Festivals

Went to Mutiny with mates in its first year at Goodwood. It's a drug festival. By far the worst experience we had in terms of people openly taking drugs - most of which are kids. Go near any of the stages and you're wading through those empty balloon canisters. People were just putting their hands up and shouting for drugs and people would come up and sell. Absolutely surreal. In the camping area people were going tent to tent asking if people wanted anything. Security didn't care at all. They knew who the dealers were and what they were doing and made no attempt to stop it. By the second day you would go into the toilets and people would be stood outside of cubicles dealing to groups of lads who'd then cram in to the cubicle altogether. I actually had someone have a go at me cos I used a cubicle for a shit. It's an absolute clusterf*** of a festival and the organizers know it - they just don't care. Hopefully this is a wake-up call for the local councils to ban it and then we won't have dead kids on our hands next year. One of the victims was 15. FIFTEEN.

When people die “from pills”, what’s normally the actual cause of death?
Several
Over dose , some clubs used to let people test the drugs so you knew the safe level and how much was in the stuff you had.
Over heating was a cause during the raving times, lead to dehydration, heat exhaustion and in extreme cases organ failure.
Hydrocephalus ( brain swelling) through poor management and fluid intake. Sometimes too much, sometimes too little.
I guess some people can also have an allergic reaction to it too.

Several
Over dose , some clubs used to let people test the drugs so you knew the safe level and how much was in the stuff you had.
Over heating was a cause during the raving times, lead to dehydration, heat exhaustion and in extreme cases organ failure.
Hydrocephalus ( brain swelling) through poor management and fluid intake. Sometimes too much, sometimes too little.
I guess some people can also have an allergic reaction to it too.
So, as I always thought, in the majority of cases it’s not the drug “poisoning” you, for want of a better word. It’s how you manage your experience and/or your bodies reaction to it?

In the camping area people were going tent to tent asking if people wanted anything. .

Scene: Beachside hotel in Florida mid 80s. 8AM.

Knock knock(sound of door knocking), Hungover bloke from NE opens door.

Door knocker: “Hi. Do you guys need any coke, acid, hash, weed?”

Hungover bloke from NE: “No thanks we’re British alcoholics” (shuts door).

He was the spitting image of Pacino in Serpico......and I’ve watched a lot of cop shows. Entrapment or not I’m not falling for that trick.

Scene: Beachside hotel in Florida mid 80s. 8AM.

Knock knock(sound of door knocking), Hungover bloke from NE opens door.

Door knocker: “Hi. Do you guys need any coke, acid, hash, weed?”

Hungover bloke from NE: “No thanks we’re British alcoholics” (shuts door).

He was the spitting image of Pacino in Serpico......and I’ve watched a lot of cop shows. Entrapment or not I’m not falling for that trick.

Similar thing happened to us in Ibiza! People were knocking on hotel room doors and taking orders. They'd literally take the order at the door and deliver it to your room later on.

Went to Mutiny with mates in its first year at Goodwood. It's a drug festival. By far the worst experience we had in terms of people openly taking drugs - most of which are kids. Go near any of the stages and you're wading through those empty balloon canisters. People were just putting their hands up and shouting for drugs and people would come up and sell. Absolutely surreal. In the camping area people were going tent to tent asking if people wanted anything. Security didn't care at all. They knew who the dealers were and what they were doing and made no attempt to stop it. By the second day you would go into the toilets and people would be stood outside of cubicles dealing to groups of lads who'd then cram in to the cubicle altogether. I actually had someone have a go at me cos I used a cubicle for a shit. It's an absolute clusterf*** of a festival and the organizers know it - they just don't care. Hopefully this is a wake-up call for the local councils to ban it and then we won't have dead kids on our hands next year. One of the victims was 15. FIFTEEN.

Think you could get in Mutiny as an unaccompanied 13yo.

Similar thing happened to us in Ibiza! People were knocking on hotel room doors and taking orders. They'd literally take the order at the door and deliver it to your room later on.

Yeah, I was just telling the exact same story about Ibiza the other day. Fuckin class!

Think you could get in Mutiny as an unaccompanied 13yo.

Not this year. 16 was the minimum age and if you're 16-17 then you need to go via a separate entrance and have your ID checked.

When we went the main act was delayed by two hours as they were having problems getting people in on time. Apparently having one entrance for 20,000 people wasn't a great idea. I've been reading a few of the comments on the festival and it looks like nothing's changed. The toilets were fucked early on and people were pissing all over the place. They closed all but two of the bars which meant were were waiting for 90 minutes to get served. The bloke thought I was joking when I ordered 16 pints but he can do one if he thinks we were queuing that long again.

The whole thing is just badly ran. Apparently the free water taps on site ran out at 12:30 this year, after that it was £2.50 for a bottle of water. Absolute shambles.

The problem you get at festivals is the hoards of school leavers who have been allowed to go as present for passing their exams or whatever and a lot of them have probably never been away from mummy and daddy before. Some of them have got no real experience of drinks and drugs and they just go mental cos they’re off the leash for the first time.
I’ve had kids round my tent trying to sell me bags of MDMA that could have been any old crystal in a baggie. The young uns aren’t going to traipse all the way to the testing station then come back half an hour later for a result. They’ll just buy any old shit, then drink a slab of fosters at their tent cos they can’t actually afford to drink inside the arena. Then they get found dead.

Thing is...

Even if the pills were safe, why would you save up for ages to get the £200+ ticket price + however much spending cash then take some pills so you spend the entire festival lying in a field out of your head? If you're going to take pills and trip off somewhere in your head, why don't you do it somewhere where they aren't charging stupid admission fees.

To be fair like being cowied up at a rave type event (which I think Mutiny is) is f***ing brilliant, you just have to use your loaf. I couldn't listen to that type of music without being off my tits to be honest as I think it's shite :lol:.

So, as I always thought, in the majority of cases it’s not the drug “poisoning” you, for want of a better word. It’s how you manage your experience and/or your bodies reaction to it?
Overdose is a risk factor in lots. An overdose is what is deamed to be toxic and few test to see if they are taking a toxic dose

Last edited:
When people die off “pills” they are hardly ever ecstasy. Dodgy pills being sold off as cowies. All clubs and festivals should have drug testing kits. You’ve got more chance of dying off painkillers than you have from proper mdma/ecstasy.

When people die off “pills” they are hardly ever ecstasy. Dodgy pills being sold off as cowies. All clubs and festivals should have drug testing kits. You’ve got more chance of dying off painkillers than you have from proper mdma/ecstasy.
But as I said, they are better than nothing, but just too much hassle for most people. There was a documentary about them on recently and it was a case of go in, give your sample, come back in 45 minutes then have a little sit down with someone who explains what you’ve got and the risks. Fuck that, you just want to be able to stick in in a machine that goes bzzzzzz mdma as you’re walking past.

Back