Films that were lauded when they came out but turns out they were absolute shite

Heaven’s Gate.
Fantasia
Wrath of Khan
Heaven’s Gate is beautiful.
I clicked on the last page of this thread out of curiosity and confident that some of it may upset me.

I agree that Gone With The Wind is 'of its time' - trying to read the book, but god it's slow. But it's a good film of its day. Some uncomfortable moments for the woke in there.

Blade Runner; Go to your room. No tea, No telly, no games. PJs on and straight to bed. Think about what you said and see me later.

2001: See Gone With The Wind.

I dislike John Wayne as a person (what I know about him) but The Searcher, Stagecoach, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon... (what was the other John Ford one) are classics. Or maybe I'm nostalgic.
Quiet Man.

Last edited:
His line was "They say he is the son of god ". Made you chuck up . He should have added the hell he is ,(in his cowboy voice)

This bit of trivia always springs to mind when I think of that film and John Wayne.....

“Producer and director George Stevens did many takes of John Wayne's single line, "Truly, this man was the Son of God." A rumor has long persisted that at one stage, Stevens pled with Wayne to show more emotion, an overwhelming sense of awe. During the next take, Wayne changed the line to, "Aw, truly this man was the Son of God."

Let’s not forget that this is man who brought “Thor” into the SMB lexicon due to his cut and paste of an o line review of said film, then his attempts at a cover up (someone hacked me account) which was lamer than Arthur Askey with a chalkie!

I wondered where they came from. But I’ve forgotten already.
Quiet Man.

...for Maureen OHara

Last edited by a moderator:
:-O Noooooooooooo!

Two hours worth of story crammed into five and a half hours, that labours under the illusion that Uma Thurman just has to walk in front of the camera and magic happens, unaccountably told out of sequence trying to be clever (except you're not going to show us the end of the revenge story yet are you? No.), instead of a story it's a set of needless references to old cheap films that at least didn't spend hours pretending to be a lot more important than they are, a f***ing SHITE unnecessary animé sequence, and not one moment of the great dialogue or characterisation you actually watch a Tarantino film for. The Emperor's New Yellow Bruce Lee Tracksuit.

It can fuck right off. Especially volume 2.

But at least it's not Death Proof.
Also

American Hustle
Life is Beautiful
Shakespeare in Love

Last edited:

Back