First place you worked.

The Northern Rock call centre at Doxy answering calls about them changing from a building society to a bank. Turns out people get quite angry when it comes to getting basically free money. Still, it was a canny bunch of people to work with who enjoyed a drink and a night out so it was a canny laugh.
I think they were proved right.

I had a Saturday job in Currys in Durham for a few months in 1970 when I was 16, then in 1971 I started proper work as an apprentice fitter at CA Parsons in Heaton. It's amazing to see that area in Heaton now - I think there's just the Reyroll's building still standing. Tens of thousands of people worked in precision engineering in that area & practically all long gone, and the same story repeated again & again across the country. Fuck me but I'm a miserable depressing old git these days.

Sunderland AFC in September 1970 - Started in the office. There was a typist and an accounts clerk and me. Ron Linney joined 2 months later. Alan Brown left and Bob Stokoe came. Increased admin staff to 4 and I became Ron's assistant. It was the 5 of us who did all the arrangements for ticket sales for the Cup run. We were working 14 hour days during the Cup run and I cannot remember many problems tbh. Leeds United asked me to go there in 73 offering to double my wage - I accepted. Less than a year later Ron Linney rang me and asked me to go back. I did and stayed there for nearly 4 years. Jimmy Adamson came in - what a prat! He had never been to a big club before and didn't know how a big club worked. The place went from a place of laughter to a place of people looking behind to see if anyone was listening. Leeds United asked me to go back there a few months later and I stayed there for 8 years. Then I had to do a proper job - long time ago now. My time at Roker was the best experience of my life. Now happily retired in North Yorkshire and loving it.

Talking of wastage. I worked for an engineering company in Scotland. We fabricated offshore structures for fmc, for example, you can buy a bag of 100 m6 crush washers for a few quid. We had to use their suppliers and the same crush washers were £6.00 each.

Hasn’t changed, aircraft carrier at Hebburn a few year ago was exactly the same. Blew my mind how flippant they were... suppose the taxpayer was paying it ultimately!

Window Profile, Leechmere Ind Est, Circa 1995

9 hours a day making UPVC windows and doors, absolutely mind numbing job. I didn't last long.
Aye Jim could numb you!
Y.T.S at local butchers while i was waiting to start Sunderland Shipbuilders as an apprentice welder, 1985. About a year before it became Northeast Shipbuilders and we joined them bastards from pickies :lol:
I was one of those bastards!
Ooo err
I once worked as a waiter in a cocktail bar
Did I meet you?
Laws supermarket in Suddick stacking and general duties on a night after school,eat and drank for two hours each night until argument with the manager then left. Sunday morning paper round with Carter’s in Southwick again, Christmas tips were great then started apprenticeship with the elite shipyard on the wear.The rest is history!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you know a diver called Colin Fraser who worked for Albert LeBlond? He was a mate of mine. He emigrated to Oz and then died on his honeymoon in Belize when he got a cramp while diving after a meal and drowned.
There was a commercial diver we nicknamed "Bubbles" when I was there.
He taught some of the apprentices how to dive.
I cannot remember his name, but the name you mentioned does ring a bell (excuse pun).

My Dad's firewood and paraffin round when I was 10. Started a full time job just prior to my 15th birthday (1970) at the DHSS (The Ministry) at Longbenton. Which was just over an hour on a special bus from Dipton. God it was depressing.

There was a commercial diver we nicknamed "Bubbles" when I was there.
He taught some of the apprentices how to dive.
I cannot remember his name, but the name you mentioned does ring a bell (excuse pun).

Colin was diver there around '80 - '81 iirc. I seem to remember that he was initially employed to clear the dock gates of accumulated sludge etc.

Back