Flowered Up

Well put !
That’s how I saw it at the time, pushed and hyped cos London thought it had to have its own Mondays
They were ok but not a patch on the real thing (IMO obviously)
Mondays were geniuses. Although,I think they were plagued by bad production n'all. I may get slated here,but I thought the production on Bummed was awful.Even though it was the brilliant Martin Hannett.I just thought it could've sounded better.Amazing songs though,my favourite mondays album.

They tried to reform as Greedy Soul circa 2005 and even recorded an album that's still on SoundCloud somewhere. There's an absolutely grim song on it called Darkside of the Spoon which gives a harrowing account of heroin addiction. It's all a far cry from the party vibes of Flowered Up's heyday.

Weekender is a great tune but I think they got a lot of help from the producer and some of the session musos on that one. This one stands up but not in the Happy Monday’s league overall imo.

I briefly played bass with a singer in London and we had Simon lovechild on keys who was the original flowered up keyboard player and also played in one of the later reformed line ups. Nice character, he would only drink half’s but had about 30 before every gig 😆

Made some great tunes as a house producer tho, Mombassa cry freedom for one
Mondays were geniuses. Although,I think they were plagued by bad production n'all. I may get slated here,but I thought the production on Bummed was awful.Even though it was the brilliant Martin Hannett.I just thought it could've sounded better.Amazing songs though,my favourite mondays album.
Yeh totally agree on bummed. Sounds like they’re in an aircraft hanger. Assume Hammett wasn’t in a great place at that point

Last edited:
Saw them one night inthe Riverside and they put us on the guest list for Boro Next night.must have been 90/91. They were good until the album came out. Mooncult was a lunatic.
Weekender was great.

Brilliant that. Wonder if it is screened anywhere up here?
F#cking great that like. What a song, and how intense is Liam. Brilliant
Saw them one night inthe Riverside and they put us on the guest list for Boro Next night.must have been 90/91. They were good until the album came out. Mooncult was a lunatic.
Weekender was great.
I was there. Great gig

Last edited:

Back