1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fit or Unfit

Discussion in 'SMB' started by niceonemarra, Apr 21, 2017.

1. xmfd

xmfd Winger

Could probably jog for 90 mins but it'd kill me to throw in sprints etc. Actually played 5 a side in January and it was hard. Generally look after myself until the weekend comes and then things just fall apart

niceonemarra likes this.
  2. MURPHY1973

MURPHY1973 Goalkeeper

I run between 40 to 50 km per week so class myself as fairly fit.

At my sons football teams training session last week the parents were asked to join in.

I was wrecked after 15 mins...

3. Mackem00

Mackem00 Striker

Fitter than most people I know.

4. Lexingtongue

Lexingtongue Striker

Fit. Just came back from travelling and stuffing my face with giant cheap meals and filling my gut with beer and I still managed to lose 6lb due to all the walking and hiking I did. Back now and starting the gym again so things can only get better. I'd be in goal, too, but that's only because it's my position. :lol:

5. Lukas73

Lukas73 Winger

I can run for 90.....
    Just don't give me the ball....

niceonemarra and Mackem00 like this.
  6. The Raven

The Raven Winger

Last time I played 5 a side;

Pulled left side of my groin while 'warming up', pulled right side of my groin just as the game started, went in goal, saved a shot and cracked a bone in my wrist.

I'll let others decide..

niceonemarra likes this.
  7. Unfit. Not overweight but couldn't run for 90 mins.

8. rocky

rocky Striker

Unfit but currently (well not at this precise moment) doing something about it.

niceonemarra likes this.
  9. Clinically dead almost

10. Pacific

Pacific Striker

unfit. play 5 a side twice a week but in goal so can get away with it :lol:

i'd be absolutely fucked if i tried playing out for anymore than about 5 minutes

11. Unfit if comparing with football fit, fairly fit for my age, just speed walked 5k with my security detail, and they were all flagging behind me.

12. goalie material only...

niceonemarra likes this.
  13. Kent_Mackem

Kent_Mackem Striker

Unfit and utterly talentless, although I can pass a football which makes me a decent 5-A-Side player. I play to my (only) strength. Surprising how many goals an otherwise shit player can set up.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  14. Walter Ego

Walter Ego Winger

Unfit. Fucked knee. Stopped me joining the RAF.

I'll stick to the ultradistance cycling...

15. Pants

Pants Winger

Are you doing anything on Wednesday night?

Mackem00 likes this.
  16. Kent_Mackem

Kent_Mackem Striker

Aye.... playing 5-A-Side in Cambridge

17. ywcmackem

ywcmackem Central Defender

Unfit to the point where I have had to decide to take stock and try and put right. Started diet and exercise regime recently. How long it lasts is another thing.

Kent_Mackem likes this.
  18. DaveH

DaveH Striker

It is amazing what a change of pace or even terrain can do. If you are not used to sprinting football is a killer.

I had the opposite a couple of years ago when I started training for the Great North Run. I started with 3 mile runs. At the time, I would have the occasional cycle to work, a trip to the gym once a week, 3 games of 5-a-side and every 3-4 weeks would have a 11-a-side game where I would generally play the full 90. Especially in the 5-a-side I would always try to do a lot of running. So doing a 3 mile run at around 8 mins per mile should be no problem right? Wrong!

Being used to sprinting, I used the RunKeeper app to warn me about my pace being too fast, but by the 3rd mile I really struggled at first. The difference was hitting the fairly gentle hills coming home. I had not run on anything other than perfectly level ground for years and not continually at one pace for a long time. I just didn't have the muscles developed for getting up hills. It was quite a surprise and took a couple of months before I felt comfortable with a 3 mile at a decent pace. Once I cracked that barrier, I was able to extend to 4,5 then 6.5 and 8 without much trouble at all.

MURPHY1973 likes this.
  19. Dave Herbal

Dave Herbal Striker

I can play 5 a side without collapsing but it's hardly sprinting for an hour.
    I find you can walk or jog into the correct positions due to experience, as opposed to the young kids who tear around for the whole game.

I can run/walk/run about 2 miles.

Cycle about 20 comfortably but it's the C2C in June so will be ramping that up to 50.

20. niceonemarra

niceonemarra Midfield

Alright Rodwell lad.

Kent_Mackem likes this.