FM 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Approaching the end of my 5th season with Annan.. Hadn't realised Scotland only get given 2 Champions League spots so the task I set myself was harder than I expected.

Raided the 2nd tier of Spanish league as there was alot of talent willing to join on decent demands and ended up signing 6 Spanish players and 4 Scottish with a net spend of £490k - Sold £400k worth of players, bought £890k worth - 1 Spanish player on a regen from FC Granada aptly named Rafael Benitez - And it got off to an awful start, losing 2-0 in the first leg to Real Sociedad in Europa League playoffs, there was a chance until my debutant CB decided to hack someone down only after 4 minutes which made me miserable, then losing to newly-promoted Falkirk actually left me thinking do I want to continue with Annan!

Thankfully things have stabled out, currently 4th with 4 games to go before the League Split - There's 2 points seperating 2nd and 4th with myself Hearts and Rangers for the 'Battle for 2nd'
My Rafa has 27 goals in 28 games, my Scouts predicted he'd be a Star Player before he even started developing, I'm just grateful the fact I put a £900k buyout clause on his head after the loan.

I've yet to beat Celtic, even after they went down to 9 men - I thought surely this is the moment but Leigh Griffiths buries one top corner for a 1-0 win and I'm raging. My record vs them is now Played 7 lost 7.
Yet to beat Rangers either, but its always stupidly high scoring draws - I'm now played 7 drew 7 with them :D

My Investor chairman has decided it's time to use the excess funds to upgrade the clubs facilities - Including my puny stadium getting upgraded from 2000 seats to 3200

On an interesting note. Sunderland is now managed by Alan Pardew. :D Sitting comfortably mid table in the Prem surpringly

Finished 2nd on goal difference. I'll be playing a seeded team in the Champions League qualifying playoffs.
Still 18 points behind Celtic. Some way off from winning it.

Lost yet again in the Scottish Cup Final to Rangers. And my Rafa Benitez finished equalling the league record on 35 goals, but he doesn't wanna stay because Granada are willing to offer him 1st team chances, gonna be real hard replacing him.

On my shef wed save, I walked out of the club as my board thought it was great to sell all my star players when a half decent offfer came in during the January transfer window.
However I got 10% of the collected transfer fees to re strengthen...
I jumped ship and got appointed as dusseldorf manager my job is to keep them in the second division of Germany.

3 games in charge and have 6 points I've pulled us out and got us sitting 12th at the min
I've got a Sheff Wed save on the go and the board have been brilliant with me

1st season - Won the championship
2nd season - 12 in the PL
3rd season - 25 games in and sitting 5th still £37m sitting in the transfer kitty

I've got a Sheff Wed save on the go and the board have been brilliant with me

1st season - Won the championship
2nd season - 12 in the PL
3rd season - 25 games in and sitting 5th still £37m sitting in the transfer kitty

I was took over when I was promoted and they have fucked it up, it was a cracking save like

Had a really tough start to the season but I've made a decent one.

Spurs: 0-2
Man City: 0-2
Bournemouth: 3-2
Everton: 1-1 (was winning until Kone got sent off and McNair gave away a late penalty)
Chelsea: 1-1
Man Utd: 4-1

Most of my tough games have been bunched towards the first quarter of the season so if I can stay in a decent position then I should be able to push on. The finances, as expected, are awful so I'll probably have to make do with what I have until the summer unless I can work some magic in January.

Had a really tough start to the season but I've made a decent one.

Spurs: 0-2
Man City: 0-2
Bournemouth: 3-2
Everton: 1-1 (was winning until Kone got sent off and McNair gave away a late penalty)
Chelsea: 1-1
Man Utd: 4-1

Most of my tough games have been bunched towards the first quarter of the season so if I can stay in a decent position then I should be able to push on. The finances, as expected, are awful so I'll probably have to make do with what I have until the summer unless I can work some magic in January.
Cattermole usually wants away soon as he is fit and you can get between £7.5-9m for him in January. Just make sure you ask the board to increase transfer revenue percentage beforehand.

Cattermole usually wants away soon as he is fit and you can get between £7.5-9m for him in January. Just make sure you ask the board to increase transfer revenue percentage beforehand.
I may be tempted to cash in then and go for a younger replacement in January. Van Ginkel is currently listed for sale and would probably cost less overall.
They've knocked the percentage down to 50% due to the debt so hopefully I can ask to increase it as we get nearer the window.

What's the best role for your striker on this if you're playing 1 upfront?

Target man doesn't work with the match engine as your players override the instructions and smash long balls to the Target man in poor situations.

Complete forward they dribble and shoot too leading to too many pointless highlights 'great work to the goal'

Advanced forward they don't seem to get in the game unless they're random

Target man doesn't work with the match engine as your players override the instructions and smash long balls to the Target man in poor situations.

Complete forward they dribble and shoot too leading to too many pointless highlights 'great work to the goal'

Deep lying forwards seem to work quite well this year, maybe even a false 9 if you want them more involved in the game without shooting every five seconds.

Decided to have a break from Spakenburg and try a save with the lerds, first season ffs...Last game of the season we were two points behind City & United. City drew 3-3 at Leicester having been 2-0 and then 3-1 up, and United lost at home to Stoke thanks to two Glen Johnson penalties :lol:

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
I may be tempted to cash in then and go for a younger replacement in January. Van Ginkel is currently listed for sale and would probably cost less overall.
They've knocked the percentage down to 50% due to the debt so hopefully I can ask to increase it as we get nearer the window.
He has 4 goals and 3 assists in 7 games on my Everton game got him after the first season for 4.7 mill quality

Is it you who had the Everton save

I only use 2D but it looks like my players keep shooting from ridiculous angles and from miles out. I'm pretty sure I haven't instructed them to.
I'm really struggling to get Defoe into the game too. He's scored just two goals - one of which was a penalty and the other from about 25 yards out. I'm not sure whether to go with Anichebe instead for the physical presence. Has anyone had success with Defoe?

Tried to shift O'Shea off the books ahead of January but he wants to be loyal so turned down his offers. I don't want you!

I only use 2D but it looks like my players keep shooting from ridiculous angles and from miles out. I'm pretty sure I haven't instructed them to.
I'm really struggling to get Defoe into the game too. He's scored just two goals - one of which was a penalty and the other from about 25 yards out. I'm not sure whether to go with Anichebe instead for the physical presence. Has anyone had success with Defoe?

Tried to shift O'Shea off the books ahead of January but he wants to be loyal so turned down his offers. I don't want you!

What are their ratings for composure and decision making? What team instructions do you use?

What are their ratings for composure and decision making? What team instructions do you use?
Their ratings are average, ranging between 10 for the likes of Watmore and around 15 for Defoe, but I'm not instructing the team to 'shoot on sight' or to 'shoot more often' etc.
On another note, is there a way to instruct your team to cross the ball from the byline, or is that a decision making thing? I've noticed that we get in great positions down the side of the box, but instead of rolling it across for a tap in they tend to shoot wildly.

Their ratings are average, ranging between 10 for the likes of Watmore and around 15 for Defoe, but I'm not instructing the team to 'shoot on sight' or to 'shoot more often' etc.
On another note, is there a way to instruct your team to cross the ball from the byline, or is that a decision making thing? I've noticed that we get in great positions down the side of the box, but instead of rolling it across for a tap in they tend to shoot wildly.

Try shoot less often and cross more often?

Every time a highlight comes on it seems like we're under siege. I'm trying to find a balance between being solid and being able to get forward but finding it a bit of a struggle.

I've just won a game 3-2 with Rodwell in goal for 45 minutes! Pickford had to go off injured and I'd accidentally removed Mika from the bench. We were 2-1 down with ten to go but Januzaj and Defoe scored to complete a turnaround.

Stopping being so open is definitely something I need to work out though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back