Fish Shop Friday Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Was up in Seahouses last weekend (let's say Friday for arguments sake) and had fish and chips from Lewis's Fish Restaurant on the main street down to the harbour. Absolutely beautiful. one of the best bits of cod I've ever had. Chips were spot on as well. No pics shite review not bothered.

Curry and chips with plenty of batter on my way home from work. Bought a sneaky sausage too. Lush!

Papa's at Willerby report

As you approach a chippy, the first thing is the smell. The smell of this one brought a smile to my face - the smell of good old-skool fish and chips. Premises is on a roundabout on the A164 at Willerby, just outside of Hull. Front is a fish and chip restaurant with a bar. If they show football, I may be introducing my homies to it.

Logon or register to see this image

You can see the red banner, proclaiming the BBC award it won. It was recommended by colleagues at work, who are regulars of the other Papa's chippy at Bilton, and had recently taken advantage of their 1p for fish and chips night to celebrate the BBC win.

Busy inside, but served quickly. I ordered medium haddock and chips at £4.25. Scraps were not offered, nor asked for. Fish and chips were served in a box. Despite being medium, portion was decent. To give an idea of scale, fish was about a foot long

I rushed them home, took photos, then thoroughly enjoyed them, as they were magnificent. Here is the money shot.

Bloody magnificent. Crisp batter with succulent fish inside. Chips offered a tiny bit of resistance, before yielding the fluffy, potatoey goodness inside. Piping hot, and no greasiness to speak of.

Only minor quibble was the writing on he box, clearly stating they served their fish and chips in newspaper, when they clearly didn't. Here is the box lid

I am giving this 9/10

I'm not giving 10/10, because in the unlikely event of finding some fish and chips that are better, I would have nowhere to go. I now need to test the legendary Bob Carver's chippy in Hull, to see if it matches up to the hype. But, for now, I get fish and chips from here, and can strongly recommend them.

As you approach a chippy, the first thing is the smell. The smell of this one brought a smile to my face - the smell of good old-skool fish and chips. Premises is on a roundabout on the A164 at Willerby, just outside of Hull. Front is a fish and chip restaurant with a bar. If they show football, I may be introducing my homies to it.

You can see the red banner, proclaiming the BBC award it won. It was recommended by colleagues at work, who are regulars of the other Papa's chippy at Bilton, and had recently taken advantage of their 1p for fish and chips night to celebrate the BBC win.

Busy inside, but served quickly. I ordered medium haddock and chips at £4.25. Scraps were not offered, nor asked for. Fish and chips were served in a box. Despite being medium, portion was decent. To give an idea of scale, fish was about a foot long

I rushed them home, took photos, then thoroughly enjoyed them, as they were magnificent. Here is the money shot.

Bloody magnificent. Crisp batter with succulent fish inside. Chips offered a tiny bit of resistance, before yielding the fluffy, potatoey goodness inside. Piping hot, and no greasiness to speak of.

Only minor quibble was the writing on he box, clearly stating they served their fish and chips in newspaper, when they clearly didn't. Here is the box lid

I am giving this 9/10

I'm not giving 10/10, because in the unlikely event of finding some fish and chips that are better, I would have nowhere to go. I now need to test the legendary Bob Carver's chippy in Hull, to see if it matches up to the hype. But, for now, I get fish and chips from here, and can strongly recommend them.
It is wrapped in ironic 'newspaper'. Good review except for this faux pas.

My work here is complete, then.
Blackballed.

Curry and chips with plenty of batter on my way home from work. Bought a sneaky sausage too. Lush!
:eek:

I am giving this 9/10

My hero.

Last edited:

I am giving this 9/10

We supply the bloke who supplies Papas and he uses an unbelievable amount of fish. His fish and chips are great and very cheap. Do not bother with ooh aargh Bob Carver. They are shit. In hull I would go to Cave street off Beverly Road. And Dundee Fisheries on Chanterlands Ave. great shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back