Films that were lauded when they came out but turns out they were absolute shite

Was the Last Jedi lauded? I thought it was panned as soon as it came out. Force Awakens less so for sure
Force Awakens had everyone clamouring for it. But over time, I think most now agree with me - it was nothing but a blatent re-hash of the original film. Lazy storytelling and set the tone for a terrible trilogy arc that was never sorted out before they started making the films, and they just made it all up as they went along. And you can tell.
Said all along, at least the prequels added to the SW story, even if they were not the type of films people wanted to see (they weren't largely space battles). The follow up trilogy were flashy, but shit.
Avatar was nominated for an Oscar for Best Picture.
Best Picture.
Of the year.
Jesus.
In the IMAX, it was genuinely breathtaking to watch. The 3D and the detail on the screen in general were a gigantic step forward.
So much so that you didn't really care what the story was.
It was awesome. Until you watched it again at home, and it was really poor.
And if you’re not into that sort of thing?

Our teacher read The Hobbit to us in the first year. Don’t think we finished but thought it was immature shite for bairns - at age 11!

Got persuaded to read LOTR by some hippie types in college. It went on and on and on and on and on. The doom and fear of the black riders at the beginning set up an expectation that was never realised as they continued walking, walking, walking ...

I think my lass at the time persuaded me to watch the fillum of LOTR when it came out - one of the few times I’ve actually fallen asleep at the pictures. It went on and on and on. The ginger bloke screaming “Mister Frodo!” (Oh I see it’s no longer “master” as that would imply non PC indentured servitude?” as he runs into the lake even though he can’t swim was embarrassing. Even my lefty mate said he was a “disgrace to the working class!”😁

Many years later they stretch the cash cow to make The Hobbit into three fillums. Our lass rented the disc. Gratuitous cinematic wanking with all the special effects as they’re throwing the plates around at the dinner party. Get on with it man, it’s obvious what you’re doing. Shite!
Exactly the same. Bored me to tears.

Ignore the wrestling bit of this video, they make a class joke about LoTR:
at the 1min mark (although watch the earlier bit for context)
Never watched or read any Harry Potter. LOTR, all these science fiction films. All rubbish.
How is magic "science fiction" :lol:
Ah, ignore that, I think I see what you mean now.

Last edited:

Karate kid with jaden smith
Gladiator's class.

No Country For Old Men's a bit meh.
Last 20 minutes are an anticlimax like munich.
I think The Departed is a good film, but ya right about The Irishman - could have easily been an hour shorter. I'm not sure I'll ever watch that one again. Could quite fancy watching The Departed again however and have seen it two or three times before.
The departed is awful.
I raise you moonlight and the pianist.

Last edited:
Blair Witch
Gladiator (I know I’m the only one who thinks this though)
Any of the Lord of the Rings
Fuck Reet off
Prometheus
Blair Witch Project
Inception
Wtf man. All of them btw. Haway!!
The departed, thought it was long and boring.
The Irishman, heard great stuff and again...long and boring
This is getting ridiculous this like.
Fight Club
Finally. Someone taking sense. It’s garbage.
Dead Poets Society
A set of privilged middle & upper class tossers, wanting to be actors
Watched it in the Cimema and people around me were crying

A pile of sentimental horse shit
This lad also Nars the proper crack.
The Deer Hunter
Mods. Can I officially request this bastard is banned for life. Grounds - lunacy! Ffs

Last edited:
A good book doesn't have to be fsctual. Amazingly some factual books are shite.

My final word -

• Drafts of Lord of the Rings were read aloud to Oxford's "Inklings" literary group, including Lewis and Charles Williams. Once, as Tolkien began a chapter, a mutter was heard from the back of the room: "Oh God, not another f***ing elf."

Just cut out the uncultured bit. It is all made up - give me facts - The Zulu Wars, The American Civil War, Nelson Madela's struggles, Thomas More and his fight against the establishment. The Lives of the Ceasers by Suetonius, Peterloo.
So you don’t rate any fiction then?

Force Awakens had everyone clamouring for it. But over time, I think most now agree with me - it was nothing but a blatent re-hash of the original film. Lazy storytelling and set the tone for a terrible trilogy arc that was never sorted out before they started making the films, and they just made it all up as they went along. And you can tell.
Said all along, at least the prequels added to the SW story, even if they were not the type of films people wanted to see (they weren't largely space battles). The follow up trilogy were flashy, but shit.

You're right about Force Awakens. It screwed the rest of the trilogy by just being a cover version of A New Hope that didn't give the story anywhere to go. Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker were rightly criticized when they came out but Force Awakens was actually the source of the problems.

The prequels were shite for a different reason. Almost without exception George Lucas's ideas for films always turn out better when someone else takes his idea and films it (e.g. Indiana Jones). There's an interesting story in the prequels but it's bogged down by so much boring tedious nonsense, not to mention one of the worst actors of all time playing the pivotal character

Crash (the Oscar winner not the Cronenberg one) - proper route one mawkish Oscar bait shite
Titanic - Just a bog standard melodrama killing time until they can sink a ship
Dark Knight Trilogy - Completely poe faced, overtly serious versions of a grown man who dresses up as a bat at night. At least Tim Burton knew the inherent ridiculousness of the premise and played to it. And Christian Bale's phone sex pervert voice as batman is risible.
Blade Runner 2020 - overlong, pretentious and did nothing the original didn't do better.
The King's Speech - pampered posh bloke has a stutter, whoop de doo.
Doctor Sleep - another outrageously overlong slog, devoid of any of the artistry of the original and played out like a typical under par Stephen King TV adaptation.
The Hateful Eight - eight characters talking in a shed for what seemed like weeks. See also Kill Bill, another absolute indulgence, making a bog standard simple kung fu movie is one thing, but stretching it out to over four hours, no need.
I don't know how 50 people or whatever could be sat at the read through, for Christian Bale to say, "yeah, I'm thinking of doing the voice like this:" and for no-one to burst out laughing or say "are you taking the f***ing piss Chris?"

You're right about Force Awakens. It screwed the rest of the trilogy by just being a cover version of A New Hope that didn't give the story anywhere to go. Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker were rightly criticized when they came out but Force Awakens was actually the source of the problems.

The prequels were shite for a different reason. Almost without exception George Lucas's ideas for films always turn out better when someone else takes his idea and films it (e.g. Indiana Jones). There's an interesting story in the prequels but it's bogged down by so much boring tedious nonsense, not to mention one of the worst actors of all time playing the pivotal character
I’m nothing more than a casual viewer of Star Wars (immature shite for bairns!) but you’ve pretty much nailed it here cockers!

I laughed out loud at HC’s wooden delivery of “I’ve got a bad feeling about this”!

Last edited:

Revenge of the sith is my fave star wars film.

I'm definately in the minority with that view i know. Phantom & attack of the clones was naff though.

Back