Flavours which are distinctly Christmas

Cloves, cinnamon and oranges. I've been baking spiced orange slices tonight to hang on my tree, so my house smells of Christmas :D

That sounds lovely !
How do you make them ? I’d love to have a go as I can’t use things like diffusers as they set off allergies.

That sounds lovely !
How do you make them ? I’d love to have a go as I can’t use things like diffusers as they set off allergies.

Thinly slice a big orange.
Mix some cinnamon and powdered cloves into some icing sugar.
Lightly dust each side of the slices.
Lay them flat on the oven shelf and bake for about three hours at 120°C
Use a sharp knife to make a hole to add either a ribbon or string loop if you want to hang them up.

Learned how to make them at Beamish as that's what they did back then!

Scalextric....you know that sort of burning smell as the cars go round the track. Maybe the new ones don’t do it I don’t know. But always reminded me of it as a kid because they used to be set up for Christmas day then spend the rest of the time in the box in a cupboard.

Oops scrap that thought it was things that remind you of Christmas not just flavours!

Last edited:
Thinly slice a big orange.
Mix some cinnamon and powdered cloves into some icing sugar.
Lightly dust each side of the slices.
Lay them flat on the oven shelf and bake for about three hours at 120°C
Use a sharp knife to make a hole to add either a ribbon or string loop if you want to hang them up.

Learned how to make them at Beamish as that's what they did back then!

Thank you😊

Brandy butter. I usually buy a few extra pots to shove in the back of the fridge, because by January they are starting to sell proper hot-cross-buns (not the insipid Tesco kind you can get all year round). Hot-cross-buns with brandy butter is a guilty pleasure of mine!

I've just had some sprout flavoured crisps. They've surprisingly done a good job of the taste of spouts in gravy.

Won't buy again mind.

Back