FF7 Remake

I liked the changes to the story, I've played through FF7 a dozen times easily over the years, so the expansions and changes were welcome.

Characterisation wise the lasses were too thirsty with Cloud. He's nigh on a mute and surly as fuck at that point, why would they be interested.

Gameplay wise I wouldn't say I really struggled with the battle system, I clocked it, but it certainly didn't "click" with me.

Beautiful looking game imo.
It looked nice mostly, but the copy paste tunnel areas left a lot to be desired and the flat 2D low res backgrounds that were used occasionally were f***ing ugly. I thought it did nothing to improve on the original personally, bar graphics. I foolishly got excited for it after seeing the train intro video and rushed in but I should have stuck with my gut feeling that they'd fuck it up. And they did for me, horribly.

I liked the changes to the story, I've played through FF7 a dozen times easily over the years, so the expansions and changes were welcome.

Characterisation wise the lasses were too thirsty with Cloud. He's nigh on a mute and surly as fuck at that point, why would they be interested.

Gameplay wise I wouldn't say I really struggled with the battle system, I clocked it, but it certainly didn't "click" with me.

Beautiful looking game imo.

Jessie was desperate for a buck.

The characters and models, graphics, music etc were all superb. It really hit all the right notes in terms of nostalgia - though SRG is right that the way all the lasses fawned over Cloud was way OTT. They did a pretty good job of the battle system as well IMO. Wasnt great but when you consider that both fans of the original turn-based combat and action fans both seemed to like it overall thats a hell of an achievement.

Lex is right though that the "levels" were bland, linear and monotonous (especially Hojo's lab). The side quests were painfully dull for the moest part as well. To be honest, most of the time I didnt care, I was such a fan of the original, every time I started to get bored there'd be some nod to the original that would pull me back in (sad I know).

All of the new story elements were poor for me. Its typical of the new square enix. The added background to the likes of avalanche was ok but the original story didnt need much tweaking let alone a whole new arc about whispers, fate etc. In terms of the DLC it looks like a lot of the influence is coming from Dirge of Cerberus which was absolutely appalling. I'll be concerned if they keep bits of DoC, Advent Children and Crisis Core in the game.

The characters and models, graphics, music etc were all superb. It really hit all the right notes in terms of nostalgia - though SRG is right that the way all the lasses fawned over Cloud was way OTT. They did a pretty good job of the battle system as well IMO. Wasnt great but when you consider that both fans of the original turn-based combat and action fans both seemed to like it overall thats a hell of an achievement.

Lex is right though that the "levels" were bland, linear and monotonous (especially Hojo's lab). The side quests were painfully dull for the moest part as well. To be honest, most of the time I didnt care, I was such a fan of the original, every time I started to get bored there'd be some nod to the original that would pull me back in (sad I know).

All of the new story elements were poor for me. Its typical of the new square enix. The added background to the likes of avalanche was ok but the original story didnt need much tweaking let alone a whole new arc about whispers, fate etc. In terms of the DLC it looks like a lot of the influence is coming from Dirge of Cerberus which was absolutely appalling. I'll be concerned if they keep bits of DoC, Advent Children and Crisis Core in the game.

Well put, that.

Planning to replay it soon as was free with PS Plus this month, so wonder if I will feel any different about it.

Bit like staring at a car crash anticipating the follow up games they release.

Enjoying this 30 mins in. I hope I can deal playing the original afterwards
Try not to let us get in your head marra. ;)

Hopefully you enjoy it.

There’s some bits in the remake which are line for line the same and other major plot points which don’t exist in the original. Having played the original the new bits spoil it for me but only because I know the original plot. Newcomers seem to enjoy the remake more than fans of the franchise. If you enjoy the remake then I’d go back to the original. That said it’s aged significantly and you might find it tough to get into.

30 mins into the remake and enjoying it. Loving the style and it looks great. I want to play through the original but the bit in bold worries me.

30 mins into the remake and enjoying it. Loving the style and it looks great. I want to play through the original but the bit in bold worries me.
Have you played the original before? I still love it but reckon the graphics will do your head in if you're a first time player.

You've missed out on some class games marra but the ps one era ones havent aged well visually.

I think as a kid I always had the wrong console and never really thought to buy Final Fantasy Games.

Never had a PS1 (had N64 then Dreamcast). Got a PS2 but think I really only played GTA games and Pro Evolution. I barely played on my PS3 and got the PS4 only in 2016 where it was already up to FF15.

The original blows the remake out of the water, aged graphics or no.

Maybe it's because I grew up with a PSX but I find it very easy to get over retro graphics if the gameplay is superb (which it is). Still play the original PSX metal gear solid now and again and it's quite frankly still one of the best games ever made. I was also playing the original 1993 xcom fairly recently and the graphics in no way detract from the sheer perfection of the gameplay.

Best strategy games ever made. Absolutely rock hard too. Lost many a school holiday to them.

Brilliant but terror from the deep was stupidly hard compared to xcom.

I've even got it on my Laptop both of them as got the collection through Steam. Thought I'd try terror from the deep now as an adult surely I'll be able to do it.

Nope! Still get lashed :lol:

Xcom is one of if not my favourite game ever.

Brilliant but terror from the deep was stupidly hard compared to xcom.

I've even got it on my Laptop both of them as got the collection through Steam. Thought I'd try terror from the deep now as an adult surely I'll be able to do it.

Nope! Still get lashed :lol:

Xcom is one of if not my favourite game ever.

Yep same here. Managed after about 10 years of playing to complete XCom. Terror from the deep on the other hand is just another level of pain. Bought the strategy guide for both before internet guides were a thing and managed to get absolutely nowhere with it. Proper 90s games.

Back