FM 16

Season 10 Overall, Season 4 with Monaco

Transfers

As usual, my big stars are in demand from the big clubs and I can't keep them all. Once again, a 1 season striker left me for big money. Carvalho, who scored 37 goals last season left for Chelsea for £46m rising to £70m. This time replacing him was easy. I had a 19 year old rotation wonder kid who was ready to step up. I then spent £32m on another wonder kid from Toulouse to rotate with him. Also leaving was my keeper to Milan for £16m. I replaced him with better and also freed up a foreign player space in the process allowing me to bring in regen Rai Santos who looks like a younger version of my best player, Pelezinho.

Trophies

My team was noticeably much better this season. We dominated from day 1. 31 wins from 38 games led to a 98 point total, something that PSG couldn't match. Monaco are the champions - their first league title in 25 years! Obviously in addition, I won the FA Cup for the 3rd successive year. So the double for Monaco was a very nice return. There was still agony in this season though. The Champions League dream was briefly on. After 5 games in the group, I was 2nd and qualified. Zenit and Sparta were out. Arsenal were 3 points ahead of me but they had to come to my house in the last game. They didn't get out in 1 piece. Monaco 2-0 Arsenal. I had topped the group. This was crucial as an easier draw in the next round would surely await. It turned out to be Schalke. They won the Bundesliga this year so not as easier as I was hoping, but I needn't have worried. I slaughtered them 5-1 away from home in one of my greatest ever performances. A 2-2 draw in the 2nd leg saw me through to the next round. My QF opponent was Porto. Easy in theory, but the Portuguese teams have grown surprisingly strong. 2 tough games ensued but I overcame them 3-1 on aggregate. The semi final draw pitted me against Benfica. I'll be honest, I was confident. I was going to the final. But disaster struck. In the FA Cup semi final the week before, the most extraordinary game took place. After 120 minutes against Nantes, I had won 7-4 but had suffered 4 injuries (3 to key players) and had finished the game with 10 men. This affected my performance badly. A 1-0 defeat at home made the tie really tough and they edged the 2nd leg as well to send me out 4-2 on aggregate.

Star Players

Rosvan Mammadov gets mentioned every season. For £23.5m, he has been a sensational signing. 41 goals in 40 games and 11 assists this season. He's demanding a transfer to Barcelona though and it may be impossible to keep him.
Teklewelde Getnet is a 20 year old wonder kid who came through the ranks at Monaco. Last year was his breakout season, but this year he has won the European Golden Boy and put himself in the top bracket of strikers with 40 goals in 40 starts. He's already considered a legend in Monaco.
Gino Peruzzi loves life as a wing back. Another 25 assists this season has earned him the player of the year award and another contract. He's 33 soon though so he has to slow down shortly.

Summary

1 League Title, 1 Europa League win and 4 domestic cup victories in 4 years is a great return for the team who were 4th best in France when I took over. I'm happy with the achievement. But it feels like the ceiling has been hit. 3 star players want to leave and the club have given me £8m to improve the squad. It's time for me to move on again so I've resigned from Monaco.

The Next Challenge

In the last season I've turned down Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd and Man City. England is where the money and the talent is but it's not my destination. I'm looking to fulfil a dream. That dream will take me to Serie A. I want to replicate and surpass the greatest team in football history - Il Grande Torino. Torino won 5 consecutive titles in Italy in the 1940's. Every player was Italian and in one famous game 10 of them started for the national team. The 1 who didn't was the goalkeeper, who was a regular starter but was benched for the game to give the reserve keeper a match. That Torino side went 4 years unbeaten at home. They were unstoppable, inspired by their captain Valentino Mazzola, often considered one of the best players of all time. Unfortunately the Superga air disaster in 1949 saw the whole team killed along with many of the staff. Torino were never the same again. Had that disaster never happened, the early years of the European Cup might have been dominated by them rather than Real Madrid and history would be completely different. With that in mind, I aim to manage a Serie A team to 5 consecutive titles using solely Italian players and having every 1 play for the national team. I would like this team to be Torino but that might be out of my hands. I can guarantee though that it will not be Juventus, Milan, Inter, Roma, Lazio or Napoli. The club will be a provincial one with either no success or historical success. I'll holiday for a while and see which clubs become available to me.

Yeah. Go to players search and select 'Home Grown' from the menu then you can search for @club and type Crewe. I added everyone who looked half decent to my short list and have so far signed

Nicky Maynard, James Bailey, Cheyenne Dunkley, Adam Trickett Smith and Billy Waters
I played a game like this with Crewe a few years ago, think I got successive promotions to the premiership, maybe 2 years in the championship (when they were in league 1). The first couple of years were really tight financially as a good academy set up is so expensive. I used to fly through seasons as I wasn't looking for signings, really enjoyed the game. Not sure you could do it at a club without the same youth setup as you wouldn't get good enough regens to finance improvements or running costs. Crucial that you get players tutored to boost the determination and train players for multi positions e.g. full backs to play on both wings.

The most frustrating thing was when you had an obvious weakness in your squad, it was always keeper and strikers for me, and you get really excited about the new youth intake and you get a 5th good centre back but all 4 keepers are league 2 standard :lol: I managed to get up to about 8th in the premiership but struggled to get higher as I had a couple of exceptional players but other clubs were buying world class regens for every position.

I played a game like this with Crewe a few years ago, think I got successive promotions to the premiership, maybe 2 years in the championship (when they were in league 1). The first couple of years were really tight financially as a good academy set up is so expensive. I used to fly through seasons as I wasn't looking for signings, really enjoyed the game. Not sure you could do it at a club without the same youth setup as you wouldn't get good enough regens to finance improvements or running costs. Crucial that you get players tutored to boost the determination and train players for multi positions e.g. full backs to play on both wings.

The most frustrating thing was when you had an obvious weakness in your squad, it was always keeper and strikers for me, and you get really excited about the new youth intake and you get a 5th good centre back but all 4 keepers are league 2 standard :lol: I managed to get up to about 8th in the premiership but struggled to get higher as I had a couple of exceptional players but other clubs were buying world class regens for every position.
im 8 seasons in with burnley won prem once a few Europa fa cup and league cup wins normally cant finish higher than top 6 just qualified for champs league yet I get 1mill to spend only area im weak is fullback my facilities are good yet the regens never end up good enough for prem.

I'm really enjoying the save so far mate, top of League One in Jan of my 4th season which is really surprising. One thing I have noticed though is a lot of my youth intakes have low determination and I don't know the reason why. Out of 3 intakes I only have a 3 or 4 players who are in and around the squad. I do have a right winger and a centre back who could end up being really good Championship players though, right winger is first choice but the centre back is only backup at the moment

I'm also playing a keeper but he is Conference level at the moment, he is the best of a bad bunch

I'm really enjoying the save so far mate, top of League One in Jan of my 4th season which is really surprising. One thing I have noticed though is a lot of my youth intakes have low determination and I don't know the reason why. Out of 3 intakes I only have a 3 or 4 players who are in and around the squad. I do have a right winger and a centre back who could end up being really good Championship players though, right winger is first choice but the centre back is only backup at the moment

I'm also playing a keeper but he is Conference level at the moment, he is the best of a bad bunch
It's a few versions since I played it but tutor as many players as you can with any senior player who has a higher determination. Even do it in two steps so they go from say 8 to 11 to 14 with two senior players. I found that doing that you could even lift players with 10/11 in the important stats to 15/16 (if they had the potential). I never loaned them out as they seemed to benefit more from my training and tutoring than they would being at a club with poorer facilities and coaches. I'd also have at least a couple of kids on the bench and play a few of them in cup matches or unimportant matches towards the end of the season. Playing them even for just a few games at a time seemed to help their stats develop a lot.

It's a few versions since I played it but tutor as many players as you can with any senior player who has a higher determination. Even do it in two steps so they go from say 8 to 11 to 14 with two senior players. I found that doing that you could even lift players with 10/11 in the important stats to 15/16 (if they had the potential). I never loaned them out as they seemed to benefit more from my training and tutoring than they would being at a club with poorer facilities and coaches. I'd also have at least a couple of kids on the bench and play a few of them in cup matches or unimportant matches towards the end of the season. Playing them even for just a few games at a time seemed to help their stats develop a lot.

Aye I have a few who have their stats jump up after only playing a handful of games like. I'm ok financially at the moment as I sold a highly rated striker for 1m to Cardiff in the last summer window, he was really highly rated by my staff but his stats were crap so I wasn't bothered about selling him as it allowed me to keep the right winger who is actually playing in the first team

The majority of my side is still the players I started off with or ones who I have signed who had previously graduated from the academy then left the club.

My best piece of business so far was selling James Jones for 2.5m to Celtic in the first season winter window, just signed him back in season 4 pre-season for free.

2 seasons into and old save and have blown away League 2 and 1 with Portsmouth :cool:

Cleared the decks of the players who won't be good enough for the championship to free up wages. But to my shock no young players who've just been released don't want to sign for us :eek: tried signing Jon Williams, McNair, Blackett, Sonogo to name a few and all moved elsewhere :evil:. Only signings so far are Anthony Lozano and Darron Gibson at this rate I'll have to sign Steven f***ing Taylor :lol:

In pre-season between my 7th and 8th season on my Youth Academy Graduate only save, I've done this so far

Season 1: Promoted to League One via play offs after finishing 7th
Season 2: Finished 9th in League One
Season 3: Finished 14th in League One
Season 4: Promoted to Championship after finishing 2nd
Season 5: Finished 9th in Championship
Season 6: Finished 3rd in Championship, missed out on automatic promotion on final day then lost play off final
Season 7: Finished 7th in Championship, missed out on play offs on goal difference

Clubs has had all of their facilities improved no end and has a really good side, even had 8m in the bank. During the summer the Chairman has retired and a group led by David Beckham have taken over and he is now considering my future as he wants to replace me with me U-21 team manager the f***ing squeaky prick

He had decided to let me stay due to the being impressed by the support of my management, bellend

In pre-season between my 7th and 8th season on my Youth Academy Graduate only save, I've done this so far

Season 1: Promoted to League One via play offs after finishing 7th
Season 2: Finished 9th in League One
Season 3: Finished 14th in League One
Season 4: Promoted to Championship after finishing 2nd
Season 5: Finished 9th in Championship
Season 6: Finished 3rd in Championship, missed out on automatic promotion on final day then lost play off final
Season 7: Finished 7th in Championship, missed out on play offs on goal difference

Clubs has had all of their facilities improved no end and has a really good side, even had 8m in the bank. During the summer the Chairman has retired and a group led by David Beckham have taken over and he is now considering my future as he wants to replace me with me U-21 team manager the f***ing squeaky prick

He had decided to let me stay due to the being impressed by the support of my management, bellend
Hahaha, any good talent coming through?

Finally got East Stirling to the SPL, getting out of league 2 and 1 was easy but the championship was tough, took 5 seasons and even managed to get relegated and promoted before finally getting it right, being made a professional club a couple of seasons ago was a big help. A net spend of 1.5m to get to the SPL too.

Are the regens crap in all saves? In mine the players of today are still winning all the world awards and in the international teams despite it being 2027 and in other news Sunderland are spending a 6th season in League 1, Kevin Phillips is manager and they finished 3rd.

Also like I've got Puyol as a scout on 250 quid a week, must have fallen on hard times.

Last edited:
Finally got East Stirling to the SPL, getting out of league 2 and 1 was easy but the championship was tough, took 5 seasons and even managed to get relegated and promoted before finally getting it right, being made a professional club a couple of seasons ago was a big help. A net spend of 1.5m to get to the SPL too.

Are the regens crap in all saves? In mine the players of today are still winning all the world awards and in the international teams despite it being 2027 and in other news Sunderland are spending a 6th season in League 1, Kevin Phillips is manager and they finished 3rd.

Also like I've got Puyol as a scout on 250 quid a week, must have fallen on hard times.
I have had 2 decent regens come through my academy in all the time I have put into FM 16.

So, I've took up this Crewe challenge after buying the game today for £5.

Started well, but Charlie Kirk got injured in pre season and is out for a while. Brought in Liam O'Neill from the youth....

Playing Andre Brown up top because Saunders is injured, and brought in Hayden Mullins as a free agent. I've changed Ur rules a little so I could sign players on free, but only in pre season.

Otherwise the starting team goes like this (4-1-4-1)

Garratt

Baillie
Davis
Nugent
Guthrie

Mullins

O'Neill
Jones
Bingham
Cooper

Brown

Played Barnet away in first game, won 3-0 with O'Neill notching 2 and Bingham adding a third. Then played PNE away in C1C and won 2-0, Brown and O'Neill scoring.

Cheltenham away up next.

Started well, but Charlie Kirk got injured in pre season and is out for a while. Brought in Liam O'Neill from the youth....

Playing Andre Brown up top because Saunders is injured, and brought in Hayden Mullins as a free agent. I've changed Ur rules a little so I could sign players on free, but only in pre season.

Garratt

Baillie
Davis
Nugent
Guthrie

Mullins

O'Neill
Jones
Bingham
Cooper

Brown

Played Barnet away in first game, won 3-0 with O'Neill notching 2 and Bingham adding a third. Then played PNE away in C1C and won 2-0, Brown and O'Neill scoring.

Cheltenham away up next.
Now 5 games in and on a 100% record, although Charlton knocked me out of the C1C in second round.

Villa snatched Callum Saunders for £575k rising to £1m. Gutted, although he only actually played 1 game for me.

O'Neill has been amazing, scoring 5 in 4 with 3 assists. Brown has 3 in 4.

Last edited:
Hahaha, any good talent coming through?

Got a few now like mate, I'm in season 11 in the Premier League. Got promoted then went down with 23 points, won the Championship then stayed up on the last game of the season. Currently 12th after about 13 games or so. I've got 3 players who have played for England and they are on long contracts. Still got 3 players who played in League 2 for me in the first team as well which is quite the achievement, I've had 6 testimonial games in the last couple of years as well

Last season I nearly won the League Cup but I got beat 2-1 in the final off Man Utd. I'm a bit bored of it now that I'm in the PL and actually stayed there. Think it might be time to knock it on the head and get FM17

Garratt

Baillie
Davis
Nugent
Guthrie

Mullins

O'Neill
Jones
Bingham
Cooper

Brown

Cheltenham away up next.

Now 5 games in and on a 100% record, although Charlton knocked me out of the C1C in second round.

Villa snatched Callum Saunders for £575k rising to £1m. Gutted, although he only actually played 1 game for me.

O'Neill has been amazing, scoring 5 in 4 with 3 assists. Brown has 3 in 4.

Get Oliver Finney in there mate. He is still in my first team after 10 and a bit seasons and is currently my captain. James Jones, James Bailie, George Cooper and Callum Saunders are still in or around my first team as well. George Ray, Oliver Turton, Harry Davis and Callum Ainley were all top notch for me till I got into the PL

Also raise your Junior Coaching whenever you can, it affects the PA of your youth intakes so it's more likely you will get players who can go straight into the team. Youth Recruitment affects their PA so is worth investing in as well

Last edited:

After winning the premiership in my first season with SAFC on FM2016, I qualified from my group in the ECL only to be drawn against Bayern Munich in the first knockout round.

After losing my away leg 2-1. I only needed a 1-0 victory to progress, but as Bayern were fielding a 4-1-2-1-2 through-the-middle formation with no wingers, I thought I'd have a fuck around with formations for a laugh before playing the match "properly".

I figured, if they're not fielding wingers, then there's no point me fielding full-backs, so I went for a 2(DC)-1(DMC)-2(MC)-2(AML and AMR)-3(STL/R/C) formation with a counter-attack strategy. Yes, a 2-1-2-2-3 formation.

After going a few goals down early on, I switched to a 2-0-2-3-3 Overload formation.

The result was a 7-5 loss, but I thought it was an amusing match so I've uploaded the goals to YouTube.

After winning the premiership in my first season with SAFC on FM2016, I qualified from my group in the ECL only to be drawn against Bayern Munich in the first knockout round.

After losing my away leg 2-1. I only needed a 1-0 victory to progress, but as Bayern were fielding a 4-1-2-1-2 through-the-middle formation with no wingers, I thought I'd have a fuck around with formations for a laugh before playing the match "properly".

I figured, if they're not fielding wingers, then there's no point me fielding full-backs, so I went for a 2(DC)-1(DMC)-2(MC)-2(AML and AMR)-3(STL/R/C) formation with a counter-attack strategy. Yes, a 2-1-2-2-3 formation.

After going a few goals down early on, I switched to a 2-0-2-3-3 Overload formation.

The result was a 7-5 loss, but I thought it was an amusing match so I've uploaded the goals to YouTube.
You won the Premier with SAFC in your first season??

You won the Premier with SAFC in your first season??

Haha, yeah. I can't claim it as a proper victory though - this game was more about messing around with tactics than it was being about a proper game, so there were a fair few reloads in there where I was trying out different variations in certain situations, but I was still quite impressed with my team for managing to win it with the limited funds we had available :lol:

Back