FM2010 - Beginners Tips

Discussion in 'Games and games consoles' started by DoctorMick, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoctorMick

DoctorMick Striker

I know there are loads of FM threads on the go but I can't be bothered to trawl through them all.

I started my first game of FM for years the other day (started with Sunderland) and I've remembered the basics but are there any key things I should be doing at the start of the game?

What should I be looking for in staff?
    Should I mess around with the training?
    Where should I send my scouts?
    Should I tweak tactics?
    How do I find regens?
    Are there any players I should try to sign?

2. murrayout

murrayout Striker

Assistant manager needs to have good adaptability, determination and motivation. Ed De Geoy is a good one.

3. slightlyaskew

slightlyaskew Midfield

Use Tug's Training (ggogle it)

4. DoctorMick

DoctorMick Striker

Having conceded 13 goals in my first three games it seems I've even forgot the basics!

5. fyl2u

fyl2u Striker

...and Man Management, and judging player potential/ability, and discipline, and tactical knowledge.

No, don't.

Use your own.

What should I be looking for in staff?

Different things for different types of coach... use this before you sign a coach to find out their star rating in the coaching type that you're looking for...

FM Coach Calculator

Should I mess around with the training?

Yes. Tailor the training to the player's needs. You can generally get away with one schedule for full-backs, one for central defenders, one or two for central midfielders, one for wingers, one for strikers, though I like to make an individual schedule for every individual player.

Where should I send my scouts?

Everywhere. Mainly Europe and South America though, as you might expect.

Should I tweak tactics?

Yes. Constantly. Though I'd try to avoid changing between too many actual formations as your players might take time to get used to a new one.

Saying that, there's a lot of different approaches. Some people prefer to pick a single formation and set of players instructions and never change them at all.

I tend to have 2 starting formations... "easy match" and "difficult match", made to fit the best players in my squad, and then if need be I'll change during the match either going defensive to protect a 1-goal lead if it's nearing full time in a match where the other team's getting too many chances, or to try to grab a winner or equaliser I might change to a more attacking formation near the end.

Player Instructions, I set to fit the players in the team in that match, so if a first-choice player gets injured, I change the player instructions to fit the replacement player, etc. Same with substitutions... different player, different strengths, different player instructions.

How do I find regens?

Scouting. :)

Here's my article on scouting for free players... can be adapted to fit more expensive ones too...

footballmanagertraining.com : Scouting For Freebies

Are there any players I should try to sign?

Find 'em yourself! That's half the fun! And half the reward! Where's the fulfilment in signing someone else's suggested players? Might as well watch a video of someone else playing the game!

6. safcforever

safcforever Striker

Type in the search bar. facesinthegame. All the staff have put themselves in the game and they turn out to be cracking players for a championship side or lower prem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.