FM 16

Any data updates out for this pre-season so far? I know it will be best to wait till the window shuts like but I'm sure a few sites were updating data files during the summer window last year

Well tonight I have started my last new game on this as FM17 is preordered so I'll not get time for another game on the ole FM16 now after this save. Decided to be the lads, gone for a 5-3-2WB formation this time, also playing a high line in defence n setting my keeper to sweeper (anyone feel free to offer me advice on a good sweeper keeper that's cheap n cheerful, preferably with a rushing out higher than 12). Valentin Roberge was my first sale of dead wood he went to rennes for £625k also I terminated the loan of dame n'doye. First pre season fixture I've drew 0-0 with Alloa. Defoe got the lowest rating with a 6.3 and PVA got the highest at LWB with a 7.2. Second pre season game against Raith I battered them 0-5. Defoe getting on the score sheet and watmore coming off the bench second half scoring a brace, watmore got the highest rating for me in the game with a 8.8, the lowest was Beadling with a 6.6.
Thinking with the formation I reckon I'll struggle in the league but I like it & want to give it a try n make it work, any tips would be very much appreciated.

Started a new game last week with the lads, with the recent update (transfers up to date etc, mags in championship).

Off loaded all the shit. Got rid of Larsson, Rodwell, Lens, Vito, van Aanholt, Jones, Cattermole, O'Shea. Had some decent money after all that. Brought in Jung at RB for £1.4 million, Sakho up front for £6.5m, Kenedy on loan from Chelsea, Butland for £11m, and Oviedo at LB for £3m.

Line up looked like this...

GK: Butland
RB: Jung
CB: Kone
CB: Djilibodji
LB: Oviedo
RW: Kenedy
CDM: Kirchhoff
CDM: M'Vila
LW: Januzaj
ST: Defoe
ST: Sakho

Lost the first two games, then went on the run of my life. I was pissing it and had a 14 point gap at the top of the table at one point and went on a 23 game unbeaten run, only to fall off the cliff in the last 10 games, bringing it right down to the wire. I was top by just 2 points going into the final game against Man Utd, who were in 2nd. I ended up securing a draw to win the league.

In the summer, I brought in a few new players, but then Barcelona and Juventus offered me interviews. I went to them both, got turned down at Barcelona, but Juventus offered me the job so that's where I am now. Their squad is old as fuck. Bought Mahrez for £32m.

Started a new game last week with the lads, with the recent update (transfers up to date etc, mags in championship).

Off loaded all the shit. Got rid of Larsson, Rodwell, Lens, Vito, van Aanholt, Jones, Cattermole, O'Shea. Had some decent money after all that. Brought in Jung at RB for £1.4 million, Sakho up front for £6.5m, Kenedy on loan from Chelsea, Butland for £11m, and Oviedo at LB for £3m.

Lost the first two games, then went on the run of my life. I was pissing it and had a 14 point gap at the top of the table at one point and went on a 23 game unbeaten run, only to fall off the cliff in the last 10 games, bringing it right down to the wire. I was top by just 2 points going into the final game against Man Utd, who were in 2nd. I ended up securing a draw to win the league.

In the summer, I brought in a few new players, but then Barcelona and Juventus offered me interviews. I went to them both, got turned down at Barcelona, but Juventus offered me the job so that's where I am now. Their squad is old as fuck. Bought Mahrez for £32m.
Can't believe you didn't take the lads to European glory!

Maybe I am just shite at the game, but how do you get a 14 point gap at the top of the league with SAFC in your first season? You have bought steady but how you have got to top of the league with that I dont know. As I said it might just be me being shite at the game :lol:

Maybe I am just shite at the game, but how do you get a 14 point gap at the top of the league with SAFC in your first season? You have bought steady but how you have got to top of the league with that I dont know. As I said it might just be me being shite at the game :lol:

Do you do your own training? I get that nailed down as early as possible and make sure the formation I use gets maximum familiarity. I also set each players role/duty to whatever they are best at. It gets the players playing decent consistent football. I got pretty lucky with injuries and didn't pick up many long term injuries, think just a couple, but to players I rarely select. I rotated a squad of 19 players on regular occasions and seemed to keep everyone happy.

I've just started a new game and given that create a club thing a go, it's like a fantasy draft. I decided to replace Fulham and had to select a full squad with 88m.

This is what I've ended up with.

GK: Wojciech Szczesny
RB: Danny Simpson
CB: Michael Keane
CB: Maya Yoshida
LB: George Friend
RM: Julien Brandt
CM: Jack Rodwell
CM: Adam Clayton
LM: Lucas Piazon
ST: Saido Berahino
ST: Moussa Dembele (18 year old one)

GK: Wayne Hennessey
RB: Joao Cancelo
CB: Lewis Dunk
CB: Tim Jedvaj
LB: Rubén Duarte
RM: Nathan Dyer
CM: Josh McEachran
CM: Nick Powell
LM: Freddie Sears
ST: Yaya Sanogo
ST: Andre Gray

I'm hoping to push for promotion with this lot. I'm under a transfer embargo until the end of the season, so even if things are going shite, I can't change it in January.

15 years of toil and struggle but Kidderminster became premier league champions
16 years in, and we score an injury time winner to beat PSG in the Champions League Final

Think I won the Conference and League 2
Needed the play offs to get up from League 1 and the Championship (had 3 seasons in the second tier)
After struggling first year in prem, I gradually got better and had a couple of seasons 8-12th
Qualified for the CL 2 or 3 times but could never break the arsenal - man city alliance at the top until now. Arnly finished 4th in the league like when I won the CL
Won a couple of league and FA cups as well

Other interesting bits
I think some rich millionaires have taken over St Mirren and Elgin City in Scotland :lol: as they are the dominant teams up there. St Mirren have won 7 or 8 prem titles on the spin.
Everton just seem to be in a constant spiral of shite, and currently regularly battle relegation in League 1.

I passed on the opportunity to become the best pundit the world has ever seen, to take up the first job that was offered to me - AS Monaco. They had just finished 4th in the French League (3rd/4th is par for them), and had an ageing squad with 35 year old Falcao and 33 year old Diego Costa as their main strikers and 33 year old Willian still a key player in the squad. They gave me a significant budget of around £40m and my objective was to qualify for the Champions League (top 2 for automatic, 3rd for playoff). One thing the board insisted on was that I sign young players for the 1st team. So I started the overhaul of the squad. The 3 old legends all left on free transfers. My 36 year old keeper, 5 year old Lucas Leiva and 33 year old Kevin Strootman all went for small fees. So the old guard was gone, but the team was threadbare. I sold 2 solid wingers for a total of £40m, giving me a big budget to transform this team.

I signed 8 players and with the exception of a 27 year old French international right back, the rest were under 23 and regens. First came the 23 year old Argentine keeper for £3.5m. He's now an International. Then came one of my favourite named Brazilians Pelezinho. He's a 21 year old Brazilian international and can either Anchor my midfield or play centre back. He's already worth more than double the £15m I paid for him and he will be a world class player. Alongside him at the back is 22 year old Andrew Walker. He was initially discovered by me at Basel, before Dortmund signed him for big money. Somehow he was transfer listed there and I brought him to Monaco for £13.5m. My midfield has been strengthened with 3 signings. a 21 year old Argentinian from River to play in the holding role, a 22 year old Chilean from Real Madrid to be a playmaker and Jan Slama, a 19 year old Czech international to play box to box. Slama was another of my discoveries at Basel, but I had to pay £20m to get him from Man City. Finally, my team needed a talisman striker after losing 2 ageing legends. My number one choice decided to go to Chelsea over me so I had to spend big money to land my number 2. I paid £23.5m for 22 year old German international Rovsan Mammadov. He was from my Bayern squad but I loaned him out due to Lewandowski being a legend.

So I'd spent big money, completely transformed the team and now it was time to deliver. But this is a tough league. PSG have dominated for 7 years, but Marseille are now right up their rivalling them on 90+ points a season. Lyon were Monaco's usual competition for 3rd and 4th. Despite competing with Lyon for a while for 3rd, I slipped badly towards the end of the season and finished 8th. I ended up 10 points behind 3rd having lost the last 4 games of the season. The League Cup didn't go too well either. Valenciennes knocked me out in the QF. The FA Cup was much better though and I got to the final beating Marseille and Bordeaux along the way in epic matches. Unfortunately Lyon beat me 3-1 in the final. The season showed promise but was fading badly. It would take a patient owner not to sack me. So my Uefa Cup performance was vital.

After beating Hapoel Tel Aviv (4-2 on agg) and AA Gent (2-0), I managed to qualify for the group stages of the Europa League. My group was relatively easy and I won it, beating Braga, Palermo and Qarabag in the process. First Knockout stage comes around and Young Boys are dispatched easily with 3-0 wins in each game. A 2nd knockout game against Rijeka seems like a favourable draw. But the home leg proved tricky. After my keeper saved a penalty, we managed a 0-0 draw. No problem though, we went to Rijeka and won the game 1-0. Into the QF's. The big teams were at this stage of the draw so I was reasonably content with facing Athletic Bilbao. Tough but not insurmountable. As it turned out, it wasn't even tough. We went to San Mames and scored 4 goals in the last 20 minutes of the game. 4-0 winners and a 0-0 home draw saw us through to the semi final. Here we got the toughest draw though - PSG. They had won the league 6 out of 7 seasons and beaten me home and away already this season so I wasn't expecting much. I was surprised though, my plucky little Monaco team went 2-0 in the first half, away from home. I was already dreaming of the final when PSG struck back. 2 goals from their Dutch hot shot and a 90th minute winner from Veratti left me behind going into the 2nd game. Not a bad result though, 2 away goals. The second leg was tough though. PSG scored early and despite an equaliser from me, we were being destroyed. We scored our only attempt on goal, whilst PSG has 66% position and about 20 shots. 88 minutes gone and the game is reaching it's inevitable conclusion when a PSG corner is cleared by my centre back. My attacking midfielder picks it up and launches it down the flank. Mammadov races from the half way line, picks up the lose ball and heads into the box. He's 1 on 1 with the keeper (a position he misses from way too often). This time he dribbles around the keeper and slots it into the empty net. Monaco 2-1 PSG (4-4 on aggregate), Monaco win on away goals. We're in the Final!!

The final was a war of attrition. Wolfsburg dominated possession much like PSG, but chances were more even and we finished the game at 1-1. Into extra time it went but I had to do so with 10 men after my full back got sent off in the 90th minute. Just on the brink of half time in extra time and my other full back picks up a second yellow. I'm down to 9 men for the last 15 minutes. I make substitutes, go defensive and waste time. I need either 1 counter opportunity or to survive for penalties. The counter never came but we didn't concede either. 10 shots from 12 yards was going to decide which club won the first European trophy in their history. I only missed 1 of my first 4 penalties. The 5th wasn't needed. My keeper had saved 3 Wolfsburg pens and Monaco were UEFA Cup Champions!

A sensational end to a tough season. The Champions League spot from winning the competition probably saved my job. Next season though, I'll need to finish top 3. This club could be excellent though. The players I've signed could all be here for 10 years and could be world class. This summer, I need to strengthen the gaps, attacking full backs is my top priority.

My 2nd season with Monaco is complete and it was an inconsistent season where I couldn't keep pace with the big hitters.

It started with massive turnover in the transfer market again. I find that the big clubs always unsettle my players to the point where I can't always keep them playing well. I sold £97m, worth of talent, the main one being my American centre back to Chelsea for £30m. I signed him just a season earlier but he was demanding a transfer and unsettling my squad. I spent £115m buying 2 attacking full backs and spending £35m on a striker to partner Mammadov.

So here's a summary of my competitions this season:

European Super Cup: Lost 2-0 to Real Madrid

Champions League: Disappointingly finished 3rd in the group stage behind Atletico and Benfica.

Europa League: Knocked out in the 1st knockout round by Man Utd (4-2 on agg)

Ligue 1: Finished 4th on 78 points. 12 points behind eventual winners PSG, although I kept pace with them until Christmas. Weird season as that points total last year would have seen me finish as runners up. I finished 21 points better off than the previous season so my team is improving but it's still very inconsistent.

League Cup: Runners Up. Had a great run, beating Lyon and Bordeaux on the way, but lost 1-0 to the untouchable PSG in the final.

FA Cup: Winners. The treble looked promising at one point, but this is the only trophy I won. The draw was fairly kind to me, although I still nearly screwed it up, having to win on penalties to beat Strasbourg and coming from 3-1 down in the final to beat Angers 5-4.

Star players: I have a decent squad but 3 players stand out a long way. I'm not sure I'll be able to keep them much longer as they're bordering on world class.

Rovsan Mammadov - My German international is now captain of his country. 29 goals in 28 games for them is an incredible record. Last season he scored 46 goals in all competitions for me and won the Golden Boot with 31 league goals. The vultures are circling though and it will be hard to keep him.

Logon or register to see this image

Pelezinho - My Captain for this season had another great season and in high demand. I still can't manage to decide his best position, he performs well in defence and in defensive midfield.

Logon or register to see this image

Joris Gyassi - My Dutch international striker cost me £35.5m in the summer. He repaid me with 30 goals in all competitions.

I think this save is showing just what an average player I am on this game. World Class Players at my disposal and I can't get them performing against the big 10-15 clubs in the world.

Do you do your own training? I get that nailed down as early as possible and make sure the formation I use gets maximum familiarity. I also set each players role/duty to whatever they are best at. It gets the players playing decent consistent football. I got pretty lucky with injuries and didn't pick up many long term injuries, think just a couple, but to players I rarely select. I rotated a squad of 19 players on regular occasions and seemed to keep everyone happy.

I've just started a new game and given that create a club thing a go, it's like a fantasy draft. I decided to replace Fulham and had to select a full squad with 88m.

This is what I've ended up with.

GK: Wojciech Szczesny
RB: Danny Simpson
CB: Michael Keane
CB: Maya Yoshida
LB: George Friend
RM: Julien Brandt
CM: Jack Rodwell
CM: Adam Clayton
LM: Lucas Piazon
ST: Saido Berahino
ST: Moussa Dembele (18 year old one)

GK: Wayne Hennessey
RB: Joao Cancelo
CB: Lewis Dunk
CB: Tim Jedvaj
LB: Rubén Duarte
RM: Nathan Dyer
CM: Josh McEachran
CM: Nick Powell
LM: Freddie Sears
ST: Yaya Sanogo
ST: Andre Gray

I'm hoping to push for promotion with this lot. I'm under a transfer embargo until the end of the season, so even if things are going shite, I can't change it in January.
I have stopped doing my own training in recent years, just let my coaches do it, will try changing that mate, thanks for advice. I do the rest like making sure people play in their best roles etc.

Just started what will be my final FM16 save, hoping to get right into it so I don't buy FM17 but that remains to be seen

Downloaded a transfer window update and decided to do a Youth Academy only save with Crewe who start in League 2. I've made it a little easier on myself by setting the following rules

- I cannot sign any players unless they came through Crewe's Youth Academy, for example I have signed Nicky Maynard on a free transfer
- I'm allowed to play any current non Youth Academy products but I'm not allowed to renew any of their contracts and must accept any bids that come in
- I'm allowed to sign staff
- I haven't decided what to do if I'm sacked yet

Starting squad has a decent basis of players that have come through the Youth Academy and I have a decent enough starting 11 but once injuries / fatigue hits I don't have much in reserve so I'm having to play kids who are nowhere near ready for the first team. I'm mid table at the minute as I'm wildly inconsistent going from hammering promotion favourites to getting beaten easily by some of the poorer sides in the league

I don't really care where I finish up first season like as long as I don't go down, just waiting until March when I get my first intake so I can see what I have to work with

Just started what will be my final FM16 save, hoping to get right into it so I don't buy FM17 but that remains to be seen

Downloaded a transfer window update and decided to do a Youth Academy only save with Crewe who start in League 2. I've made it a little easier on myself by setting the following rules

- I cannot sign any players unless they came through Crewe's Youth Academy, for example I have signed Nicky Maynard on a free transfer
- I'm allowed to play any current non Youth Academy products but I'm not allowed to renew any of their contracts and must accept any bids that come in
- I'm allowed to sign staff
- I haven't decided what to do if I'm sacked yet

Starting squad has a decent basis of players that have come through the Youth Academy and I have a decent enough starting 11 but once injuries / fatigue hits I don't have much in reserve so I'm having to play kids who are nowhere near ready for the first team. I'm mid table at the minute as I'm wildly inconsistent going from hammering promotion favourites to getting beaten easily by some of the poorer sides in the league

I don't really care where I finish up first season like as long as I don't go down, just waiting until March when I get my first intake so I can see what I have to work with

Sounds class that like, going to give that a go myself.

Sounds class that like, going to give that a go myself.

I feel I've 'cheated' a little bit by picking Crewe as they already have decent facilities in place but I've never done this type of game before so I figure I'm most likely going to need a little help. If this save is enjoyable I think I'll do something similar in a minor European league or start in the Conference N/S

The minor European leagues sound the most appealing as if you upgrade your Youth Coaching a bit you should get players ready for the first team straight away as I'm sure Youth Coaching affects the CA your intake player start at, not sure what affects PA like

I'm looking forward to getting into it as I will have to adapt how the team plays depending on who comes through rather than use my same 4-4-2 formation and signing players to fit it

I have to say, the commitment to the game from some of you is admirable.

The assistant reports are terrible. 4 stars etc for a player with like one rating of 14, the rest crap! This is FM 13 i'm talking about. I rely on the assistant reports to a gedgree. Can't help but feel you have to micro-manage the f"ck out of this game to get anywhere!

Last edited:
I feel I've 'cheated' a little bit by picking Crewe as they already have decent facilities in place but I've never done this type of game before so I figure I'm most likely going to need a little help. If this save is enjoyable I think I'll do something similar in a minor European league or start in the Conference N/S

The minor European leagues sound the most appealing as if you upgrade your Youth Coaching a bit you should get players ready for the first team straight away as I'm sure Youth Coaching affects the CA your intake player start at, not sure what affects PA like

I'm looking forward to getting into it as I will have to adapt how the team plays depending on who comes through rather than use my same 4-4-2 formation and signing players to fit it

So I've started with Crewe as well. I've done things a little differently to you, in that I've terminated the contract of everyone who didn't come through the Crewe youth system, so I'll be starting with Crewe only players from the beginning. I'll likely get relegated, but we'll see.

So I've started with Crewe as well. I've done things a little differently to you, in that I've terminated the contract of everyone who didn't come through the Crewe youth system, so I'll be starting with Crewe only players from the beginning. I'll likely get relegated, but we'll see.

I've scraped together a team. It seems fairly shit, but I don't have much experience of managing in the lower leagues, so maybe everyone looks this bad. This could be interesting.

I've scraped together a team. It seems fairly shit, but I don't have much experience of managing in the lower leagues, so maybe everyone looks this bad. This could be interesting.

9 league games into the season. Currently sitting down in 11th. 3 wins, 4 draws, 2 defeats so far. Saunders and Cooper the best of the bunch so far.

Last edited:

Back