. Peace & love man ✌
Not if the person is advocating taking food out of the mouths of the hungry.

People shouldn’t be going hungry in 21st century Britain, the government are a disgrace.

I've watched this thread with interest. First of all let me sat well done RAWA.

Whilst i understand that people will have different opinions regarding welfare i'd ask all those who are saying that handouts are part of the problem to think about a couple of things.

1. A friend of mine had a relatively well paying job. Through circumstance which i won't go into his life fell apart through no fault of his own. It resulted in him losing first his job, then his home, then his will to live.
2. Not everyone has the benefit of a loving family and an education. Some people get a job and stay there until they either retire of the business shuts down. A lot of people find it hard to start all over again once past the age of 40 and sadly, the older you get the harder it becomes.

Sure, some people are lazy bastards who take advantage of handouts but i'm fairly certain that they are the minority. Spare a thought for those who actually don't know how to help themselves and imagine how you would feel/react if they were your own parent, children or friends. There's no miracle answer and no two cases are ever the same.

So for those of you who feel the need to get on your high horse, i hope the karma bus never slams you from behind.

The Red and White Army Launch Partnership with Local Foodbanks

Sunderland AFC’s independent supporters’ group Red and White Army (RAWA) have partnered with Foodbanks in the city to help raise awareness of the project and encourage donations.

The partnership kicks off on Saturday 8th September at the Stadium of Light’s Fan Zone before the home fixture against Fleetwood Town. RAWA would like Sunderland supporters to provide vital help to our local Foodbanks by donating food that will be distributed to those in need.

RAWA chairman Andrew Hird said “It’s very sad that in this day and age that there is a real demand for this. The volunteers and small staff team of the local foodbank network do an amazing job on a shoe string. RAWA members voted unanimously at our recent AGM to provide a helping hand and we are very happy to do so. We’re sure Sunderland supporters will get behind this and we are very grateful to the club for providing space in the Fan Zone where fans can leave their donations – whether it’s cash or food”.

Foodbank co-ordinator Kate Townsend believes the generosity and community spirit of Sunderland fans will provide a huge boost their work. “Working together with the Red and White Army and having a collection at the Stadium of Light will be amazing for our foodbanks. Football brings communities together and foodbanks are helping the community in and around Sunderland. We see people struggling to make ends meet due to low income or benefit changes and collections of this nature are so important in supporting the community.”

The Fans Supporting Foodbanks donation point will open at 12pm in the Fanzone. Donations of non-perishable food items and cash are welcome. The foodbank is asking especially for tinned fish, tinned fruit, coffee, custard, rice pudding and tinned potatoes.

Fans can also drop off food donations at the Beacon of Light in the week running up to the Fleetwood Town match (from Monday 3rd September). Donations can be made at the new home of the Foundation of Light, adjacent to the Sunderland Aquatic Centre, from Monday to Friday 9am-10pm.

Sunderland AFC’s Supporter Liaison Officer Chris Waters said “As a football club that sits at the heart of the City’s community we are delighted to support the Red and White Army and Sunderland Foodbank with this new partnership. We encourage as many supporters to get behind this campaign and provide what they can to offer support.”

Feel free to donate any day this week.

Can the Mods please hoy one of those pin things on?

Are you collecting before the next match as well? I have a big bag of food i got ready to drop in but bloody forgot it. Can either bring to the next match or if there is somewhere i can drop it in the meantime pls let me know.

Morrison's took a few quid this morning ready for the next donations... Fruit and fish as requested.:D Cant afford the coffee though, ave yer seen the price?

Cant afford the coffee though, ave yer seen the price?

Poundland had Maxwell House jars for £1 (surprisingly!)

I think the Morrisons savers coffee in a white pouch was just under a pound.

Granted it's probably not the best coffee mind!

Whilst i understand that people will have different opinions regarding welfare i'd ask all those who are saying that handouts are part of the problem to think about a couple of things.

1. A friend of mine had a relatively well paying job. Through circumstance which i won't go into his life fell apart through no fault of his own. It resulted in him losing first his job, then his home, then his will to live.
2. Not everyone has the benefit of a loving family and an education. Some people get a job and stay there until they either retire of the business shuts down. A lot of people find it hard to start all over again once past the age of 40 and sadly, the older you get the harder it becomes.

Sure, some people are lazy bastards who take advantage of handouts but i'm fairly certain that they are the minority. Spare a thought for those who actually don't know how to help themselves and imagine how you would feel/react if they were your own parent, children or friends. There's no miracle answer and no two cases are ever the same.

So for those of you who feel the need to get on your high horse, i hope the karma bus never slams you from behind.
Spot on imo. The welfare system in this country fails the people it was set up to help.

It's if very limited use to the average working man/woman who falls on hard times. RAWA have done a great job here.

Well said, Ozzy, la.

Update from Saturday.
Over a tonne of food collected and nearly £2000.
Excellent. Thanks for the update, Ghandi.

What is creating the need is the transferring from the old to new benefit, new applications and the wait of a month before some people get any money and the sanctions and suspension of benefit for multiply reasons.There is also a lot of homeless not on the street but living with friends, family and temporary accommodation. You can also add released prisoner a lot with addiction problems and people with metal health problems who find it hard to access the system.

Waiting a month just doesn’t happen in reality for the majority of people, as everybody is entitled to a advance straightaway, the problem is people taking to much of a advance and than having to pay it back monthly out of the little they get then falling into debt.

Back