Fixing a bog seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not exactly the most thrilling thread, but hoping someone can help.

Just bought a house, and the main bog has a problem on one of the hidden hinges.
I took it apart and there was no plug in it - so I bought one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N9FA28I/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_3p_dp_1

thinking it would do the trick.
It fix in the hole, and I screwed it all together - but its not tightening at all. Any suggestions?

I don't mind buying a full new bog seat, but it'll be hard to find the exact size - probably harder than just fixing the fucker.
Buy a new one, a little tip, trying all the posh types with metal legs and too many moving parts over the years, I find the type with all plastic hinges works best and lasts the longest. You also have more adjustment on them. Buy the Victorian ones with bits of metal going every way and you can expect to be adjusting them on a regular basis, in this case plakka is best.

Buy a new one, a little tip, trying all the posh types with metal legs and too many moving parts over the years, I find the type with all plastic hinges works best and lasts the longest. You also have more adjustment on them. Buy the Victorian ones with bits of metal going every way and you can expect to be adjusting them on a regular basis, in this case plakka is best.
When you say "buy a new one", its the correct size plug I need, not the seat. Buying a new seat doesn't solve the problem.

Buying an entirely new bog will though

When you say "buy a new one", its the correct size plug I need, not the seat. Buying a new seat doesn't solve the problem.

Buy the right seat which includes the right plugs. God knows how the hell you'll work that out though.

I've had one of the ones with the metal bits that stick up and you just drop the seat on.

Not sure if the bloke who fitted it didn't tighten it right but I've had to do it once since he fitted it in august. Thankfully it's just a Philips head screw like as I can't access the bottom side without taking the toilet off the wall.

Last edited:

You mean the hinge? The plug is the screw that screws into the metal hinge, is that right? Buy new, you will not have that problem with the one I recommend..

Buy the right seat which includes the right plugs. God knows how the hell you'll work that out though.

I've had one of the ones with the metal bits that stick up and you just drop the seat on.

Not sure if the bloke who fitted it didn't tighten it right but I've had to do it once since he fitted it in august. Thankfully it's just a Philips head screw like as I can't access the bottom side without taking the toilet off the wall.
Eventually the screws work loose, and need constant resetting till they or the part they screw into strips it thread. With the plastic hinges you get none of that. They are really nylon and the fixing screws are nylon, last forever.

Last edited:
Eventually the screws work loose, and need constant resetting till they or the part they screw into strips it thread. With the plastic hinges you get none of that. They are really nylon and
Yeah. The plastics ones were better. I didn't choose the seat. Oh well, hopefully it's not hard to remove the toilet to change the seat one day.

And you assume the hole is actual made correctly, and not a defect - for all I know, the bog seat could be been like that since he bought and fitted it. The useless fucker didn't fix it in the 5 months from me viewing the place until moving in!

You mean the hinge? The plug is the screw that screws into the metal hinge, is that right? Buy new, you will not have that problem with the one I recommend.
No, the plug that goes into the hole of the porcelain pan itself. Then you mount the hinge on top and screw into it - and the screw causes the plug to expand which holds it all in place.
Its not doing that bit.

Last edited:
And you assume the hole is actual made correctly, and not a defect - for all I know, the bog seat could be been like that since he bought and fitted it. The useless fucker didn't fix it in the 5 months from me viewing the place until moving in!

No, the plug that goes into the hole of the porcelain pan itself. Then you mount the hinge on top and screw into it - and the screw causes the plug to expand which holds it all in place.
Its not doing that bit.
the tapered washer believe me the nylon/plastic is the better sytem.

The full seat.
Ah, you missed the bit where I said it wasn't the seat at fault. (or wasn't. See later)

Any way, fixed it now. Located the screw into the puller and forced it in. Then nipped up ok.

Typically, the f***ing seat fixings are also loose, probably from being used whilst not fitted properly, so I am going to have to find a new seat. Bloody square pan, so I'm going to have to measure it and then look for a perfect replacement

Its not doing that bit.
Don’t say you tried the f***ing toilet seat out when you viewed the house? Bet he loved you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back