First game..(does what it says on the tin)

I will need to check with my brother but pretty sure mine was an away game at Notts Country when I was about 3 or 4 in the mid 70s. The plan was to drop me off at a relatives in Nottingham and my dad and brother would then go to the game but due to time constraints it wasn't possible to do both therefore my dad opted to take me to the game which was the only sensible solution.

A midweek no score bore V Norwich. Must have been September/October 1974.
Andy Hopper in my class was a season ticket holder with his Dad, so instead of having a birthday party he invited a load of us to go to the match.

I’d already been to Roker Park a couple of years earlier, me grandad had took me and me brothers to see Sunderland boys. Sat in the main stand.

I always remember the deep green of the turf, had never seen grass like that in our back garden or even Barnes Park!

1980 v Middlesbrough aged 10

I couldn’t wait to go . An afternoon with my Dad to myself. I’d been weened on youth and reserve games but this was the first team . Hooked. Dad knew what he was doing .....

Thanks Dad.

Easter 1972 we beat Burnley 4-3 at Roker. Think we were 1-3 down at one stage too.

Thanks @toosb really appreciate that- and it would make sense that we were down visiting family at Easter, but I just feel if it had been a seven goal thriller I would remember, it just seems more like a 1-1, 2-1, 2-2 sort of thing, there were goals but not a goal fest. My first few games were well apart being taken by an ST Uncle and Aunt when we lived in Scotland (before moving to North-East and then leaving for North of Scotland - simple upbringing!), then an ST from the start of 75-76.

Back