First World War Documentary

In line with some other documentaries shared here about Hitler and stuff, I’ve seen this before and really enjoyed it.

BBC Two - Royal Cousins at War, A House Divided

Fundamentally about the Royal Families in place at the start of the war and how the wider connections and jealousies effectively led to the start of the war. In particular how Wilhelm’s upbringing, personality and disability played a huge part in it. Had he not been a breech birth, things could have been hugely different.

Inknow it’s more complex than that, but it’s interesting to think about how apparently small things can impact wider political decisions and lead to huge events.

In line with some other documentaries shared here about Hitler and stuff, I’ve seen this before and really enjoyed it.

Fundamentally about the Royal Families in place at the start of the war and how the wider connections and jealousies effectively led to the start of the war. In particular how Wilhelm’s upbringing, personality and disability played a huge part in it. Had he not been a breech birth, things could have been hugely different.

Inknow it’s more complex than that, but it’s interesting to think about how apparently small things can impact wider political decisions and lead to huge events.
My kind of thing this cheers Hells, will watch this tonight after work.

I watched one about the Royal Family during WW2 - they hid the crown jewels in a brick wall in some random part of a palace etc. Only a couple of the royals knew where they were. All in case the Germans invaded.

That was a very, very good documentary. I`m off to see They Shall Not Grow Old at the Tyneside Cinema soon in 3D. Really looking forward to it.

Thanks. I'll add that to my list of things to watch when I'm off sick next month.

Anyone interested in WWI should watch World War One Apocalypse. It was on the National Geographic channel a couple of years ago and it is up there with the best documentaries I have ever seen and included new German and French footage that had only just been found.

Also The Last Voices Of World War One where the old Tommies speak of the war will bring a real tera to your eye. Such moving interviews.

My kind of thing this cheers Hells, will watch this tonight after work.

I watched one about the Royal Family during WW2 - they hid the crown jewels in a brick wall in some random part of a palace etc. Only a couple of the royals knew where they were. All in case the Germans invaded.

All the paintings in the National Gallery were stored on a slate mine in North Wales. Had to build special temperature conditioned rooms inside the mine to store them in cos it was a bit damp down there.

Also The Last Voices Of World War One where the old Tommies speak of the war will bring a real tera to your eye. Such moving interviews.

I've got the Last Voices books. I like reading tales from people who lived through it rather than just facts in history books. Makes it seem more real and you appreciate more what they must have gone through.

I've got the Last Voices books. I like reading tales from people who lived through it rather than just facts in history books. Makes it seem more real and you appreciate more what they must have gone through.
Some of those men and women are in the documentary too. The bloke in the DLI George Littlefriar I think he`s called is a rear character but when he talks about losing his best friend and he breaks down, that will make you cry.

Some of those men and women are in the documentary too. The bloke in the DLI George Littlefriar I think he`s called is a rear character but when he talks about losing his best friend and he breaks down, that will make you cry.

That part got me. Loved watching it. So sad.

Currently available on iPlayer.

Just back from the Tyneside Cinema after watching They Shall Not Grow Old in 3D and I have to say it was absolutely stunning. I was expecting it to be good but when the film went from the smallish black and white screen to opening up in full colour and 3D it was breath taking. It felt so real and the trenches and barbed wire seemed in touching distance. How on earth they managed to do that with 100+ year old footage is anyone`s duress but that was a brilliant and very moving documentary that pulled no punches with its footage.

If anyone is looking for a good read I can thoroughly recommend ‘The Trigger’by Ben Trueman.
During the Yugoslavian civil war Trueman, the Daily Telegraph war correspondent, is sheltering from some shelling in a graveyard in Sarajevo when he stumbles across the gravestone of Gavrilo Princip. This leads to Trueman later tracing Princips journey from his birth place in a small village in Bosnia to Sarajevo.

If anyone is looking for a good read I can thoroughly recommend ‘The Trigger’by Ben Trueman.
During the Yugoslavian civil war Trueman, the Daily Telegraph war correspondent, is sheltering from some shelling in a graveyard in Sarajevo when he stumbles across the gravestone of Gavrilo Princip. This leads to Trueman later tracing Princips journey from his birth place in a small village in Bosnia to Sarajevo.
That looks like an interesting read. I may well check that out.

Love out like this. Thanks

Thanks for sharing, will check it out.

Would urge anyone interested in WW1 to check out Hardcore History by Dan Carlin's "Blueprint for Armageddon" podcasts. Something like 5 episodes totalling around 20 hours on WW1. Fantastic for regular commuters or long car journeys.

Really puts some perspective on the scale of the events form the time and how it was so different to previous wars

Seen before, it's good!

Back