Fleabag

Yup, sorry, but VERY late to the party, here!
Only watched it because I saw the link on I-Player and I'm a big fan of Killing Eve.

But, bugger me, this was funny. Sat and watched the whole first series, back to back, yesterday.

The writing is top drawer, characterisation is spot-on, and the comedic timing is superb. Olivia Colman is superb as the mentalist step-mum, although the sister is a bit boring (maybe that's the point).

The mix of tragedy and comedy is so intertwined, you feel almost guilty for still laughing at a funny scene when the pathos comes back round. And what a twist at the end, eh?

The breaking of the fourth wall has been done dozens of times before and it can be overdone, but I think Fleabag hits a good balance.

The funniest scene that had me in danger of genuinely pissing myself? At the country retreat, the note on the blackboard ... "I HAVE BEEN STUNG BY A WASP".

Hit the right note, bang on cue - our lass (no) thought I was going to have a fit!

Just finished the second series. Absolutely topper. I liked the flashes of the priest noticing her talking to the audience (ok breaking the 4th wall) it was intriguing. Thought they might have took that further. Olivia Coleman is a hell of an actress.

Hmm interesting.
I saw a trailer of her talking quietly to the camera which was fairly irritating, so I just assumed it'd be shite and dismissed it.
Based on the comments here I might give it a go.

Just finished the second series. Absolutely topper. I liked the flashes of the priest noticing her talking to the audience (ok breaking the 4th wall) it was intriguing. Thought they might have took that further. Olivia Coleman is a hell of an actress.
Yeah,like he was tapping into her mind .

Hmm interesting.
I saw a trailer of her talking quietly to the camera which was fairly irritating, so I just assumed it'd be shite and dismissed it.
Based on the comments here I might give it a go.
Don't see the problem ,its like a back story as it rolls along
Like Forest gump speaking over the movie
works for me

Last edited:
Yup, sorry, but VERY late to the party, here!
Only watched it because I saw the link on I-Player and I'm a big fan of Killing Eve.

But, bugger me, this was funny. Sat and watched the whole first series, back to back, yesterday.

The writing is top drawer, characterisation is spot-on, and the comedic timing is superb. Olivia Colman is superb as the mentalist step-mum, although the sister is a bit boring (maybe that's the point).

The mix of tragedy and comedy is so intertwined, you feel almost guilty for still laughing at a funny scene when the pathos comes back round. And what a twist at the end, eh?

The breaking of the fourth wall has been done dozens of times before and it can be overdone, but I think Fleabag hits a good balance.

The funniest scene that had me in danger of genuinely pissing myself? At the country retreat, the note on the blackboard ... "I HAVE BEEN STUNG BY A WASP".

Hit the right note, bang on cue - our lass (no) thought I was going to have a fit!

I've only just started watching on the back of this thread. Having seen this post, I expected the wasp joke to be too subtle and pass me by but I properly giggled when I saw it; absolutely brilliant. Just finished the first series and one of the best comedies I've seen in a while.

A few people rave about it at work and ’wor lass’ (behave.....) loves it too. So there’s a side of me that thinks “I’m not watching that”. As it stands, not watched a minute of it. However, got tickets to see it at the theatre next month. The main protagonist is starring in it, no idea of the rest of the cast.

Do I watch the screen version beforehand or just go in ‘blind’?

A few people rave about it at work and ’wor lass’ (behave.....) loves it too. So there’s a side of me that thinks “I’m not watching that”. As it stands, not watched a minute of it. However, got tickets to see it at the theatre next month. The main protagonist is starring in it, no idea of the rest of the cast.

Do I watch the screen version beforehand or just go in ‘blind’?

Hold still, do you mean you got tickets to the actual NT? They’re as rare as rocky horse shit. Or do you mean the screenings?

Back