Flickr etc and watermarks/copyright

Status
Not open for further replies.

jude

Central Defender
What measures do people take when uploading pics to websites such as Flickr? Do they limit the size of uploads so people cant download hi -res images?

clyde

Winger
i dont, i just upload them and thats that really,however there is an option to disabel people from downloading them, doesnt bother me if someone was to download my images as long as they weren't passing them off as there own or something and if someone was gonna print for commercial use or something then im sure they would get in touch and ask first anyway.

Roger

The Gaffer
Staff member
I just take crap photos that nobody would want to nick ;)

Seriously, if you upload to any file sharing site, there isn't really a way to stop them being lifted, so if you are that worried I think your suggestions are the best 2 solutions short of not uploading them at all.

i dont, i just upload them and thats that really,however there is an option to disabel people from downloading them, doesnt bother me if someone was to download my images as long as they weren't passing them off as there own or something and if someone was gonna print for commercial use or something then im sure they would get in touch and ask first anyway.
There is plenty of evidence of photos being lifted from flickr and passed off as peoples own and used commercially - I don't think many people would ask you.

The option to disable downloads doesn't actually stop people anyway, it just makes it a little harder.

clyde

Winger
very true, where there's a will there's a way.
personally i have been contacted by about 6 or 7 people in the last year about using my pictures for various things...that im aware of anyway.

not spavin

Striker
You're legally covered, but if someone wants to take your picture then they will. There are many examples of even UK tabloids just taken screengrabs of copyrighted images and reproducing them without permission. I wouldn't use Flickr if I make a living out of photography I think. Over the years I've had a few people ask for permission to use my shots on websites and that, though I must admit that I've use shots from Flickr in presentations in the past without seeking permission - though internal presentations only, and always with the Flickr link included.

Status
Not open for further replies.