*~*~* Fleetwood v Sunderland match thread *~*~*

Stewart is playing very well but the three behind him will not score enough scrappy goals in and around the six yard box.

Gooch, Embleton and McGeady will all score a handful from distance but we need more.

We need a player who is pissed off when he doesn’t score. Not sure if Broadhead could be that player, but who else have we got?

We need more players to contribute, but at the end of the day we scored two goals away from home and both Gooch and McGeady especially had good shots saved today. Maybe we should have had it wrapped up 1st half, but we were 2-0 up with about 20 to go and conceded two, we can't really blame the forward players for that.

Think adding a striker today in the second half showed that being attacking isn't as simple as throwing an extra body on and can be a bit naive, sometimes you have to understand what's going on and regain control in the game to then be more attacking and that can be a switch elsewhere.

Couple of things;
  • Firstly, I only followed via certain Twitter feeds today but it seems we had enough chances to be 2 or 3 goals up at HT. There's been a few games like that this season and when that happens and you go in just the one goal up, or level, the opposition know they've 'got away' with it and probably feel somewhat galvanized to come out in the second half and give it a go - much like Fleetwood did today but I've seen it countless times over the previous few seasons. Obvious as it sounds but we need to start putting teams away while we're on top and killing any hopes of the opposition of getting anything out of games. It might be cos it's L1 and players do have their limitations at this level but it's cost us previously and it's cost us the extra 2 points today.
  • Secondly, what the fuck was Wright doing for their first goal? Why go charging out to the that's moved off to go short and leave the defensive line? That movement has then left a gap for the other lad to get in and have an attempt. People might single out Winchester for not following the man but Wright shouldn't be charging out of the defensive line when that lad is a few yards away from it AND has his back to our goal.

I’ll admit earlier in the thread I said Johnson wasn’t a very good manager. That was born of frustration. He’s doing well. Yes, he made a couple of decisions today that were a bit surprising, but overall? Doing well.

Easy on here to forget we all want the team to do well.

Fair play to Fleetwood. They looked outclassed for most of the game, but they never gave up and when we backed off at the end they sensed blood and grabbed the point.

We get yanked all over like that most games and never get a penalty for it.

we did today, we should’ve known the ref was all over it, we didn’t, our own fault
Not when Wigan are turning over Accrington 4-1. We need to start doing similar if we're going to be serious contenders for promotion imo. Canny start overall, but this result raises a few red flags imo. Conceding two goals so late on simply isn't acceptable.

nailed it

Last edited:

Back