First Line IT/Helpdesk

Maybe I've forgot the bad bits, but I quite enjoyed my time in 1st line. Suppose it was only 6 months, so by the time I learned it, I never had time to get bored of it before moving on to something else.

What I will say though, is that the quality of work done in 1st line absolutely defines the quality of the entire delivery of an organisation.
People may scoff, but every company I've worked with, its been absolutely the case.

What I will say though, is that the quality of work done in 1st line absolutely defines the quality of the entire delivery of an organisation.
People may scoff, but every company I've worked with, its been absolutely the case.
I agree, it can be the difference between a 10 minute fix and a week of delays from what I've seen.

Maybe I've forgot the bad bits, but I quite enjoyed my time in 1st line. Suppose it was only 6 months, so by the time I learned it, I never had time to get bored of it before moving on to something else.

going back to it after years has been Brutal im so glad its only a filler till i start my new role, tbf ive managed to fix most things but some right arsey fuckers working at the Council and the Long Term staff here (the perms) as so bloody miserable.

and its massively understaffed there is usually 5-10 calls in the queue till at least dinnertime, hey ho only a few weeks to go

going back to it after years has been Brutal im so glad its only a filler till i start my new role, tbf ive managed to fix most things but some right arsey fuckers working at the Council and the Long Term staff here (the perms) as so bloody miserable.

and its massively understaffed there is usually 5-10 calls in the queue till at least dinnertime, hey ho only a few weeks to go
Aye, can't say I'd relish going back to it 10 years later mind. It was always the goal to get out as soon as possible - almost everyone had the same goal when I joined up.

The biggest problem there at that time was the number of people who'd come from call centre backgrounds & couldn't get their head around the concept that focusing on fixing things would lead to less need to focus on answering as many calls as possible.

The biggest problem there at that time was the number of people who'd come from call centre backgrounds & couldn't get their head around the concept that focusing on fixing things would lead to less need to focus on answering as many calls as possible.
That's the ethos that runs right the way through an IT delivery. Good first line tickets lead to better ticket management in 2nd, 3rd line - leads to faster delivery across the board.

As opposed to 2nd line teams having to re-do all of the work, and their inboxes becoming swamped with tickets, and the whole thing falls into a pot of shit.

Its like a boxer's jab - everything works off it

I am David Brent, and I claim my five pounds.

That's the ethos that runs right the way through an IT delivery. Good first line tickets lead to better ticket management in 2nd, 3rd line - leads to faster delivery across the board.

As opposed to 2nd line teams having to re-do all of the work, and their inboxes becoming swamped with tickets, and the whole thing falls into a pot of shit.

I am David Brent, and I claim my five pounds.

I can't remember if Quantum/Courts was still catch & despach when you moved there but from a 3rd line perspective once 1st line were focusing on 1st time fix my job went from predominantly helping 2nd line fix faults reactively & almost no R&D to almost entirely proactive fault prevention & R&D within the space of about a month.

its f***ing shit and users are thick as whale spunk
preaching to the converted here

saying people don't know IT stuff is no excuse for simple things in this day and age..people have been using desktop pcs for decades now in the work environment...theres people here who have been using pc's as long as I have and still cant do the simplest things in the world like make sure your network cable is plugged in or you have actually switched the power on at the plug before you bothered to pick up the phone

Last edited:
I can't remember if Quantum/Courts was still catch & despach when you moved there but from a 3rd line perspective once 1st line were focusing on 1st time fix my job went from predominantly helping 2nd line fix faults reactively & almost no R&D to almost entirely proactive fault prevention & R&D within the space of about a month.
I think it was starting to change as I moved over, but by the time I left it was about 75% fixed at 1st line. As you said earlier, it had some really ace knock on effects across the board - Time spent on the phone didn't even go up, because there were less users calling up to get updates on ticket they'd raised.

Back