Final Fantasy 14 - I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it!

coyneeee

Winger
Game had a horrendous reputation upon release and after the reboot. But a more streamlined experience in patch 5.0, a new system from 5.0 onwards where you can play with AI team mates rather than human players giving it a more single player experience has made it the most profitable Final Fantasy game of the franchise.

Finally finished the story after 5 months, that's how long it is, with a new Expansion out on the 19th which is said to be twice as long as the previous expansion.

There's a free trial up until level 60 and the very last quest of the Heavensward Expansion

Square Enix this week released a new code of conduct where criticising players or trash talking is outright banned and you literally get put into jail until the ban is up, to combat any anxiety playing with other Human players.

Honest opinion on the game and expansions -

Vanilla FF14 - Boring story and extremely long, took about 6 weeks to finish (and that's after the streamlined experience) - Last cutscene is very good however and sets the platform for the rest of the entire story
Heavensward - 1 of the best stories in the Final Fantasy franchise, up there with 7, 8, 9, 10 etc.
Stormblood - Serious downgrade from HW but not as bad as Vanilla, definitely in between.
Shadowbringers - Good story, you can tell this is where Square Enix decided they wanted 14 to be their main project for the foreseeable future - Massive budget upgrades all over the place, system upgrades such as single player play etc from here. Combat is about 10 times quicker also which was another main criticism of the original 14 series

Shadowbringers is effectively a glorified FF8 with the end raid bosses being
Griever and Ultemecia, with cameos from summons such as Eden, Bahamut and Quezcotl
with a new job/class who uses a Gunblade with Squall's attire and another character using Seifer's attire, it's so blatant they're not even trying to hide it :D

The next Expansion, Endwalker is leaning more towards FF10 and FF10-2 with the same old story of returning summons and ones who have yet to appear
Anima and the Magus Sisters

You can play with anyone on the same data centre, but doesn't have to be on the same server, so if anyone wants to give a shot I'm on the Light Data Centre

Played on and off for a few years, never caught up with the end of the story. Somewhere in Heavensward iirc, have the third expansion but don't think I ever got up to it.

There's some classes where you're using 2 buttons at the same time to do for a full rotation, must end up with carpal tunnel on a controller :D

I have really knackered my hands in the past (I play controller on PC) - back when Eureka grinding levels was a thing and you were just running rotations constantly for hours.
I played it for a long while, still have an active account on Hyperion but I've drifted away from it recently. Soundtrack is brilliant though - if they do the orchestral tour again it's well worth going to see - Soken is just bloody insane.

I have really knackered my hands in the past (I play controller on PC) - back when Eureka grinding levels was a thing and you were just running rotations constantly for hours.
I played it for a long while, still have an active account on Hyperion but I've drifted away from it recently. Soundtrack is brilliant though - if they do the orchestral tour again it's well worth going to see - Soken is just bloody insane.

Their own dedicated band they got in with Soken as lead singer since Shadowbringers is the best music in angame and it’s not even close.

Insatiable will remembered forever as it’s the boss music and it’ll be badly missed when they change music for Endwalker.

His remixes of the legendary Uematsu like the FF8 boss music, Ultemecia music etc aren’t letting his legacy down either

Last edited:
It’s the targeting I couldn’t get used to on a joypad.
I can't remember the key combination offhand but you basically want to turn the controller targeting mode to enemies only. Once you do that it's gravy.

And Soken's band are The Primals - we went to get some stuff signed by Yoshida and Soken and Soken was overjoyed that my fella had his Primals CD there to be signed and was all "VERY VERY VERY GOOD CD". Dude is hilarious.
- dunno if anyone's seen this - Soken had cancer during the Covid lockdowns and basically composed the most recent music from a recording studio set around his hospital bed - this was the player base response when this was all announced.

I can't remember the key combination offhand but you basically want to turn the controller targeting mode to enemies only. Once you do that it's gravy.

And Soken's band are The Primals - we went to get some stuff signed by Yoshida and Soken and Soken was overjoyed that my fella had his Primals CD there to be signed and was all "VERY VERY VERY GOOD CD". Dude is hilarious.
- dunno if anyone's seen this - Soken had cancer during the Covid lockdowns and basically composed the most recent music from a recording studio set around his hospital bed - this was the player base response when this was all announced.

He did a behind closed doors concert before he announced he had Cancer, he already knew at the time but didn't tell anyone, he did it for the fans who couldn't attend the annual fanfest because of COVID

The first song is Insatiable I was talking about, absolute banger, the best boss music in FF.

10 year anniversary presser live streamed from Japan, they intend on continuing the game until 2032.

The biggest news is they want to expand their single player system into the base FF14 game from August so the entire game becomes a single player game from start to finish - With Vanilla and Heavensward currently free that's over 300 hours of free content which can be played solo.
Only the end game stuff will be MMO stuff.

The other big announcement is they're moving to a brand new Graphics and game engine from mid-way 2023 so RIP PS4 and cheap PCs

Back