Filums or series ripe for remakes

I really hope not. The original is an absolute classic

Wasn’t Peter Jackson looking at doing a remake of the Dambusters? I’m sure I’ve read that one of the big issues was the code word that was used when a dam was breached
And the name of his dog might create some, also. ;)
Most films couldn't be remade in anything like the same set up due to the sheer amount of complaints from the pc brigade.

I thank my lucky stars I got to see all the stuff that looks tacky by today's standards in terms of technology but fantastic in terms of raw acting.
How could you ever recreate Frankenstein without a good old black and white set up with the most basic of special effects of the time?

I laugh at seeing it all now, just as I did with Jaws. But what classics and how scary were they for a young kid of the time?

Last edited:

I think a reboot of Bread would be good. Where there’s still 7 full grown adults living under the same terraced roof and Joey is still going about in his leathers.

Shout out for @Cockney Mackem 's podcast Double Reel, where he and Jnr. rant and rave about crappy re-makes in their Hatewatch feature.
However, Cockleshell Heroes is crying out for a proper re-make because the original 1956 version was only vaguely factual, and had the American José Ferrer as second in command because he brought the money.
Something like ‘where eagles dare’type of film. Directed by Nolan.
love to see that
Maybe they should get Nolan to have a go at that, basing it on Paddy Ashdown's excellent book 'A Brilliant Little Operation' which, as well as documenting the damaging of Axis ships and the valliant escape of two Marines, investigates the other Marines' executions under Hitler's war crime Commando Order, the four poor sods who ended up in Paris with the Gestapo (but didn't give up any of the people who helped them) and the machinations in London with two secret agencies keeping secrets from each other. Mountbatten and Churchill wouldn't come out of it well, mind, but it would make a cracking drama. It was essentially a suicide mission, and the French and the Marines still honour it every year. We will be going to the 75th Anniversary in Bordeaux in November, hopefully.

Last edited:
Similar to The Cassandra crossing- The Andromeda Strain.although a cursory google informs me it was remade as a mini series in 2018.

Sorry, I typed that as I was working, had to deal with a work phone call so never got around to finishing....

I was replying to @Nukehasslefan say that as a young ‘un those are the films I remember creeping me out. I had nightmares after watching Demon Seed and Cassandra crossing

Shout out for @Cockney Mackem 's podcast Double Reel, where he and Jnr. rant and rave about crappy re-makes in their Hatewatch feature.
However, Cockleshell Heroes is crying out for a proper re-make because the original 1956 version was only vaguely factual, and had the American José Ferrer as second in command because he brought the money.

Maybe they should get Nolan to have a go at that, basing it on Paddy Ashdown's excellent book 'A Brilliant Little Operation' which, as well as documenting the damaging of Axis ships and the valliant escape of two Marines, investigates the other Marines' executions under Hitler's war crime Commando Order, the four poor sods who ended up in Paris with the Gestapo (but didn't give up any of the people who helped them) and the machinations in London with two secret agencies keeping secrets from each other. Mountbatten and Churchill wouldn't come out of it well, mind, but it would make a cracking drama. It was essentially a suicide mission, and the French and the Marines still honour it every year. We will be going to the 75th Anniversary in Bordeaux in November, hopefully.

Thanks for the shout out :cool:

Successful remakes usually work when there's a reason to do it again, like the first version didn't quite nail it the first time or was constrained by technical or censorship limitations that no longer apply. Occasionally someone manages it with a film that seemed perfect the first time because a new version works for a new era or generation like Scarface or Invasion of the Body Snatchers. But imagine if someone remade The Godfather
Quatermass and the Pit

I would suggest The Quatermass Experiment first, since Nigel Kneale was unhappy with that film version of his original work

Last edited:

Back