Porterfield
McGiven
Kerr
Watson
Chambers
Tueart
Sub Hughes

1-1 at home to Norwich 1971/72

Can't understand how Chambers got the nod over Hughes mind.Perhaps Billy's hair was too long for Brown's liking!:D

Dickie Rooks was effectively Charlie Hurley's deputy. Colin Nelson was an amateur who was a Pharmacist in Boldon. Dave Elliott played against Man U in the FA Cup run and was transferred to Newcastle United shortly after.

Montgomery
Nelson
Ashurst
Anderson
Rooks
McNab
Davison
Herd
Clough
Fogarty
Mulhall

Walsall at Home - October 1962. Thanks to Statcat

Won 3-2 vs Burnley

Monty
Nelson
Ashurst
Elliott
Rooks
McNab
Usher
Herd
Hood
O’Hare
Mulhall

Mick Buxton played for Burnley that day.

Thanks StatCat
Dave Elliott right half game was 1964 I think

Iain Hesford
Paul Lemon
Alan Kennedy
Steve Doyle
Frank Gray
Gary Bennett
Gordon Armstrong
Mark Proctor
Keith Bertschin
Dave Swindlehurst
Eric Gates

What kind of a sick bastard of a fatha takes his 8 year old to a game where you lose by winning 4-3 🤷🏻‍♂️

Montgomery, Malone, Bolton, Towers, Ashurst, Moncur, Kerr, Train, Holden, Robson, Greenwood (Hughes)
Bolton, Easter Monday 1976. 8 yo in the Roker end. It still ranks as one of the most memorable days of my life.

It was v reading at home in 1973. I can’t remember the exact team but most of those who won the cup were involved

17/11/62 v PNE...won 2-1... It was the day of the Seaham Life boat disaster

@viccarlton

It’s brought back another memory of my dad taking me to see Jaws around 1975 ish

I’ve not been in the sea since nor st James. Must have been testing me out :lol:
@viccarlton

It’s brought back another memory of my dad taking me to see Jaws around 1975 ish

I’ve not been in the sea since nor st James. Must have been testing me out :lol:
Wrong thread

Last edited by a moderator:
SAFC v Brentford 5-2
F.A. Cup 3rd Round
Roker Park 28 Jan 1967.

Montgomery
Irwin
Harvey
Todd
Kinnell
Baxter (1)
Kerr
O’Hare (1)
Martin (2]
Herd
Mulhall (1)

Sub: Suggett
v Peterborough FA Cup 1967. We won 7-1, think it was Kerr's debut?

Montgomery
Irwin
Harvey
Todd
Kinnell
Baxter
Kerr
O' Hare
Martin
Herd
Mullhall
It wasn’t....I saw him in the third round v Brentford.

Last edited:
1974/75
Montgomery, Malone, Guthrie, Longhorn, Watson, Moncur, Kerr, Hughes, Halom, Robson, Towers sub Belfitt
3 - 1 vs Southampton
Attendance 34,021
Watson, Robson & Hughes scored - Channon for Southampton,

Montgomery
Irwin
Ashurst
Todd
Heslop
McGiven
Baker
Park
Hughes
Harris
Tueart

Sub Kerr
Feb 70, lost 1-0 to the team that won the world cup, and 'arry

The first Sunderland game, my Dad took me to see at Roker Park, was against Aston Villa, in 1972.
I was 9 years old, and was absolutely mesmerised, watching the Great Billy Hughes, (my all time Sunderland hero) running at, and beating exasperated Villa defenders, with pace, sklll and sheer trickery. (He also scored that day)
The game finished 2-2, and I was hooked for life.

I still get that same buzz, out of going to the match nowadays, almost 50 years on, from that first game, vs Villa.

Back