Fitbit Ionic or Garmin Vivoactive 4S

B

becs

Had a Fitbit Charge HR 2 for years but it's almost dead! Battery doesn't hold a charge for long and it's not recording stuff accurately.

Can't decide between the Ionic or Vivoactive 4. Narrowed it down to those two as they both have built in GPS, as the connected GPS on my current Fitbit is rubbish and doesn't always work.

More interested in the sports and health features. Not so fussed about mobile phone functions or music on the watch.

Which one is best and why?

Had a Fitbit Charge HR 2 for years but it's almost dead! Battery doesn't hold a charge for long and it's not recording stuff accurately.

Can't decide between the Ionic or Vivoactive 4. Narrowed it down to those two as they both have built in GPS, as the connected GPS on my current Fitbit is rubbish and doesn't always work.

More interested in the sports and health features. Not so fussed about mobile phone functions or music on the watch.

Having owned versions of both brands I’d get the Garmin every time Becs, much more accurate and the battery life is class.

Just started using my charge 2 again.. trying to get 100k steps in a week.. was on for it and then had a lazyish weekend so fell 10k short.

On 23,000 for the week so far.. so if I can get to 32 by end of day I reckon I might make it

Had both fit bit and Garmin , Garmin is best . Best interface with phone but does lose paring . Both rubbish for real heart rate training though.

I paid around £300 for a Samsung frontier about 2 year ago and although its been a good watch it hasnt been worth the price imo. When ever I'm in the market for another will probably look at a garmin

I'm also a Charge 2 owner and looking to get something new. The things I like about Fitbit are the ability to log food in there (rather than have a separate app) and the sleep functionality - do Garmin have these please? Thanks in advance.

I'm also a Charge 2 owner and looking to get something new. The things I like about Fitbit are the ability to log food in there (rather than have a separate app) and the sleep functionality - do Garmin have these please? Thanks in advance.

Garmin does have the sleep tracking as I use that feature so checked it had it. Not sure about food logging though.

Rather than start a new thread I'll post this here. I'm looking for a HR monitor chest band and a watch but I want the chest band to work with my phone without the watch is this possible?

Garmin does have the sleep tracking as I use that feature so checked it had it. Not sure about food logging though.
The food logging in Fitbit is rubbish anyway as it’s US based. It might have got better since I last looked like, but I’d still always link it to MyFitnessPal and just use the good logging in there.

I have a Versa and like it because it’s more of a smart watch. But if you’re looking for built in GPS, Mr B has the Ionic and likes it, and it seems accurate enough when he runs. We do often have some strange differences between us when we’ve been out for the day and we can figure out whether it’s his under-counting, mine over-counting, or a combination of that plus it not counting steps properly when one of us pushes the buggy.

I have a Versa and like it because it’s more of a smart watch. But if you’re looking for built in GPS, Mr B has the Ionic and likes it, and it seems accurate enough when he runs. We do often have some strange differences between us when we’ve been out for the day and we can figure out whether it’s his under-counting, mine over-counting, or a combination of that plus it not counting steps properly when one of us pushes the buggy.

It'll be the buggy! I think it's the angle of your wrist when you are pushing things and it doesn't realise you are moving. I've noticed that with shopping trolleys and pushing my Dad in his wheelchair.

The food logging in Fitbit is rubbish anyway as it’s US based. It might have got better since I last looked like, but I’d still always link it to MyFitnessPal and just use the good logging in there.

I get on ok with the food logging - food labels can have a tolerance of up to 20% anyway so if it doesn't have exactly what I'm looking for I just take a proxy.

I've found issues with buggy pushing and step counting too.

Funnily enough, after posting yesterday, my Charge 2 battery died without warning. It's charged again but was definitely time for a change - plumped for the Charge 3 in the end - familiar, reasonably priced and does what I need it to.

Just started using my charge 2 again.. trying to get 100k steps in a week.. was on for it and then had a lazyish weekend so fell 10k short.

On 23,000 for the week so far.. so if I can get to 32 by end of day I reckon I might make it
Tracking steps is good for increasing your productivity, but rubbish fir actual steps. Me & owa lass went to the Metro Centre, walked about with each other & the steps were about 3,000 different. That’s why when I’ve seen groups say aim for x amount of steps, I’ve took it with a pinch of salt.

Tracking steps is good for increasing your productivity, but rubbish fir actual steps. Me & owa lass went to the Metro Centre, walked about with each other & the steps were about 3,000 different. That’s why when I’ve seen groups say aim for x amount of steps, I’ve took it with a pinch of salt.
I think it’s good if you’re targeting increased activity. No pedometer is perfect, but as long as you use it to do things like make sure you walk about every hour, or aim to get over a certain number every day, thus keeping your activity up, then they can be great.

plus remember your lass will probably have shorter legs than you so will take more steps.

I think it’s good if you’re targeting increased activity. No pedometer is perfect, but as long as you use it to do things like make sure you walk about every hour, or aim to get over a certain number every day, thus keeping your activity up, then they can be great.

plus remember your lass will probably have shorter legs than you so will take more steps.
Aye, you’re right. Especially the increased activity bit. It’s more a dig at fitness experts aiming for steps as a generic goal. If you want to go from 7,000 steps to 10,000 a day, it works for that, but “step-wise” it means nowt.

Going off this thread, might try a Garmin next. Got the HR2, good fit calories, which is all I really wanted, but if Garmin incorporates GPS, might be a step up once this dies. The GPS, is it any good for tracking distance in 5aside? Lots of small bursts in a small area as opposed to a run miles long?

Aye, you’re right. Especially the increased activity bit. It’s more a dig at fitness experts aiming for steps as a generic goal. If you want to go from 7,000 steps to 10,000 a day, it works for that, but “step-wise” it means nowt.

Going off this thread, might try a Garmin next. Got the HR2, good fit calories, which is all I really wanted, but if Garmin incorporates GPS, might be a step up once this dies. The GPS, is it any good for tracking distance in 5aside? Lots of small bursts in a small area as opposed to a run miles long?
I wouldn't get a garmin for 5 a side like 😂

Pricey like?! Haven’t looked, but it’s only really calorie counting & telling the time I use it for.
I just don't see the point for 5 a side. I think the best value watch on the market for gps is forerunner 235, does steps, sleep, hr. I have a garmin fenix 5x

Back