Food combinations you used to have when you were young

Son of Stan

Striker
Just been chatting to a friend about this - started out remembering rhubarb dipped in sugar. I also used to have cucumber and onions in vinegar - must have been malt vinegar too as we wouldn't have had anything fancy.

We also used to have something Dad referred to as 'mock crab' probably to do with the colour as it was tomatoes with the skin off smashed in a pan with butter and egg added, and stirred like scrambled eggs. Usually eaten hot with bread. I don't know anyone else who ever had this.

Just been chatting to a friend about this - started out remembering rhubarb dipped in sugar. I also used to have cucumber and onions in vinegar - must have been malt vinegar too as we wouldn't have had anything fancy.

We also used to have something Dad referred to as 'mock crab' probably to do with the colour as it was tomatoes with the skin off smashed in a pan with butter and egg added, and stirred like scrambled eggs. Usually eaten hot with bread. I don't know anyone else who ever had this.
Had that regularly with rhubarb from the garden - lush.
Bread and dripping too (not from the garden though).

Last edited:
Pie Sandwich. Pie from Simpson’s the baker. Bread by sunblest.

Tomatoes dipped in English mustard (or Mustard, as we used to call it) and then dipped in sugar.

Back