Florida

Aye, that's right. Thought it was sooner for some reason. 2+ more years before I can go - but I'm fancying Last 2 weeks in Jan myself.
I'm staying onsite the last two weeks of January. Spending the first half in a villa.

You'll have the dreaded 5th person next time you stay, it'll probably mean staying onsite at a moderate with a 5th sleeper works out just as good value as off-site once you factor in free dining.

I'm staying onsite the last two weeks of January. Spending the first half in a villa.

You'll have the dreaded 5th person next time you stay, it'll probably mean staying onsite at a moderate with a 5th sleeper works out just as good value as off-site once you factor in free dining.
Might end up going with either set of the folks again tbh, then they can "take" 1 of the kids.

Might end up going with either set of the folks again tbh, then they can "take" 1 of the kids.

Ideal. Check out the prices of a 5th sleeper room at a moderate with free dining. If you're going to be doing plenty of character dining then it can be cheaper.

Flying out to Orlando sunday morning.
Hurricane arrives the day after ffs.
Anyone have experience of this type of thing / adverse weather conditions when over there?
Better take some colouring books and crayons, because you will be doing nothing until Wednesday or Thursday. It's expected to be a bad one. My kids have been told not to go back to school until Thursday

Anyone have experience of this type of thing / adverse weather conditions when over there?
Try not to shit your pants.

Been there after a hurricane once, trees everywhere but buildings all seemed fine, must be pretty normal for them.

Last edited:
If you’re on Facebook follow a US meteorologist called Denis Phillips. He’s really good for advice and updates. The most recent model runs have it heading more northerly and skirting the east coast of the state and into the Carolinas. Worst weather is on the east side of it so inland and Orlando shouldn’t be too bad.

We were there soon after Irma in 2017 (cat5 storm) and the damage was barely noticeable. The air con in our hotel gym had broken :)

Have a great time. Hope you get a look round galaxy's edge

Two things to bear in mind about hurricanes:

1. There’s nowt you can do. Especially if you’re in a hotel. So don’t get all anxious just accept that it’s coming.
2. Whatever happened ‘last time’ has little bearing on what might happen this time. I’ve experienced hurricanes in Texas where everyone panicked and left town, they got into massive tailbacks on the freeways, ran out of petrol and had to be rescued by AAA (I stayed in the pub!). The next hurricane everyone said ‘bollocks I’m staying home this time’ and got slammed by massive wind and rain!

No matter what category they are over water they usually blow out fairly quickly once they make landfall so Orlando being inland will likely experience waves of heavy rain and wind from the outer bands of the storm but unlikely to get a direct hit. People are panicking anyway buying up petrol and water bottles etc. and schools and workplaces in the Tampa area by me are already looking like closing for Tuesday.

Last time was Irma in 2017. We were in England at the time and had a few extra days as TPA (and MCO) were closed. By all accounts the weatherman on CNN was hyping the storm to buggery and increasing everyone’s anxiety like was armageddon on the way, while the local news channels were much more measured and calm. That’s if the telly doesn’t go out on you. We have a dish on the roof which doesn’t work in heavy rain!

Like the lad said above, take some stuff that doesn’t require electricity / internet to keep you occupied if the telly / internet / power goes out, and hope that the hotel bar is well stocked.

Good luck!

Two things to bear in mind about hurricanes:

1. There’s nowt you can do. Especially if you’re in a hotel. So don’t get all anxious just accept that it’s coming.
2. Whatever happened ‘last time’ has little bearing on what might happen this time. I’ve experienced hurricanes in Texas where everyone panicked and left town, they got into massive tailbacks on the freeways, ran out of petrol and had to be rescued by AAA (I stayed in the pub!). The next hurricane everyone said ‘bollocks I’m staying home this time’ and got slammed by massive wind and rain!

No matter what category they are over water they usually blow out fairly quickly once they make landfall so Orlando being inland will likely experience waves of heavy rain and wind from the outer bands of the storm but unlikely to get a direct hit. People are panicking anyway buying up petrol and water bottles etc. and schools and workplaces in the Tampa area by me are already looking like closing for Tuesday.

Last time was Irma in 2017. We were in England at the time and had a few extra days as TPA (and MCO) were closed. By all accounts the weatherman on CNN was hyping the storm to buggery and increasing everyone’s anxiety like was armageddon on the way, while the local news channels were much more measured and calm. That’s if the telly doesn’t go out on you. We have a dish on the roof which doesn’t work in heavy rain!

Like the lad said above, take some stuff that doesn’t require electricity / internet to keep you occupied if the telly / internet / power goes out, and hope that the hotel bar is well stocked.

Good luck!
Cheers for that mate.

We’re here now, was talking to the locals in the bar yesterday, they’re not too concerned.
Will need to stay in the villa for a few days, we’ve panic bought beer, gin, bread and a tin of spam

Never experienced too much when I've been over there (20 times plus now).

I think the worst I saw was when visiting Kennedy Space Centre and a few tiles were missing from the Shuttle assembly building.

There’s a very good reason why Walt built his park where he did. There will be shit loads of rain but the full hurricanes never hit Orlando. (I’m sure I read somewhere that WDW has only ever closed twice?)
However if you’re on the east coast you’re in for an experience...!

There’s a very good reason why Walt built his park where he did. There will be shit loads of rain but the full hurricanes never hit Orlando. (I’m sure I read somewhere that WDW has only ever closed twice?)
However if you’re on the east coast you’re in for an experience...!

Sort of true but...…………..all the parks close the outdoor rides quite often when thunderstorms hit. Even Busch Gardens in Tampa.

Just read the report on sky news, sound like Armageddon. People here don't seem to concerned at the minute. However we are in the middle of Orlando not on the coast.

Back