FM 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be tempted to cash in then and go for a younger replacement in January. Van Ginkel is currently listed for sale and would probably cost less overall.
They've knocked the percentage down to 50% due to the debt so hopefully I can ask to increase it as we get nearer the window.

I signed Van Ginkel and Connor Hurhaine, Also got Lassogga upfront in my 2nd season. Just started my 3rd season, 3 games and only 1 point. Got the mags next game.
Only have Pickford and Borini who are still first teamers. O'Shea is now a coach, Defoe and Mcnair make the bench. Love is rotting in the reserves. Think Rodders is in there too, cant give him away!

I signed Van Ginkel and Connor Hurhaine, Also got Lassogga upfront in my 2nd season. Just started my 3rd season, 3 games and only 1 point. Got the mags next game.
Only have Pickford and Borini who are still first teamers. O'Shea is now a coach, Defoe and Mcnair make the bench. Love is rotting in the reserves. Think Rodders is in there too, cant give him away!
How has Hourihane done? I have my eye on him, especially as he adds to the homegrown quota, but I'm not sure if it will be a waste of funds when I can target better players later on.
Guess it depends on whether I can shift Cattermole or not and how much it will cost to get him in January.

First season with Sunderland I would definitely recommend signing Oscar Hiljemark from Palermo. A really solid set of stats for a centre midfielder, and can be picked up for around his value which is around £5m.

I also sold Kirchhoff and Catts for a combined fee of £17m, but like everyone else can't give away the likes of Watmore, Rodwell, Mannone etc.

How has Hourihane done? I have my eye on him, especially as he adds to the homegrown quota, but I'm not sure if it will be a waste of funds when I can target better players later on.
Guess it depends on whether I can shift Cattermole or not and how much it will cost to get him in January.

He's done really well for me, he's now my captain after oshea became coach and I sold catermole to celta vigo. I've turned down a few offers for double what I paid for him too.
No matter what formation I seem to play I find it almost impossible to keep a clean sheet

Deep lying forwards seem to work quite well this year, maybe even a false 9 if you want them more involved in the game without shooting every five seconds.

Decided to have a break from Spakenburg and try a save with the lerds, first season ffs...Last game of the season we were two points behind City & United. City drew 3-3 at Leicester having been 2-0 and then 3-1 up, and United lost at home to Stoke thanks to two Glen Johnson penalties :lol:

Logon or register to see this image

First thing I would do if I was you now is go and see if I can raid any good players from the relegated teams. Lukaku and Sigurdsson must be unsettled.

First season with Sunderland I would definitely recommend signing Oscar Hiljemark from Palermo. A really solid set of stats for a centre midfielder, and can be picked up for around his value which is around £5m.

I also sold Kirchhoff and Catts for a combined fee of £17m, but like everyone else can't give away the likes of Watmore, Rodwell, Mannone etc.
Kirchhoff has been brilliant so far so I activated his plus one year contract. Can't get an offer for Cattermole but then I'm not at the window yet (although I sold Jones in late September ready for January). I'll take a look at Hiljemark - cheers!

Currently sat in 4th after about 15 games (can't quite remember the exact number) but I'm not confident of maintaining that. No matter what I try we always feel really open and like we're under siege most of the time. Can barely keep a clean sheet.

He's done really well for me, he's now my captain after oshea became coach and I sold catermole to celta vigo. I've turned down a few offers for double what I paid for him too.
No matter what formation I seem to play I find it almost impossible to keep a clean sheet
Sounds canny. Hopefully Barnsley only want around £1M in January with his contract running down then.

Last edited:
Kirchhoff has been brilliant so far so I activated his plus one year contract. Can't get an offer for Cattermole but then I'm not at the window yet (although I sold Jones in late September ready for January). I'll take a look at Hiljemark - cheers!

Currently sat in 4th after about 15 games (can't quite remember the exact number) but I'm not confident of maintaining that. No matter what I try we always feel really open and like we're under siege most of the time. Can barely keep a clean sheet.

Sounds canny. Hopefully Barnsley only want around £1M in January with his contract running down then.
He is quality helped me finish third with everton

First thing I would do if I was you now is go and see if I can raid any good players from the relegated teams. Lukaku and Sigurdsson must be unsettled.
Never even thought about that!

Transfer budget was still absolutely shite even after winning the title. So all we've managed to sign in the summer are two on free transfers, two for £3m & £3.5m and another two for £10m & £17m (although most of those are spread over 48 months as the budget was only something like £20m).

Never even thought about that!

Transfer budget was still absolutely shite even after winning the title. So all we've managed to sign in the summer are two on free transfers, two for £3m & £3.5m and another two for £10m & £17m (although most of those are spread over 48 months as the budget was only something like £20m).
That's encouraging to know...Guess it's realistic though.
Short has offered me a new deal after just a few months but won't budge on increasing the budget. Arsehole.

Finished 15th first season with the lads, 14th the second and Short sacked me during pre season because i spoke about wanting more transfer funds. The f***ing prick.
Took blackpool job in L2. Half way through season and 7th. George Honeyman has been a star on my right wing :cool:

I'm not sure if this is the same for everybody but if you have a player kicking off over a new contract i'm finding that its always the agent pushing it, if you click 'ask the player to sack agent' every single one has done it and it means you don't have to splash out on a new deal.

I'm not sure if this is the same for everybody but if you have a player kicking off over a new contract i'm finding that its always the agent pushing it, if you click 'ask the player to sack agent' every single one has done it and it means you don't have to splash out on a new deal.
Aye I've noticed this anarl. Had one player who just sacked his agent of his own accord after I flat out refused a new contract :lol:

started off with shef wed. signed a few youngsters (nobody interesting) - then set up 4231. 13 games in and 2 wins sitting 19 - players have a revolt even though its down to shit goalkeeping and stupid mistakes. decide to change to 4141 and funnily enough the midfield can now pass a ball 5 yards and the defence don't just stand and watch the opposition striker run past them. Got myself up to 7th - 8 points off the play offs

how do I get my keeper to come out? mine just stays constantly on his line and I'm conceding loads by 1 on 1s where the keeper could of got to the ball before the striker. Ive tried sweeper but no different

Last edited:
Every goal I concede seems to be from a bastard cross...every bloody year.

Getting seriously pissed off with people shooting from the wing instead of crossing too. Nothing I do seems to fix it. They take the preset tactics for inside forward for example, "shoot more often", to the extreme, and you obviously can't remove it without changing their role.

Last edited:
got promoted to prem through play offs - hammered Bristol city 4-1 in the final. Brought Pickford for 5.5 mill, Huddlestone for 4.5 mill, Martin Kelly for 2.5 mill and lingard on loan. Did want to buy Cattermole but now manger Brendon Rodgers who relegated us wanted 23mill :lol:
Sitting top of PL after 8 games on 20 points.
playing a procession based 41221. would post pics but don't know how to post screen shots.
tactics and player roles are:
SK
FB (At) CD(St) CD(Co) FB(At)
DM(De)
AP(At) AP(St)
IF(At) W(At)
AF(At)
mentality is control playing normal tempo, playing out from the back and looking for the overlap with tighter marking.
Was only hoping to survive as my squad isn't that good, hoping I drop off as feel like its a bit too unrealistic.

Other news after Moyes got sacked at Christmas he went on get the Southampton job then has replaced Wenger at Arsenal in the summer

got promoted to prem through play offs - hammered Bristol city 4-1 in the final. Brought Pickford for 5.5 mill, Huddlestone for 4.5 mill, Martin Kelly for 2.5 mill and lingard on loan. Did want to buy Cattermole but now manger Brendon Rodgers who relegated us wanted 23mill :lol:
Sitting top of PL after 8 games on 20 points.
playing a procession based 41221. would post pics but don't know how to post screen shots.
tactics and player roles are:
SK
FB (At) CD(St) CD(Co) FB(At)
DM(De)
AP(At) AP(St)
IF(At) W(At)
AF(At)
mentality is control playing normal tempo, playing out from the back and looking for the overlap with tighter marking.
Was only hoping to survive as my squad isn't that good, hoping I drop off as feel like its a bit too unrealistic.

Other news after Moyes got sacked at Christmas he went on get the Southampton job then has replaced Wenger at Arsenal in the summer

UPDATE:
now in March - form did eventually dip but still sitting in 6th - 2 points off Top 4. Hillsbrough is getting expanded to 44000 and the club is in a good financial situation - got 30 mill to spend in Jan but couldn't find anyone worth buying

Last edited:
You sold Watmore for 40k???
Aye, tried to sell him the season before and nee fucker wanted him. That was literally the only bid we'd received (and it was non-negotiable the cheeky bastards) so I thought why not accept. The lad was never going to play again and it helped get rid of his wages.

Walking to a title defence with Athletic Bilbao, we're scoring well over 3 a game and a solid 8 pts clear. As always with this game though a deadline day kick off threatens to derail our momentum.

Pol Lozano kicked off for rejecting a bid from 6th place Chelsea
Mikel Merino kicked off for rejecting a bid from Monaco
Young LB Elias Bueno kicked off for rejecting a bid from Bayern

Its always a stupid bid of 13p upfront with another £3.50 in add ons for your top players which always causes unrest!

In other news Goni is a star, scoring more than a goal a game and averaging over 8.00 this season :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back