Fitzies end of a era

Gay man 1 - That's too big to gan in

Gay man 2 - But it fits Gerald's?

Gay man 1 - Nah, but that was with lube, which we have not, I'm going to have some Microchips instead

lol.

Dirty bastards. Fitzies could do with a refurb like, been the same since the late 80's and looks tired now.
Got done up (I'm guessing) about 7-8 year ago? Same traditional pub style, but it did get done up.

If it's the Matt I'm thinking of (34 y/o, shaved head) he was still there a few weeks ago.
That's Matty. Matt is a bit older with specs. Could be mistaken for Harry Hill.

Got done up (I'm guessing) about 7-8 year ago? Same traditional pub style, but it did get done up.
Yeah, it definitely changed, but I remember being disappointed after the refurb, like it ended up worse. Ale was always decent like but took a hammering recently.

Poor selection of ales as with most pubs in town centre now. Only decent beer now seems to be in The Harbour and The Avenue.

The blossoming 'gay scene' in the Harbour has changed things a bit like..each to their own though.
:cool:

ffs :lol:

Duncow and Kings are still good. As is Torque. Couple of belters in the Fire Station anarl.
I still can't forget when in the duncow the anarchy blonde star went off mid pint and he changed barrel and continued as if it was fosters or summat. Also in the fire station the lass rinsed my glass out under cold tap before pouring my pint. I was aghast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prices do seem to have gradually crept up but I’m surprised to see so many calling the place a dump, it’s nowhere near what I’d consider a dump. Still a good traditional cosy boozer I reckon. Shame about the curry and chips though, I only tried them a couple of times because on a matchday I tend to leave the pubs for drinking and eat from a burger van instead but they were canny nice.

Fitzies chicken curry and chips the best pub meal you will have in Sunderland if this is true its a sad day for the city.
one assume that if the fryers were removed, someone somewhere was lucky at a spreadsheet and decided that the chips didnt add up to the best pub meal... shame that like, although still surprised SJF would do that.

Chaplins the Ivy House the Ship Isis the Vaults the Saltgrass Grannie Annies and the Peacock (Derry) are all quality for ales.

Disagree on the Peacock. Been in a few times and the choice has been poor, had a couple of ropey pints as well. Last twice we’ve gone to go in (Saturday night and a Sunday afternoon I think, though not 100% sure) it’s been deserted so we’ve turned around and not bothered. Fire Station is better.

Chaplins is ok, beer isn’t brilliant but it’s drinkable. Too many bland pale ales and bitters on though.

Was in Granny Annies yesterday and the handpull choice was average, can’t even remember what it was but nowt appealed. I drink the Shedhead Pale Ale in there and that’s quite decent.

Back