First place you worked.

Colin was diver there around '80 - '81 iirc. I seem to remember that he was initially employed to clear the dock gates of accumulated sludge etc.
Aye, that'll be him them.
Didn't know that he had died.
RIP Colin.:cry:

Aye, he got employed to clean out the "chase" that the caisson (floating dock gate) sat in. Albert le Blond used to use a local diver called Ron Hodgson to do this, but he employed
"Bubbles" direct to this and also to do the odd-jobs around the place.
I got made redundant in May 1981 - and never went back. I was off on my travels around the world chasing the money. I went to work in the shipyards in West Germany as it was then, and doubled my wages. Had to graft for it mind, but earning good poke for a 21 year-old.

Market Force in Hendon `84` , got given a pallet truck to shift pallets of items around the warehouse, was like being given a big skateboard at that age .

Aye Jim could numb you!

I was one of those bastards!

Did I meet you?
Laws supermarket in Suddick stacking and general duties on a night after school,eat and drank for two hours each night until argument with the manager then left. Sunday morning paper round with Carter’s in Southwick again, Christmas tips were great then started apprenticeship with the elite shipyard on the wear.The rest is history!
Beginning of the end iirc!!
I ended up there as the yards were closing one by one.
Nee Thompsons/laings/pallion like. :lol::lol::lol:
Still have fond memories of the lads i served my time with from pickies.... great days (34 years ago :eek:).
Outdoor Activity Association - Silksworth Row 1985, loved the outdoor stuff and the people, hope they are all doing well.
As an apprentice at the shipyards we were given every friday as sport and recreation, spent many a friday there. Went climbing, absailed from the underside of wearmouth bridge and even went skiing in scotland (Glenshee) all while getting paid.

Last edited:
Walter Wilson's Stanley. Stacking shelves on a Saturday then a few extra afternoons for a couple of months between leaving school and starting my YTS at Derwentside ITEC in Consett.

Beginning of the end iirc!!
I ended up there as the yards were closing one by one.
Nee Thompsons/laings/pallion like. :lol::lol::lol:
Still have fond memories of the lads i served my time with from pickies.... great days (34 years ago :eek:).

As an apprentice at the shipyards we were given every friday as sport and recreation, spent many a friday there. Went climbing, absailed from the underside of wearmouth bridge and even went skiing in scotland (Glenshee) all while getting paid.
What trade at Pickies?
Sunderland AFC in September 1970 - Started in the office. There was a typist and an accounts clerk and me. Ron Linney joined 2 months later. Alan Brown left and Bob Stokoe came. Increased admin staff to 4 and I became Ron's assistant. It was the 5 of us who did all the arrangements for ticket sales for the Cup run. We were working 14 hour days during the Cup run and I cannot remember many problems tbh. Leeds United asked me to go there in 73 offering to double my wage - I accepted. Less than a year later Ron Linney rang me and asked me to go back. I did and stayed there for nearly 4 years. Jimmy Adamson came in - what a prat! He had never been to a big club before and didn't know how a big club worked. The place went from a place of laughter to a place of people looking behind to see if anyone was listening. Leeds United asked me to go back there a few months later and I stayed there for 8 years. Then I had to do a proper job - long time ago now. My time at Roker was the best experience of my life. Now happily retired in North Yorkshire and loving it.
You knew Fred Bailey then ?
Sister worked there around then.
Stan Ferguson’s ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Left school summer of '78 and straight onto a Government Training Scheme (GTS), I got put into the Durham Fire Brigade HQ at Framwellgate Moor and had a cracking time. There was an ex-Sunderland player there at the time working as a janitor, Alan Gauden. Cracking bloke, funny as owt. Loved me time there, met some cracking lads (and lasses) and one of them is still a big mate to this day. I'd been put into the stores and learnt that side of things so when the year was up moved into Phili Stores for the NCB as they were then, and never really looked back.

Bank Top garage on Boldon bank around 1980. Stayed 6 weeks before moving to a tyre factory in Chester le street.
Then left to work for the Neeb,Northern Electric,Npower
Norman Miller Roofing in birtley from 85 to around 88.
They had the yard next to ours in Chester le street.
Norman and his sons Davy and Colin?

Last edited:

Back