Fit or Unfit

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could probably jog for 90 mins but it'd kill me to throw in sprints etc. Actually played 5 a side in January and it was hard. Generally look after myself until the weekend comes and then things just fall apart

I run between 40 to 50 km per week so class myself as fairly fit.

At my sons football teams training session last week the parents were asked to join in.

I was wrecked after 15 mins...

Fit. Just came back from travelling and stuffing my face with giant cheap meals and filling my gut with beer and I still managed to lose 6lb due to all the walking and hiking I did. Back now and starting the gym again so things can only get better. I'd be in goal, too, but that's only because it's my position. :lol:

Last time I played 5 a side;

Pulled left side of my groin while 'warming up', pulled right side of my groin just as the game started, went in goal, saved a shot and cracked a bone in my wrist.

I'll let others decide..

unfit. play 5 a side twice a week but in goal so can get away with it :lol:

i'd be absolutely fucked if i tried playing out for anymore than about 5 minutes

Unfit and utterly talentless, although I can pass a football which makes me a decent 5-A-Side player. I play to my (only) strength. Surprising how many goals an otherwise shit player can set up.

Last edited:
I run between 40 to 50 km per week so class myself as fairly fit.

At my sons football teams training session last week the parents were asked to join in.

I was wrecked after 15 mins...

It is amazing what a change of pace or even terrain can do. If you are not used to sprinting football is a killer.

I had the opposite a couple of years ago when I started training for the Great North Run. I started with 3 mile runs. At the time, I would have the occasional cycle to work, a trip to the gym once a week, 3 games of 5-a-side and every 3-4 weeks would have a 11-a-side game where I would generally play the full 90. Especially in the 5-a-side I would always try to do a lot of running. So doing a 3 mile run at around 8 mins per mile should be no problem right? Wrong!

Being used to sprinting, I used the RunKeeper app to warn me about my pace being too fast, but by the 3rd mile I really struggled at first. The difference was hitting the fairly gentle hills coming home. I had not run on anything other than perfectly level ground for years and not continually at one pace for a long time. I just didn't have the muscles developed for getting up hills. It was quite a surprise and took a couple of months before I felt comfortable with a 3 mile at a decent pace. Once I cracked that barrier, I was able to extend to 4,5 then 6.5 and 8 without much trouble at all.

I can play 5 a side without collapsing but it's hardly sprinting for an hour.
I find you can walk or jog into the correct positions due to experience, as opposed to the young kids who tear around for the whole game.

I can run/walk/run about 2 miles.

Cycle about 20 comfortably but it's the C2C in June so will be ramping that up to 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back