Folliculitis

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 14766

Being a mature balding bloke (balding since I was in my 20s tbh) my ‘regime’ to avoid looking like a total sack of scruffy shit, was to have a “#1” monthly haircut and then, especially during and post lockdown, I started to shave my head with an electric razor and/or a safety razor.

But.

I started getting a rash.

It became more regular. Until it eventually spread to make my head resemble a relief map of the surface of Mars.

I upped my hygiene and cleaning regime significantly but it made no difference.

As an additional aside, a pharmacist gave me incorrect advice which might have made it worse.

It was diagnosed as Folliculitis.

So I’ve had a months-worth of Antibiotics to deal with the worst of it, now 3 months (!) of another antibiotic to deal with the inflammation. And I’m leaving my bonce alone regarding haircut.

Reading up on it is quite alarming. There are a number of causes, it can be a temporary flare up or it can be chronic and it can occur anywhere on the body where they’re hair follicles. There are some horrible photos.

Mine‘s clearing. The skin has gone fro quite tender and sensitive to itchy and irritating. It looks pretty awful. Or did. I’m washing, soaping, moisturising, TCPing, and antibioticing like a bugger. I’ve ordered some recommended lotions to prevent recurrence once it’s gone.

Thought I’d share. Because maybe there are some people who shave their bonces and get an occasional rash that might benefit from preventative maintenance to avoid a flare up.

Back