Flanagan

xmfd

Winger
Noticed a few times now he seems reluctant to clear his lines and causes trouble by trying to leave it for McLaughlin. See the goal yesterday, he had a chance to clear it after McLaughlins save but instead he leaves it and it turns into a scramble.
Can anyone explain why he wouldn't just clear it in this situation

Probably the same reason he's 27 and hasn't played much at a higher level than this

Is it a lack of common sense then? just can't get my head around it. Id be bursting to get there and put it out of play after a great save.

Think he's been decent for us this season like. Would play him at right back if Matthews is out.

I'll give him the benifit of the doubt yesterday as we were playing on a waterlogged mud bath. McLaughlin spilt the ball because of the conditions and Flanagan more or less fell over over the ball.

I always think it's because players are slow to make a decision. He will be instructed to play the ball out from the back, and be patient. This conflicts with the need to get rid of the ball and make sure it's cleared from danger. It's all about concentration and knowing when to do one or the other.

There are times this season when defending, we should have simply smashed the ball out for a corner, instead they have tried to play it out under pressure and we have paid the price. Gooch's poor play against Barnsley was a prime example of this.

I'll give him the benifit of the doubt yesterday as we were playing on a waterlogged mud bath. McLaughlin spilt the ball because of the conditions and Flanagan more or less fell over over the ball.

Aye you're probably right. Easy for me to sit and criticise watching replays on telly really. He has been good for us this season.

Is it a lack of common sense then? just can't get my head around it. Id be bursting to get there and put it out of play after a great save.

Think he's been decent for us this season like. Would play him at right back if Matthews is out.

He's been more than decent for us but brain farts are part and parcel of why players are at this level. It's gonna happen now and again, main thing is not to get overly pissed off or frustrated about it as overall they have done a fantastic job up to now

I always think it's because players are slow to make a decision. He will be instructed to play the ball out from the back, and be patient. This conflicts with the need to get rid of the ball and make sure it's cleared from danger. It's all about concentration and knowing when to do one or the other.

There are times this season when defending, we should have simply smashed the ball out for a corner, instead they have tried to play it out under pressure and we have paid the price. Gooch's poor play against Barnsley was a prime example of this.

I think Gooch got carried away by the oles as we were playing them off the park and 3-0 up. He tried to do far too much. Suppose it comes with having a young squad.

Noticed a few times now he seems reluctant to clear his lines and causes trouble by trying to leave it for McLaughlin. See the goal yesterday, he had a chance to clear it after McLaughlins save but instead he leaves it and it turns into a scramble.
Can anyone explain why he wouldn't just clear it in this situation

Failure yesterday was for someone to take contro, and just clear it. Indecision created their goal with keeper down and couldn’t reach ball. Happened with Barnsley goal as well when hooch should have just lumped it but tried instead to bring it down. Chat from Ross should sort this for all players.

He's our best centre half. Less mistakes in him than Baldwin and Imo a better defender
This, overall game is probably fairly similar to Baldwin but nowhere near as many mistakes. Think he is a lot more likely to step up in the championship than Baldwin is although centre half is our weakest position if we do go up.

No chance IMO. Baldwin the much better defender. I’d bring Loovens in for Flanagan.
If you do that you need to set the team up to protect Loovens because he's so slow. So the defensive line would need to be deeper to protect him, which doesn't look like something Ross would want to do. Pretty much like we had to be with O'Shea.

I'm genuinely surprised by how slow he is. He's younger than me and I definitely reckon I'd beat him in a race.

Back