film camera's

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpongebobMax

Midfield
Evening Chaps,

I thought I would come in this part of the site to get away from the footy talk to clear the head.

I have a Sony a390 with old minolta, sigma lenses etc.

What old style film camera's can I get, something cheap to mess around with?

anybody selling anything bog standard to fit any of the lenses I would have?

Anything I should know about film before I go getting one.

Sponge

I used to have a Minolta 7000. I'm sure your lenses should fit one. Can get them cheap, and they are decent.

I've got one of these. Never used it (I bought it as it was attached to a minolta 50mm f1.7 lens!) but your lenses will fit. It's bloody ugly mind!

SpongebobMax said:
any advice on what one i can get?

Depends on your lenses, I'd imagine. Your Minolta lenses should work on any Minolta film SLR, thought may be manual focus. No big deal.

I'd get one you like the look of that is in good nick - should only cost £15 or so - then give it a go. Personally, I'd get a good older model - something from the 70s or whatever that's interesting to look at and likely to produce images a bit different to modern cameras.

One of my favourite cameras is my Nikon EM - easily the cheapest camera I own, but there's something distinctive about the shots from it.

....at is in good nick - should only cost £15 or so - then give it a go. Personally, I'd get a good older model - something from the 70s or whatever that's interesting to look at and likely to produce images a bit different to modern cameras.

One ....
How do images change over time? :)

Depends on your lenses, I'd imagine. Your Minolta lenses should work on any Minolta film SLR, thought may be manual focus. No big deal.

I'd get one you like the look of that is in good nick - should only cost £15 or so - then give it a go. Personally, I'd get a good older model - something from the 70s or whatever that's interesting to look at and likely to produce images a bit different to modern cameras.

One of my favourite cameras is my Nikon EM - easily the cheapest camera I own, but there's something distinctive about the shots from it.

thanks for the advice mate,

Do you reckon this would this be sufficient?

http://www.rockycameras.com/minolta-dynax-5000i-slr-camera--35-70mm-lens-1799-8906-p.asp

Cheers
Max

or maybe this?

http://www.rockycameras.com/minolta-7000i-autofocus-slr-camera-1499-17593-p.asp

Last edited:

I reckon so - I don't know owt about Minoltas mind, but would assume that the lenses would be universal across the various models.

If it was my money I'd be tempted with this - http://www.rockycameras.com/minolta-x-700-professional-slr-camera-2499-18820-p.asp - it's an older pro model, meaning that it's probably better built, albeit older and manual focus. It was top of the range in 1981, and I personally prefer manual focus on film.

Bit more dosh, but you'd probably be able to sell it on eBay for a small profit, or at least get your money back.

I reckon so - I don't know owt about Minoltas mind, but would assume that the lenses would be universal across the various models.

If it was my money I'd be tempted with this - http://www.rockycameras.com/minolta-x-700-professional-slr-camera-2499-18820-p.asp - it's an older pro model, meaning that it's probably better built, albeit older and manual focus. It was top of the range in 1981, and I personally prefer manual focus on film.

Bit more dosh, but you'd probably be able to sell it on eBay for a small profit, or at least get your money back.

iv gone for it, tbh I did see that and liked it, ill go for it chap and let you know when it comes.

As I am a film noob what film do I get etc etc?

helppp :)

You might want to check that the Minolta/Sony lenses that you've got for your A390 will work on that...I've a feeling (not 100% sure though) that they won't. As far as I know, the mount on Minoltas was changed in the mid-late 80's for the auto-focus technology. Obviously this camera (though very nice!) pre-dates this so your lenses may not fit.

sorry max, just saw your pm you sent.

i think shed7 is correct on this, like him i cant be 100% sure but im almost certain your lenses wont fit that camera, not without an adaptor anyway and then will only be manual and not auto focus, but all is not lost though as i think the minolta md lenses work on them and they can be had for pennies on ebay etc...but dont quote me on that, think you'll need to do a bit research.

off the top of my head i would be looking at the minolta 7000, 5000, 9000 and 505si, there will be others just cant remember then at the moment.

edit...

save this site mate, very useful for us sony/minolta users

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

and have a look here for compatability

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Minolta_AF_mount

Last edited:
I ordered after 3pm so ill give Rocky a call tomorrow to discuss and see what else he has as ideally I wanna use my af lenses.

maybe the 7000i will be sufficient and a bit different.

Cheers for all the advice lads

iv gone for it, tbh I did see that and liked it, ill go for it chap and let you know when it comes.

As I am a film noob what film do I get etc etc?

helppp :)

This is all part of the joy of film IMO - there isn't a right answer to the question. To start with, find a good supplier. I've started using 7dayshop online - good range of film available and the cheapest I've found. Allow a week to get your delivery though (as the name suggests!).

To start with if you're just messing around, you could do a lot worse than get some of their bargain Fuji Superia 200 colour print film which works out at £1.79 a roll if you buy 5 or more. It's a good general purpose film to get started with.

If you fancy dabbling in B&W a good place to start is one of the films that processes in colour chemicals (C41) like Kodak's BW400CN. "Normal" B&W film is more expensive to get processed usually and fewer places will do it. But if you're interested in processing it yourself it's dead easy (apparently, I haven't tried yet). Then you're looking at films like Kodak Tri-X, T-Max, or Ilford stuff mainly.

For the highest image quality in colour work you probably should use transparency/slide film, though like B&W it's a less easily available process to get the film developed (E6). You get positives instead of negatives. Most highly regarded is probably Fuji Velvia which produces really saturated colours and extremely fine grain. However with slide film your exposure has to be absolutely spot-on, so I'd probably recommend leaving this until you get to grips with print film (colour or B&W).

Another thing to consider is the speed of the film (ISO). Faster (bigger number) eg 400 or 800 provides more flexibility in lower light conditions and allows faster shutter speeds. Slower films (50, 100) need better light conditions but produce finer grained results. Grain isn't necessarily your enemy though - and is one of the appealing elements of film photography IMO, if used to your advantage.

Anyway, that's a few thoughts to start with. As with most things, probably best just to throw yourself in and start experimenting.

Last edited:
This is all part of the joy of film IMO - there isn't a right answer to the question. To start with, find a good supplier. I've started using 7dayshop online - good range of film available and the cheapest I've found. Allow a week to get your delivery though (as the name suggests!).

To start with if you're just messing around, you could do a lot worse than get some of their bargain Fuji Superia 200 colour print film which works out at £1.79 a roll if you buy 5 or more. It's a good general purpose film to get started with.

If you fancy dabbling in B&W a good place to start is one of the films that processes in colour chemicals (C41) like Kodak's BW400CN. "Normal" B&W film is more expensive to get processed usually and fewer places will do it. But if you're interested in processing it yourself it's dead easy (apparently, I haven't tried yet). Then you're looking at films like Kodak Tri-X, T-Max, or Ilford stuff mainly.

For the highest image quality in colour work you probably should use transparency/slide film, though like B&W it's a less easily available process to get the film developed (E6). You get positives instead of negatives. Most highly regarded is probably Fuji Velvia which produces really saturated colours and extremely fine grain. However with slide film your exposure has to be absolutely spot-on, so I'd probably recommend leaving this until you get to grips with print film (colour or B&W).

Another thing to consider is the speed of the film (ISO). Faster (bigger number) eg 400 or 800 provides more flexibility in lower light conditions and allows faster shutter speeds. Slower films (50, 100) need better light conditions but produce finer grained results. Grain isn't necessarily your enemy though - and is one of the appealing elements of film photography IMO, if used to your advantage.

Anyway, that's a few thoughts to start with. As with most things, probably best just to throw yourself in and start experimenting.
Are you a film fan or do you think digital is better?

Are you a film fan or do you think digital is better?

Can't you tell? :)

I am a big film fan, but part of that is because I've never owned a decent quality digital camera other than compacts (I'd definitely like one - ideally a full frame sensor Nikon body which will use all my old Nikkor lenses, but they're way too expensive for me at the moment).

There is definitely something about film, the way it looks, that can't be matched by digital sensors (and vice versa of course, there are many obvious advantages to digital). In a way it comes down to two different versions of a similar process, and it's hard to say one's better than the other: like saying which is better between oil painting and watercolours - they're just different.

I do find that I take better photos with an old film camera, especially if manual focus and manual metering etc, because I'm forced to take my time and therefore spend more time thinking about composition etc.

And I've just picked up a cheap Yashicamat medium format camera, which produces photos of such incredible detail compared to 35mm, or most digital cameras, that for me there's still enough photography to be done with film before I decide to move away from it. I just hope enough others keep doing it in future so film is still made and processed in enough quantity to be financially viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back