Flying to Oz...

Where's the OP flying from and where to in Aus?

I've used Emirates from Brisbane to Newcastle last couple of trips. Good flight times and connections. Direct to Dubai from Brisbane on A380 (plenty room in economy) with a couple of hours stopover. From Newcastle goes Dubai - Singapore on 747 bit less room.

Heard the Dreamliner’s are class....

The Mrs(pics on here somewhere) is on about stopping via Singapore, wondering if it’s just worth getting the non stop and dealing with it...I expect that costs too though..

If you're going with BA you'll be on a 777 it's a 3-3-3 layout in Economy (for now). There's a brief stopover in Singapore before you head off the Sydney.

yeh yeh, look at me etc....

Can anyone give me a review of what it’s like to fly Economy there? I get back problems and worried about leg room etc...plus it’s a bastard long time...

I did look stupidly at going business class but got quoted £3k...:eek:
I went using Singapore Airlines and just got hammered on the free Tiger beer ;)

Emirates out of Newcastle. Convenient, good flight times, very easy connecting in Dubai and it means you arrive into Australia in the evening.
The A380 is fantastic too and the 777 they use out of Newcastle is alright. The films, and inflight entertainment was good too. Even the food in economy is nice.

Emirates out of Newcastle. Convenient, good flight times, very easy connecting in Dubai and it means you arrive into Australia in the evening.
The A380 is fantastic too and the 777 they use out of Newcastle is alright. The films, and inflight entertainment was good too. Even the food in economy is nice.
Aye I liked that route. Particularly as the Newcastle Dubai route was fairly quiet. Singapore/ Bangkok to Heathrow always packed out every time I've done it. Any chance to avoid Heathrow should be taken too.

This, flew to Melbourne in Feb and we arrived in Melbourne at midnight, helped with the Jetlag.

Aye I liked that route. Particularly as the Newcastle Dubai route was fairly quiet. Singapore/ Bangkok to Heathrow always packed out every time I've done it. Any chance to avoid Heathrow should be taken too.
You cant beat the convenience of flying out of your local airport and the North East is lucky to have that route. I agree if i was flying out to the Far East/Oz/NZ i would never go through Heathrow/Paris/Amsterdam again while Emirates are flying out of Newcastle or Manchester.

This, flew to Melbourne in Feb and we arrived in Melbourne at midnight, helped with the Jetlag.
The flight times are good all the way through and i had hardly any jetlag when i went out to Melbourne last year. I went straight through from Newcastle and by the time you board the flight from Dubai down to Oz you are tired anyway as its about midnight British time so i managed to get a bit of sleep on the plane. Getting in late in the evening and going to bed soon after puts you straight on to their time.
Coming back too is good arriving late in the morning about 11 it is much easier to get through the first day back without falling asleep rather than getting into London at 6am, hanging around there for a few hours for a connnection and landing in Newcastle at half 8. A shorter day makes it so much easier to get back onto our time.

You cant beat the convenience of flying out of your local airport and the North East is lucky to have that route. I agree if i was flying out to the Far East/Oz/NZ i would never go through Heathrow/Paris/Amsterdam again while Emirates are flying out of Newcastle or Manchester.

Aye but last time I flew back from Aus it was something like $700 more expensive to fly the family back on that route. So can put up with Heathrow for that.

Aye but last time I flew back from Aus it was something like $700 more expensive to fly the family back on that route. So can put up with Heathrow for that.
Price is the key factor of course and looking around for the best deal is the way to go. Normally i find Heathrow is more expensive than other airports to connect though i would rather go there than Paris. Now that is an awful airport.

yeh yeh, look at me etc....

Can anyone give me a review of what it’s like to fly Economy there? I get back problems and worried about leg room etc...plus it’s a bastard long time...

I did look stupidly at going business class but got quoted £3k...:eek:

No problem, pal.

Ps...if you are going via Kul get that kernt of a barman in the transit area move himself.

Lazy bassa

Last edited:
Price is the key factor of course and looking around for the best deal is the way to go. Normally i find Heathrow is more expensive than other airports to connect though i would rather go there than Paris. Now that is an awful airport.
I flew Air Asia to KL and then BA to LHR. It was easily the cheapest.

The Air Asia flight was great but the BA one absolutely shite.

we went several year ago. prices from Newcastle to Melbourne were silly, so we flew from Heathrow with Royal Brunei, cost us about £700 each (car parking £50 and overnight hotel half way down £20 Travelodge ha). The 2 stops was the appealing part (plus the £500 we saved compared to Newcastle) due to mobility issues for the wife, but we were very impressed with Royal Brunei (albeit they didn't serve booze, not arsed) & Brunei airport was an eye-opener but all in all we were impressed & we got good seats for leg room which was excellent.

On the way back issues at Melbourne airport meant we got put on an Ethiad flight which was a 1 stopper and found the leg room, service and food to be absolutely shite.

All about preference for folk to be honest. Brother is over from Aus at the moment and flew Ethiad into Manchester and said he couldn't fault the service, yet I found it shite when we used them.............

The flight times are good all the way through and i had hardly any jetlag when i went out to Melbourne last year. I went straight through from Newcastle and by the time you board the flight from Dubai down to Oz you are tired anyway as its about midnight British time so i managed to get a bit of sleep on the plane. Getting in late in the evening and going to bed soon after puts you straight on to their time.
Coming back too is good arriving late in the morning about 11 it is much easier to get through the first day back without falling asleep rather than getting into London at 6am, hanging around there for a few hours for a connnection and landing in Newcastle at half 8. A shorter day makes it so much easier to get back onto our time.
We got delayed coming back and had 24 hours in Dubai. All paid for so not complaining!

Back