Finally Got it

Lateral flows are only for people without symptoms mate. Not a dig as I only found out since getting it. I had 3 days of symptoms with negative laterals then a positive 1 and then positive pcr. I could have been spreading it for days but like you I used my loaf and stayed in.

Sam here, I hadn’t realised that either. I was taking them thinking I was doing what I should be before seeing friends with kids etc, going to the match etc. I wrongly thought a positive lateral flow or three main symptoms led to PCR requirement. So I was testing with my heavy cold symptoms and getting a negative when I was probably positive at that point.

Sam here, I hadn’t realised that either. I was taking them thinking I was doing what I should be before seeing friends with kids etc, going to the match etc. I wrongly thought a positive lateral flow or three main symptoms led to PCR requirement. So I was testing with my heavy cold symptoms and getting a negative when I was probably positive at that point.
Exactly. We’ve been doing it for weeks. Visited my mam a month ago I was coughing loads took a lateral which was negative and went to see her. Good job I never had it then as it would finish her off probably at the minute.

I think the main problem is that people are cracking on as normal with other symptoms. I felt rotten and was sneezing. Not really any fever. Some may have got on with things.

Me and the Mrs confirmed positive this morning. Just as well we are well out of the way in our static van. Felt really shit before we finally got tested yesterday. Both feel exactly the same: Awful constant headaches, continuous coughing/sneezing, sinus totally bunged and worst of all it leaves you absolutely drained beyond comprehension. Both double jabbed as well, wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy

Me and the Mrs confirmed positive this morning. Just as well we are well out of the way in our static van. Felt really shit before we finally got tested yesterday. Both feel exactly the same: Awful constant headaches, continuous coughing/sneezing, sinus totally bunged and worst of all it leaves you absolutely drained beyond comprehension. Both double jabbed as well, wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy

Yeah its the lethargy thats been the worst for me. Horrendous.

Double jabbed means you should be spared the worst. Good luck.

Lateral flows are only for people without symptoms mate. Not a dig as I only found out since getting it. I had 3 days of symptoms with negative laterals then a positive 1 and then positive pcr. I could have been spreading it for days but like you I used my loaf and stayed in.

The other way round isn't it?

Lateral flow tests are quick tests to detect COVID when symptoms are present and PCR test when symptoms are not present or for close contacts of a positive case hence why it takes longer. Lateral flow tests detect a positive test if symptom are present within 15-30 minutes.

The other way round isn't it?

Lateral flow tests are quick tests to detect COVID when symptoms are present and PCR test when symptoms are not present or for close contacts of a positive case hence why it takes longer. Lateral flow tests detect a positive test if symptom are present within 15-30 minutes.
Lateral flow tests are used to detect cases where people are asymptomatic, that's why kids take them a couple of times a week to find cases that otherwise wouldn't be picked up. PCR tests are for people who do have symptoms to confirm if it is Covid or not. PCR tests give more accurate results than lateral flows.

Last edited:
Lateral flow tests are used to detect cases where people are asymptomatic, that's why kids take them a couple of times a week to find cases that otherwise wouldn't be picked up. PCR tests are for people who do have symptoms to confirm if it is Covid or not. PCR tests give more accurate results than lateral flows.

Different to here in Spain then.

I doubt it. Lateral flows and pcr measure two totally different things. There would be no need for pcr test if that were the case.
Unless it’s a different lateral flow of course.

Just had to get my 3 year old a lateral flow test because she's got cough, runny nose and phlegm. Returned a negative but been told to expect her symptoms to last until next summer 🤦.

Anyway, doesn't it make sense that a dirt cheap lateral flow test would at the bear minimum detect positive cases wher symptoms are present? Hoping that a dirt cheap test will find positive for asymptomatic cases is like looking for a needle in a haystack which is why the PCR test is more commonly used to detect asymptomatic cases.

Just had to get my 3 year old a lateral flow test because she's got cough, runny nose and phlegm. Returned a negative but been told to expect her symptoms to last until next summer 🤦.

Anyway, doesn't it make sense that a dirt cheap lateral flow test would at the bear minimum detect positive cases wher symptoms are present? Hoping that a dirt cheap test will find positive for asymptomatic cases is like looking for a needle in a haystack which is why the PCR test is more commonly used to detect asymptomatic cases.
Eh?

LFTs are successful in about 50% of asymptomatic cases?

Taken from What are the different types of Covid-19 test and how do they work?

What is PCR testing?

PCR tests are used to directly screen for the presence of viral RNA, which will be detectable in the body before antibodies form or symptoms of the disease are present. This means the tests can tell whether or not someone has the virus very early on in their illness.

“PCR gives us a good indication of who is infected,” says University of Sussex senior lecturer in microbiology Dr Edward Wright. “They can be isolated and get in contact with people they’ve been in touch with so they can be quarantined too, just in case. That’s the true advantage of the current major diagnostic tests; you can break that transmission chain and get a clearer picture of what’s happening.”

How about a lateral flow test?

LFTs are similar to PCR tests, in that they’re both types of antigen test, designed to pick up active Covid-19 infection rather than antibodies to the disease. With a Covid-19 LFT, a nasopharyngeal sample is placed on a small absorbent pad, which is then drawn along the pad via a capillary line to a strip coated in antibodies, which bind to SARS-Cov-2 proteins. If these proteins are present, this will show as a coloured line on the test, indicating infection.

A review of 64 studies from Europe and the US showed a wide variance in accuracy between different brands of LFT. The review also found that the tests were far better at identifying Covid-19 in people who had symptoms than those who did not. LFT sensitivity in symptomatic people ranged from 34% to 88%, with an average accuracy of 72%. In people without symptoms the LFTs correctly identified an average of 58% of those who were infected.

While the use of LFTs for mass asymptomatic screening has been encouraged in countries like the UK, experts have cast doubt on how useful these types of Covid-19 test really are in this context.

Yeah but once symptoms have started the lateral could give (like mine for two days) a negative result. Resulting in people thinking it’s okay to go out etc etc as the test as said they are okay. If you have have symptoms you MUST isolate and take a pcr.
Over here anyway.

Yeah but once symptoms have started the lateral could give (like mine for two days) a negative result. Resulting in people thinking it’s okay to go out etc etc as the test as said they are okay. If you have have symptoms you MUST isolate and take a pcr.
Over here anyway.
According to a lot advice ,a large proportion of negative LFT’s followed immediately by a positive PCR test is down to people not doing the LFT correctly. The advice on .gov is that the “tonsil” part of the test. Should take at least 45secs and if your not repeatedly gagging , your not doing it properly.

According to a lot advice ,a large proportion of negative LFT’s followed immediately by a positive PCR test is down to people not doing the LFT correctly. The advice on .gov is that the “tonsil” part of the test. Should take at least 45secs and if your not repeatedly gagging , your not doing it properly.
That I understand, more reasons to take a pcr.

The UK government has spunked loads of money on giving free lateral flow tests which only gives 58% accuracy on asymptomatic cases. It's more or less like flipping a coin.

Back