Fitbit Ionic or Garmin Vivoactive 4S

I got a Garmin forerunner 35 for Christmas before last and it took quite a while for the GPS to "bed in". It was taking absolutely ages to pick up GPS (in fact I took it back thinking it was a dodgy one) but the second one was exactly the same. It took till about April for it to pickup the GPS quickly all the time. I don't know if all Garmin's are the same but just a heads up to anyone thinking of buying one. That said, mines spot on now

I got a Garmin forerunner 35 for Christmas before last and it took quite a while for the GPS to "bed in". It was taking absolutely ages to pick up GPS (in fact I took it back thinking it was a dodgy one) but the second one was exactly the same. It took till about April for it to pickup the GPS quickly all the time. I don't know if all Garmin's are the same but just a heads up to anyone thinking of buying one. That said, mines spot on now
My 735xt was very similar. Very rarely takes more than 10-20 secs now.

My 735xt was very similar. Very rarely takes more than 10-20 secs now.
these models got the ability to use GPS and GLOSNASS? I have them both turned on and find my forerunner 630 very accurate and picks up within 10 seconds and going onto 'run' setting

The only time mine doesn’t seem to kick in straight away is when I’m at the start of a race or out with a big group with the running club, which I assume is just down to loads of people trying to get GPS at once, other than that it’s spot on.

I just don't see the point for 5 a side. I think the best value watch on the market for gps is forerunner 235, does steps, sleep, hr. I have a garmin fenix 5x

Do the Forerunners work for swimming too? The 735xt was down to £150 on black friday but I dithered and it is back up now. The fenix looks good but more than I want to pay.

Do the Forerunners work for swimming too? The 735xt was down to £150 on black friday but I dithered and it is back up now. The fenix looks good but more than I want to pay.
Yes, the 735xt Trialaton watch. I've got it and it's superb.

Bear in mind it's about 4 year old, the screen resolution isn't the best compared to others on the market now, but for features you can't knock it.

Yes, the 735xt Trialaton watch. I've got it and it's superb.

Bear in mind it's about 4 year old, the screen resolution isn't the best compared to others on the market now, but for features you can't knock it.

Aye I'm regretting not buying it as nothing else is particularly floating my boat now.

I just want something with good GPS tracking that also gives swimming data. Seems like Garmin is the way to go

Aye I'm regretting not buying it as nothing else is particularly floating my boat now.

I just want something with good GPS tracking that also gives swimming data. Seems like Garmin is the way to go
Garmin fenix 5x, it's toppa. Check out sports pursuit

T'other half has just swapped her Fitbit for a Garmin vivoactive 3 music and is mightily impressed by its features and connect app. Was less impressed to find out you had to have a spotify premium subscription to get the music working however.

Garmin fenix 5x, it's toppa. Check out sports pursuit

Thanks looks a good website that. I eventually got myself to the suncity Thurs session you recommended a while back. Need me a good watch to get moving up those lanes :D
there's loads of good conditions 5x's for sale on the usal places atm too with the 6 coming out.

John Lewis have the fenix 5s plus on for £399 which is way more than I wanted to pay but am tempted. Seems to do the lot.

Last edited:
Thanks looks a good website that. I eventually got myself to the suncity Thurs session you recommended a while back. Need me a good watch to get moving up those lanes :D

John Lewis have the fenix 5s plus on for £399 which is way more than I wanted to pay but am tempted. Seems to do the lot.
Nice one about sun city, I've been the last few weeks.

Might be expensive but I've had my watch 29 months and had zero issues with it, i know people who've bought two watches in that time.

Back