Folk that think they're clever by using Latin in their dialogue...

... but get it wrong.

These scratters boil my piss.

Couple on today's A Place In The Sun. The woman (100% wadnt) kept saying how certain properties "ticked boxes ek-cetera" instead of "etcetera". She probably writes "ect" instead of "etc", as well.

General rule: Especially if you're on TV, don't try and look clever by using words that either aren't in your vocabulary or words that you don't know about.

There may be other examples of this practice, but I'm too upset about this assault on common sense & decency.
Oh dear. Hoist by your own petard :lol:

I can still remember my school motto but I'm not 100% sure on the translation.

Parvis Imbutus Tentarbis Grandia Tutus.

It's something like "If you achieve small things you will achieve big things greatly" which is a load of bollocks as Barney offered scholarships to anyone who looked half decent at rugby while taking the money from parents with dense kids.
Once you have achieved small things, you can go on to achieve great things

(Was it Barnard Castle school by any chance?)

youngest daughter has selected it as one of her GCSE options....

she is good at it. Cant pass the vocab tests unless you get 100% and she passes one a week at least.

On a related note, I was watching Beyond Stranger Things tonight (the companion panel show to Stranger Things). The actors and show creators on the panel kept saying "oh yeah, we did that from the gecko" as oppose to "from the get-go". The first one I thought might have been a slip of the tongue but I swear it happened 5 or 6 times from the mouths of different people.
Were they not just talking about Dart?

Bonet de douche Rodney.

Got into a bit of trouble once by changing the latin on my place of work's crest to 'We've always done it this way' - Non enim semper est illud hoc modo

Back