[First Test] England v West Indies - Southampton

Harsh on wood like

Slightly short but bowling 95mph can’t be described as poor, that’s his role in the team

This goes to highlight that it’s not all about pace, the media all they ever talk about, they go on like it’s easy bowling in England

It really isn’t, you need consistent fuller length and the ability to swing
is Archer maybe not quite the red ball bowler we thought? No idea

Both have been too short compared to where the Windies got most of their wickets. Archer still early in his test career, he'll come good

Both have been too short compared to where the Windies got most of their wickets. Archer still early in his test career, he'll come good

Wood is doing what he was picke dto do though

average speed 89mph plus, Cricviz said the fastest average of any english bowler ever (Records only started in 2006)

Its more on archer, he has the new ball
not that accurate and not that quick. No doubt he will have a good career, but he looks the worst of our attack

Last edited:
Have to admit I'd been looking forward to cricket returning, but then watching it with the same dreary commentators, England misfiring everywhere, and still the best England seam attack includes Jimmy Anderson.... I don't know, but it's just not grabbing my attention like it used to. Perhaps when we get into the second innings and there is some kind of chase on i might get enthused.

Have to admit I'd been looking forward to cricket returning, but then watching it with the same dreary commentators, England misfiring everywhere, and still the best England seam attack includes Jimmy Anderson.... I don't know, but it's just not grabbing my attention like it used to. Perhaps when we get into the second innings and there is some kind of chase on i might get enthused.

Why wouldn't the best seam attack include our best ever bowler?

Why wouldn't the best seam attack include our best ever bowler?
I know it's said and his stats back that up which have been compiled through his very long career, but he's only effective in English friendly conditions and doesn't have a great deal of impact any more. I'd have hoped that better bowlers would have come through in the last few years, but they haven't which I guess is my complaint, not with JA himself who dutifully keeps going.

I know it's said and his stats back that up which have been compiled through his very long career, but he's only effective in English friendly conditions and doesn't have a great deal of impact any more. I'd have hoped that better bowlers would have come through in the last few years, but they haven't which I guess is my complaint, not with JA himself who dutifully keeps going.

He took a 5-fer in South Africa this year

Yes. I don't want to complain about him as such, but it's more a thing of him and Broad still being the choice options indicating that we aren't getting much top talent coming through. Nothing against JA at all.

If we’d played Anderson, Broad and Woakes and bowled first this would probably have been a totally different game

Back