First few pics which I dont mind showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpongebobMax

Midfield
I have owned a DSLR since dec 27th and am slowly learning (thanks to all of you) so though I would post a few photos. Have lots more but want to show 1 from each outing.

Feel free to say how I would improve them etc and any post processing improvements(which I have tried to do already)

some look under exposed but I didn't want to blow the sun too much

Sponge / Max

ps: be nice with comments :)

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Cheers, how do I alter the horizon. To make it straight , please?

There should be a rotate tool on whatever processing package you use. I reckon it needs a clockwise rotation of about half a degree (but play with it until you get it right). After you've done that you'll need to crop it just a touch to get the edges square again.

I meant to say, I like the composition on the 2nd one and that's a better moon shot that I've ever managed.

Not sure about the Norwegian Blue, I think you could have zoomed a bit closer or taken from a slightly different angle to lose the curtains, nice though I'm sure they are.

Beautiful plumage.

A pretty good start I'd say! One thing that I have noticed is that the subject of most of your shots is centred in these pictures. Whilst it's a good rule to break (for example, breaking it has worked really well on the walkway/bursting street lamp shot), it's still worth bearing in mind the rule of thirds. I think they're pretty good shots, especially considering how new you are to this, I'd just think a little more carefully about composition.

A pretty good start I'd say! One thing that I have noticed is that the subject of most of your shots is centred in these pictures. Whilst it's a good rule to break (for example, breaking it has worked really well on the walkway/bursting street lamp shot), it's still worth bearing in mind the rule of thirds. I think they're pretty good shots, especially considering how new you are to this, I'd just think a little more carefully about composition.

thank you for the comments

I need to abide by the rule of thirds but tbh when I get out to taking a pic I never take my time, its always very rushed.

How do you all find time to take pictures? Do you go with friends or on your own etc?

Sponge

thank you for the comments

I need to abide by the rule of thirds but tbh when I get out to taking a pic I never take my time, its always very rushed.

How do you all find time to take pictures? Do you go with friends or on your own etc?

Sponge

With great difficulty TBH.

I used to shoot girls we found on the internet (model mayhem) with a couple of friends and this disciplined us into setting time aside, I book studio time occasionally which has the same effect (as I pay).

I also have a small studio at home so friends ask me to shoot them there and I shoot stuff in a lightbox there too.

Otherwise I try to put aside half a day every other weekend, but that's not always easy.

I'm probably very guilty of rushing too. I tend to just pick my camera and head out for a walk. The downside of this is that I a) have no real direction/any idea what I'm looking for and b) I tend to walk really quickly so I don't think as clearly about what I'm doing.

I'm actually working on a masters thesis about the learning of photography and I'm very quickly noticing the importance of taking your time. I'm Reading a lot about human perception and when we are taking pictures I guess we're trying to record our perceptions in the most aesthetically pleasing way possible. In order to do so I think we really need to take our time to first of all think really carefully about what we perceived - basically what attracted us to a scene and made us want to photograph it. Then we need to take our time to think about how to capture the scene in the most visually pleasing way - this is where we need to consider composition. If we rush it then I guess we're just not doing ourselves justice.

Where I fall down is I tend to try and photograph too many different things on one trip. I really think it's best to focus in on one object/scene/subject and spend as much time photographing it from different angles/perspectives and with different compositions/exposures/focal lengths. Basically just photograph the fuck out of it! Then afterwards look at the results and see what worked and why. It might feel time consuming at first but after a while it becomes second nature. I don't even think about the rule of thirds now, I just do it most of the time.

Sorry if a lot of this is waffly shite! I'm just Reading loads about this at the moment and thought it might be helpful! I realise that some of it sounds quite poncey but that's academia for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back