Food photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonz

Striker
Been trying to branch out to more sleep-pattern friendly shoots. That and I'm getting a bit bored with events now and feel like I've taken myself as far as I can go with it so happy to keep it ticking along for a little extra cash. I recently did a shoot for the pub that my lass works at for their new food menu. It's my first attempt at anything like so I'm very interested in some C&C.

There are a lot of things I'd have changed. Firstly the table is dirty and I can't believe I didn't notice it at the time. Secondly I'd try not to shoot so wide open. I've always been used to shooting at f2.8 or lower but never this close and didn't quite appreciate just how shallow the DOF is when you're on f2 and the subject is right in front of you.

I can't say I'm displeased with the results though. I didn't charge for this shoot so it'll be interesting to see whether they get used or not.

Full set: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9ndiUemFbgBbDM1eWRSYUwyaTA?usp=sharing

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

EDIT: Just seen these aren't loading now so I'll find somewhere to upload them to.

Last edited:

those are lovely, is it your job, or just a hobby

are you located in N/East?
Bit of both, really. It's a hobby that pays as a nice little earner on the side. Living in Chester le Sreet at the moment, yes.

Nice stuff.. I sometimes do a bit of food photography for a mates food blog. all that shallow hocus pocus focus is all the rage!

Honest opinion?
The food looks good, but there's too much background. You'd have been better off getting yourself a little light tent and shooting the food in there. Also allows you to control the lighting.

Otherwise, I love the focussing and the colours.

Honest opinion?
The food looks good, but there's too much background. You'd have been better off getting yourself a little light tent and shooting the food in there. Also allows you to control the lighting.

Otherwise, I love the focussing and the colours.
Yeah I agree. They were very keen to try and get a bit more of the pub in the background, so I'm definitely stuck in the middle ground that's not interesting enough or clean enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back