Films that were lauded when they came out but turns out they were absolute shite

So what you’re really saying here is that you’ve never read the books, isn’t it?
I read the books when I was about 12 or 13 and the first of the films came out when I was 17.

I’m not sure how it’s relevant - if you have to have read a book to enjoy the movie it kind of proves my point that the films are pretty shite. In fact it usually helps if you haven’t read the book because most Hollywood adaptations change loads form the book.

Last edited:
Hereditary - the critics went mental for it. Best horror in decades, top 10 films ever etc.

I just don't understand why, the plot feels like it never goes anywhere. The lass who pulls heads off birds just dies after 30 minutes then a whole load of fuck all happens. The characters are incredibly dull and I gave up after about an hour.

Probably on par with The Nun as the worst horror I've seen in recent years.

I read the books when I was about 12 or 13 and the first of the films came out when I was 17.

I’m not sure how it’s relevant - if you have to have read a book to enjoy the movie it kind of proves my point that the films are pretty shite. In fact it usually helps if you haven’t read the book because most Hollywood adaptations change loads form the book.
I also read the books when I was about 18 and thought the films were fantastic visualisations of them. I don’t know how anyone could say they were shite if they were into that sort of thing.

Was the Last Jedi lauded? I thought it was panned as soon as it came out. Force Awakens less so for sure
Critics and press pre-release were going nuts for it, then the public saw it and realised it was terrible.
I also read the books when I was about 18 and thought the films were fantastic visualisations of them. I don’t know how anyone could say they were shite if they were into that sort of thing.
Return of the King got the Oscar and it's by far the worst of the three. In places it's terrible and a mess compared to the books. Watchable though.

The first two are decent.

Last edited:
Critics and press pre-release were going nuts for it, then the public saw it and realised it was terrible.

Return of the King got the Oscar and it's by far the worst of the three. In places it's terrible and a mess compared to the books. Watchable though.

The first two are decent.
The ghost army is terrible and there’s a bit too much bromance and cgi going on like. But I think you have to take them as one long film. When I saw the intro bit to fellowship, I’ve never been more excited about anything at the pictures.
The
Hereditary - the critics went mental for it. Best horror in decades, top 10 films ever etc.

I just don't understand why, the plot feels like it never goes anywhere. The lass who pulls heads off birds just dies after 30 minutes then a whole load of fuck all happens. The characters are incredibly dull and I gave up after about an hour.

Probably on par with The Nun as the worst horror I've seen in recent years.
The bairn has just discovered it and is waking about going the clicking thing all the time. Which is annoying. The ending is so shit that people actually groaned in the pictures and were laughing about it on the way out.

Last edited:
Not sure this was ever lauded mind.
It was absolute shite however. Decent soundtrack though.

Seemed to remember it being hyped up and having high expectations at the time. Especially with the cast they had. Was gutted I wasted money on it :lol:

Dances With Smurfs
:lol:
The ghost army is terrible and there’s a bit too much bromance and cgi going on like. But I think you have to take them as one long film. When I saw the intro bit to fellowship, I’ve never been more excited about anything at the pictures.
The

The bairn has just discovered it and is waking about going the clicking thing all the time. Which is annoying. The ending is so shit that people actually groaned in the pictures and were laughing about it on the way out.
Fellowship is the best one like - tremendous film to be honest - and pretty faithful.

I suppose they could have given some indication to the fact 17 years had passed between Bilbo's party and Gandalf coming back to ask if the ring's safe, but to be honest it doesn't alter the pace of the film, and if you know, you know.
Each one was far far too long.
Can't agree there, and I've got the extended editions.

I look forward the Second Age series. :cool:

Last edited:
All the hate for Avatar.

Anyone would think that having a paraplegic soldier sent across the galaxy to take charge of an avatar of a ten foot blue dreadlocked alien to convince other aliens that live in floating mountains to bugger off so that a mining company could pillage their habitat of a rare mineral called unobtainium but then getting distracted by wanting to buck one of said aliens was a daft concept for a film or something.

Back