"Fireman" Sam

As the original shows creator states it’s a child’s cartoon not some recruitment tool, anyone that is influenced as an adult by a the terminology of what a child’s cartoon is called needs their heads looking at and shouldn’t be doing the job anyway !

As the original shows creator states it’s a child’s cartoon not some recruitment tool, anyone that is influenced as an adult by a the terminology of what a child’s cartoon is called needs their heads looking at and shouldn’t be doing the job anyway !
Pretty much this.

If a children's cartoon character is sufficient to dissuade you from doing something, then you probably aren't cut out to go selflessly into a burning tower block to rescue a trapped family

There's a lot of underlying sexist shite in kids' cartoons - but Sam isn't one of the worst (they're all incompetent fuckwits and Norman Price needs an ASBO mind you) - it's shit like Paw Patrol where the one consistent female pup (Everest only comes in for some episodes so I'm not counting her) is a simpering pink-clad girlie girl who rarely gets allowed out on missions and then they gave every other pup her unique skill of being able to fly that's really crap (and the girl characters get removed from half of the merchandise out there). Or Tweenies where both the girls just simper idiotically and flounce about bickering with each other - and any number of ones where there's 3-4 male characters and one token female one, who invariably wears pink and has a crisis of self confidence every single bloody episode. There's a lot of sexist shit out there - it's getting better but things are really ridiculously gendered for kids at the moment and kids do pick up on it.

Peppa Pig actually - for all her flaws isn't one I'd single out a all though - there's a hell of a lot of humour in that aimed mainly at adults over Daddy Pig thinking he's awesome at everything and f***ing it up and the female characters sorting it all out.

Whilst I think it's all bollocks they're not really on about adults being put off due to cartoons. The argument is from a young age a girl thinks fire fighting isn't for her due to cartoons she is watching, in the same way society apparent shapes them into thinking they should wear dresses, like things that are pink, play as a nurse or princess etc so by the time she is an adult she has already been moulded to some degree.

Pretty much this.

If a children's cartoon character is sufficient to dissuade you from doing something, then you probably aren't cut out to go selflessly into a burning tower block to rescue a trapped family

It's not, as stated above.

Piers Morgan brought it up this morning. In retaliation he said Dora put lads off from being explorers.

He also said loose women discriminated against men, saying they couldn't be loose.

Then he told the two women on the show with him that women were hypocritical as women complained that they were discriminated against for decades, so their solution is to discriminate against men.

That's just the thickest thing ever. She's not called Dora the Explorerwoman. Explorer is a gender-neutral term. The f***ing biff.

They've got a point. They're known as Firefighters so use the correct term.

Whilst I think it's all bollocks they're not really on about adults being put off due to cartoons. The argument is from a young age a girl thinks fire fighting isn't for her due to cartoons she is watching, in the same way society apparent shapes them into thinking they should wear dresses, like things that are pink, play as a nurse or princess etc so by the time she is an adult she has already been moulded to some degree.

So it’s pretty easy to explain that the central character is called Sam and therefore the show is called Fireman Sam, having young kids they don’t look and think at that level and I don’t think they would especially when there’s Penny in there and now a black female firefighter. I don’t think children of 4-8 year old think like on words more than what they can see, when they see plenty of females involved in the show firefighting and not is be shocked if they then think ‘ hold up but it’s called fireman Sam so I obviously can’t do it ‘

For me it’s another example of adults attributing their level of overthinking situation stupidly and unnecessarily and projecting that onto kids

Last edited:
That's just the thickest thing ever. She's not called Dora the Explorerwoman. Explorer is a gender-neutral term. The f***ing biff.

They've got a point. They're known as Firefighters so use the correct term.

His point was it should have been called fire fighter Sam(antha). I think.

Back