Florida

We were there end August early September first few days was usual 3:00pm ish thunderstorm, then a hurricane came and everything shut for a day.
The weather after that was fantastic as all of the moisture was gone from the air, we never saw a spot of rain and no thunder storms.
Labor Day came and the new star wars park opened and all the crowds went there.
All of the parks were quite empty and the rides were walk-on instead of queuing for hours.
Will probably go same time again although been told next will be mega busy with everyone delaying things by 12 months

I have kids though so different for me. Also the good restaurants are top notch

It was the room that put me off staying there with kids. The one we stayed at had 2 double beds and a bathroom. I know you don’t actually spend much time there but in a villa we found we could. It has your own pool for the kids to play in, when they are tired they can go to bed in their own room while the adults stay up.

As I say staying at a Disney hotel is an experience, one I’d probably do when I next go, but it would only be for a few days for the kids to experience it and for us to book fast passes before going to a villa for the rest.

It was the room that put me off staying there with kids. The one we stayed at had 2 double beds and a bathroom. I know you don’t actually spend much time there but in a villa we found we could. It has your own pool for the kids to play in, when they are tired they can go to bed in their own room while the adults stay up.

As I say staying at a Disney hotel is an experience, one I’d probably do when I next go, but it would only be for a few days for the kids to experience it and for us to book fast passes before going to a villa for the rest.
Yer just ya own preference isnt it. Either way it’s tremendous

it is mate! Gone through the same shit. Mine valid till april ‘22!

Aye its a pain isn't it. I'm guessing that they will extend the vouchers again if this continues on and on, but for now decided we might as well go ahead with the plans as the flights can be cancelled / changed anyway (small cost for changing I think).

After 3 years of on site stays we mixed it up last year and did 10 days on site, then 7 days I Drive, which was much better than we envisaged. Used that time to do trips we wouldn't normally have done, gator land, the air boats trip which was excellent and a few others.. Booked with a company called Ocean Florida, spot on, and got the above trips for free, and a days trip to clearwater beach, which we will look to do a few days next time, very good.

ive just booked with ocean Florida for October 2022. They price match any deal you see online. They threw a few trips/tickets in probably the ones you mentioned

We drove down to the panhandle a few times whe we lived there stayed at Seaside at great place and Pensacola which is a bit of a party place and one great beaches along the panhandle.

ive just booked with ocean Florida for October 2022. They price match any deal you see online. They threw a few trips/tickets in probably the ones you mentioned
Correct. They give you a price for flights even though they arnt released. Very good imo. Knck spots off tui and Thomas Cook when they were still trading.

Once things settle down with CV19 and get back to normal the price will shoot back up. Now is the time to book.

Been twice last 5 years and both times stopped on site at a Disney hotel (beach/yacht club) for one week then second week moved onto the Universal hotels ( Portofino bay hotel) . It meant you get the free fast passes for both parks included which can save a decent wedge and save you time queuing. Also meant I didn't have to bother hiring a car as the onsite transport is second to non. Nowt better than having a cold beer during the day.
Plenty to do to keep you entertained for the 2 weeks and if I had one tip then it would be to spend as much time in the water park and don't try to stress about fitting everything in.

Also splash out and do the NASA tour - its a full day but worth it.

If we go again then I might think about hiring a car and exploring the region as kids are older now.

love the place did it about 10 year running until 2015 then split up with my ex

Did hotels and villas and think both have there positives

Love I drive though

Used to go to clearwater a lot and also visited cocoa beach which is good

Although Anna Maria island is something else if you fancy getting away from it all to a real old Florida town and beach

Any recommendations for places, villa or a good hotel close to the action? Will have two 7 year olds if that helps.

Did Disney and universal this year so fancying trying getting out and seeing what else is there?

Last edited:
We stayed at Grande Villas Resort in LBV, 5 mins from Disney and 15 from Universal. Was a Condo but probably bigger than my house, superb for a base and walking distance to s few good pub restaurants.

Any recommendations for places, villa or a good hotel close to the action? Will have two 7 year olds if that helps.

Did Disney and universal this year so fancying trying getting out and seeing what else is there?

Class hotel on I drive good location and plenty around you as well

Once the kids are older / moved out would love to go and explore the rest of Florida (along with many other parts of the USA!).

We spent 3 nights down at Rotunda on the Gulf Coast about five years ago. Went searching for shark teeth on the beach one day - didn't have a clue that utt was black teeth we were looking for until a local told us.

Went for a meal at this place called the Pink Elephant at Boca Grande. You could see all of the locals / sunbirds looking at us as if to say "what are they doing in this place". They all drove around the place in their little gold buggies. Stunning town but sort of unwelcoming place as it's all about the money!!

Been a while since I talked about this, so as a reminder - Why do people like I Drive? What do you do there that makes it a good location?

Been a while since I talked about this, so as a reminder - Why do people like I Drive? What do you do there that makes it a good location?
Just think its got the restaraunts and bars if you fancy after the parks and if your into the shopping both the good places are top and bottom of I drive

We’ve been twice - first time stayed in a villa with my friends who kindly done all the driving.

Second time was just me, the missus and two bairns (17 yo and 1 yo), and neither of us wanted to drive so stayed on I-Drive and loved it.

Just got the free hotel shuttle to the parks or got an Uber during the days, and was nice going for a walk on a night and finding somewhere to eat. Very chilled and took the youngest to the Icon Park bit which he loved.

Enjoyed eating out at all the American chains and even though I don’t doubt locals roll their eyes about them (same as we might about chains over here), we loved them and had a blast. I like them sort of sports bar type efforts serving ribs or boneless wings or burgers etc.... and with a million sports screens on.

I realise we’re in a minority and I get the appeal of Villas (and we really enjoyed it when we stayed in one), but we really loved staying on I Drive.

Last edited:
We’ve been twice - first time stayed in a villa with my friends who kindly done all the driving.

Second time was just me, the missus and two bairns (17 yo and 1 yo), and neither of us wanted to drive so stayed on I-Drive and loved it.

Just got the free hotel shuttle to the parks or got an Uber during the days, and was nice going for a walk on a night and finding somewhere to eat. Very chilled and took the youngest to the Icon Park bit which he loved.

Enjoyed eating out at all the American chains and even though I don’t doubt locals roll their eyes about them (same as we might about chains over here), we loved them and had a blast. I like them sort of sports bar type efforts serving ribs or boneless wings or burgers etc.... and with a million sports screens on.

I realise we’re in a minority and I get the appeal of Villas (and we really enjoyed it when we stayed in one), but we really loved staying on I Drive.
Millers ale house is brilliant for this

Millers ale house is brilliant for this

Aye, it’s spot on, watched my team (Jets) there one NFL Sunday sitting at the bar drinking beers and eating wings, charting to the other folk there and it was cracking. Great little memory.

TBH, I didn’t expect to (the leeriness isn’t really my scene) but went with the family (on step daughters insistence after she’d been with her dad) and I loved Hooters.

Food was amazing and with all the sports on, was great. Weird vibe though - very family friendly and all that, then they’ve got waitresses knocking about in tiny tops and lingerie!

I don’t think I’d go on my own to watch a match (like I did Millers) as it’d feel a bit creepy, but I did like it more than expected.

Back