Fix my Diet!

Sainsburys have just brought a mince replacement out as well thats in the fridges in the meat section havent tried it yet but is meant to be good. Farm foods have a decent non meat mince and their non meatballs are good as well. Stir fries can use shitake and other mushrooms instead of meat still gives meat texture but obviously bit healthier. Another thing to try is jackfruit again quite healthy (can get tins of it for 1.20 in tesco) can use it instead of say pulled pork or hoisin duck.

Adding legumes is good as well (ie beans) I tend to eat a bunch chickpea based stuff anyway but tesco again have these really good mixed bean tins mexican taco and another spicy one, they good for quick meals mix them in with a bit rice etc and quite a bulky filling healthy meal.
Farm foods meat free sausage and burgers are the tastiest meat free option IMO

Farm foods meat free sausage and burgers are the tastiest meat free option IMO
No Bull burgers from Iceland are very good, I like the oopmth stuff in tesco as well for curries and stuff or the kebabs in a wrap or whatever. A lot of people saying the new sainsburys mushroom sausages are really good as well but yet to spot them.

No Bull burgers from Iceland are very good, I like the oopmth stuff in tesco as well for curries and stuff or the kebabs in a wrap or whatever. A lot of people saying the new sainsburys mushroom sausages are really good as well but yet to spot them.
I will try the Iceland burgers.

Slow start, but still a start. Made a mexican bean soup - loads of different beans and veg. Tastes lovely, and really filling.

Honestly not just saying it like we all usually do when trying "diet food". This is tasty and for about the first time ever, I didn't want to reach for bread while eating it.

Exactly what I need.

I had more or less the same thing yesterday with meat free meatballs to big it up.

Just looked up the ingredients in them, Amongst the many many ingredients is dextrose :eek: . I think I'd rather have a Westlers burger than that.

Ok, so I've finally got a little bit of time to work on my quite crap diet.

I've got a wife and 3.5 yr old in the house, and with me being out from 7am-6pm most days, its a bit tough to really do much meal planning, and my missus does most of the cooking.
The bairn eats at the childminders 3 times per week, and I'm planning to start working 2 times per week at home, which does open up some extra chances to add some better meals.

As it happens, I'm riddled with GERD, so I need to eat 2hrs before I go to bed (usually 10pm ish). The probable way this is going to work is that one of us will bath and bed the bairn while the other cooks. I know this is obvious, but I've found it pretty hard to walk in the door after a long/hard day at work and do anything but collapse on the sofa. I tend to crash pretty hard about 6pm and only really wake up about 8 - which is too late to start cooking........ but I'm going to try.

I'm not looking for uber-diet scran here. It needs to be stuff we enjoy, or we'll go back to our old ways pretty quick - we've both done fixed diets before where you eat shit meals from books that you tell yourself are "ok while we're on this diet", but truthfully would never eat otherwise. This needs to be a middle ground that we can do long term.
Quinoa instead of rice is something I'd try. Quark instead of cheese? Fuck that.

We like loads of different stuff. Curries, Mexican, Stews, pizza, BBQ. She loves salads whereas I'm really not keen on anything of that type - its ok as a garnish, but its rare I enjoy a salad (although she does a bean and avacado salad that I enjoy from time to time).
I really really hate celery and courgettes - as in, I can tell if they've been blended into a sauce!

We're not skint, and happy to buy shortcuts to make things easier.
Would be great if anyone could throw suggestions into the thread - thanks in advance.
I got all the ‘lean in 15’ books (joe wicks)
Personally I think they’re brilliant.
Lots of fresh healthy meals , very easy to do (usually less than 15 mins).
I didn’t really cook much before I got them, and always used pasta sauces jars etc, but now I never buy jars of food.
Nearly all our meals are freshly home cooked. It’s easy enjoyable cooking! I really enjoy going through the books - hundreds of recipes to choose from.
Treat ourselves to a curry most weekends from kris dhillon ‘the curry secret’ - fab book of curries like you get from a restaraunt. This takes about 2 hrs to make the base sauce (which I Freeze and make enough for about 8 curries).

Made the best bolognese I've ever had last night. It's uber healthy too.
All my fancy dan chillies are in the post today to make a huge batch of chilli too

Looking forward to having a go with these

Logon or register to see this image

Have you got a slow cooker?
Setting a stew away in the morning so it’s ready when you get in could be a big time saver.
Got an instant pot - does a slow cooker's job in 30 mins. It also has a slow cook function too, but can't see why I'd ever use that tbh.
Plus, I never have any time on a morning.

Got an instant pot - does a slow cooker's job in 30 mins. It also has a slow cook function too, but can't see why I'd ever use that tbh.

For things like chillis etc, it's sometimes handy to do everything in the pan but the big simmer and just chuck it in the slow cooker on low until it's needed, especially handy if you're having a drink and just want something to slop out later.

Those instant pots, are they pressure cookers? I remember years ago my mam would make stews and stuff in no time in her pressure cooker, they seemed to go out of fashion in favour of slow cooking.

For things like chillis etc, it's sometimes handy to do everything in the pan but the big simmer and just chuck it in the slow cooker on low until it's needed, especially handy if you're having a drink and just want something to slop out later.

Those instant pots, are they pressure cookers? I remember years ago my mam would make stews and stuff in no time in her pressure cooker, they seemed to go out of fashion in favour of slow cooking.

You can do the same with the instant pot. But you can also brown things off in the same pot.
Yes, electric pressure cookers - all the benefits of the old ones, but safer and with timers.

Also, fuck me, those chillies are stinking the house out. Even in plastic bags. Double bagged now and in a drawer. But jesus, the house reeks

Slow start, but still a start. Made a mexican bean soup - loads of different beans and veg. Tastes lovely, and really filling.

Honestly not just saying it like we all usually do when trying "diet food". This is tasty and for about the first time ever, I didn't want to reach for bread while eating it.

Exactly what I need.
The spicy bean casserole on the bbc website is topper imo.

Which ones did you get?
The ones in the picture above. Acho & Chipotle for flavour, Habanero and Ghost for heat. Hope one of each isn't too much in ~6 portions of chilli. Just spent an hour making it, its in the instant pot for 30 mins now to stew, then it'll need to simmer with the lid off to thicken (that's one thing about the instant pot, no steam gets out (unlike like a slow cooker), so everything comes out watery if you don't adjust for it beforehand, but I wanted to be sure there was plenty liquid here, plus I used the water from rehydrating the chillies for the beef stock.

The ones in the picture above. Acho & Chipotle for flavour, Habanero and Ghost for heat. Hope one of each isn't too much in ~6 portions of chilli. Just spent an hour making it, its in the instant pot for 30 mins now to stew, then it'll need to simmer with the lid off to thicken (that's one thing about the instant pot, no steam gets out (unlike like a slow cooker), so everything comes out watery if you don't adjust for it beforehand, but I wanted to be sure there was plenty liquid here, plus I used the water from rehydrating the chillies for the beef stock.

I made a batch of chili for four once with two ghost peppers and it was mad hot. One would be about right, but still hot.

Back